ooooooooooo

FCA looking to block Mahindra

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm glad that Mahindra is a huge company and has the resources to fight a lawsuit like this. I'm also glad I bought mine when I did...I just hope getting parts in the future doesn't become a huge hassle.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
There was a few more from dealers I found after posting the link. Essentialy wanting to be able to continue to service the customers and honor warranties.

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hi AZROX!

I'm going to present you with a differing opinion and I sincerely hope that I don't come across as a troll.. I hope we can have a civil discussion from opposite sides of a coin. Educate me if I'm wrong, I'm open to it! I'm going to present what I believe are facts, but I understand that just because I believe it to be true, doesn't make it fact. Hopefully we can find common ground on that basis.

You stated that Mahindra was producing a "jeep clone", when in fact, it was producing a "GP" vehicle that was licensed to them from the original company that designed and produced the vehicle in question. This license was renewed over and over, regardless of where in the world Mahindra was selling it, this was a license from the original manufacturer when we couldn't get enough of these vehicles in WWII. I feel like FCA is threatened by the fact that Mahindra is giving a bare bones, tough as nails, AFFORDABLE, reliable vehicle that FCA isn't either willing, or prepared to offer!

"If FCA does not spoil Mahindra's attempt with the Roxor (even if it just a side by side), it will be next to impossible to stop the next OEM."

Ok man, look, the way I see it... There could be many, many threats to FCA on the market, that don't need a jeep license. Have you seen the new Ford Bronco? It even has a Creeper gear! I think this will blow the Mall Jeeps out of the water with the off-road enthusiasts. This vehicle has the potential to slaughter jeep sales and lower the price point for all! The Bronco still won't be a bare bones, tough as nails, stripped down off-roader, but I guarantee it will hit FCA in the wallet way more than the Roxor did! The next OEM has already moved farther inland...

I don't feel like FCA and Mahindra will EVER agree to let the Roxor live in the U.S., but it's not up to FCA. The Roxor is a licensed product. Not licensed in India. Not licensed in Scandinavia, or wherever else you can think of. The Roxor is licensed to Mahindra to produce and distribute as the economy allows. Apparently, in the U.S. there is a demand for such a vehicle, go figure...

Hopefully my dissent to your opinion doesn't permit us from having a cold beverage and a civil discussion!

Take Care!

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hi Tinfoil Hat: great conversation and great points.

When i wrote my post, I took what I believe is FCA's (arogant?) position. For instance, FCA does not recognize the license once granted to Mahindra to build the vehicle. If they would, they would not bring legal action against Mahindra. Honestly, i am surprised FCA is pushing this so hard. I think it lends credibility to what our Roxor actually is.

What Mahindra did is - I think - a great move: bring a bare bones vehicle to the US and give the consumer the option to customize. For instance, I have always wanted a Wrangler with a diesel. Unfortunately, Daimler Chrysler (at the time) did not bring them to the US until years after I bought my Wrangler.

To your point: bare bones Wranglers are great. Mine has hand crank windows and not even AC (in Arizona). So, bare bones, a diesel, and options to customize, the Roxor is what i had looked for.

I really enjoy my Roxor for what it is: solid, simple, fun to drive.

B

Bister

This is from Mahindra's statement from last year and I still believe it to be true. So they might have to make some body panel changes, there is nothing in the law suit about the rest like the drivetrain etc, just 'trade dress', it looks too much like a Jeep. So, we see some redesign of the body and the Roxor lives on and we all have the 'retro" model. Then they take all the current bodies they already have and make trailers out of them.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 7.56.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 7.56.22 PM.png

Tokarev

So, we see some redesign of the body and the Roxor lives on and we all have the 'retro" model. Then they take all the current bodies they already have and make trailers out of them.

I said back then, and still believe, that MANA should make the Roxor look like the M151 Mutt. Another American classic albeit not as iconic as the CJ.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I said back then, and still believe, that MANA should make the Roxor look like the M151 Mutt. Another American classic albeit not as iconic as the CJ.

Then they'll get sued by Ford and AM General. That would be cool though.

Tokarev

Roxor says the whole thing is null and void with the changes to the 2020 year model. I guess we'll juat have to see what happens.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The 2021 models will be interesting to see. One thing I noticed in my search of those companies response to the ITC concerning this case was that I did not find any Jeep dealers writing in. There were no Jeep dealers claiming lost sales or confusion by customers over the Roxor. There were a couple of Roxor dealers concerned about their ability to service their existing companies if Mahindra must discontinue the Roxor. That little tidbit i thought was rather interesting. Fiat claims it’s confusing the marketplace but there was no evidence of this by their dealer network.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve been thinking this whole thing is nonsense, and I still mostly believe that but...there is one point that stands true. This vehicle does cut into Jeep sales here in the US. I have only driven Jeeps since I turned 16 and I still have a Grand Cherokee but when I went to replace one of our vehicles with a Gladiator, I couldn’t stomach the price and finally pulled the trigger on the Roxor. They might occupy totally different spaces and ignoring the street legality because we all know how to get around that, my Roxor gave me what Jeep couldn’t and it took their Gladiator sale. I will continue to buy Jeeps but unlikely from the wrangler family. I have my awesome old school Jeep now. All this being said, fight on Roxor, let capitalism work things out!

Tokarev

I went to replace one of our vehicles with a Gladiator, I couldn’t stomach the price...

I read somewhere that Gladiator sales have been lower than expected. Price is too high when compared to established pickups like the Tacoma.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I read somewhere that Gladiator sales have been lower than expected. Price is too high when compared to established pickups like the Tacoma.

Apples to apples they’re the same price but the Gladiators only come in full quad cab with 4x4. The Tacoma at that configuration costs the same. The problem is that most people don’t buy mid size trucks in that configuration so the sales on the Gladiator appear to be lagging. I love the truck and still want one but I just won’t pay that much for any mid size truck. We’re talking north of 50k for what I want.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The JT was doomed from the start. All the hype around it was generated by more useful and sporty 2DR type prototypes, then FCA releases this garbage.

The price is simply a bad joke.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
FCA “lost” a Gladiator sale by it not being worthy of purchase for me.

Similar can be said for the JL, only that simply isn’t worth the money.

I have an old Dodge pickup that is more useful than a JT. So “lost” sale in that the JT didn’t motivate a sale over a 200k mile Dodge.

For me, the Roxor beat out restoring a early CJ5 with diesel swap (as a DD mind you). So not directly resulting in much of any real FCA impact.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
FCA “lost” a Gladiator sale by it not being worthy of purchase for me.

Similar can be said for the JL, only that simply isn’t worth the money.

I have an old Dodge pickup that is more useful than a JT. So “lost” sale in that the JT didn’t motivate a sale over a 200k mile Dodge.

For me, the Roxor beat out restoring a early CJ5 with diesel swap (as a DD mind you). So not directly resulting in much of any real FCA impact.
LOL. We’re not here to debate the viability of a Jeep product. As much as Jeep haters love to criticize all things Jeep, we all know they’re super fun and not about practicality. At least they made a truck that was different from every other mid sized one out there. Let’s be happy someone is doing something different. If Jeep still made the CJ, they wouldn’t be a company. Very few people want a bare bones rough riding vehicle. Just the way it is. They adapted and are doing quite well. We should all support unique vehicles instead of calling them garage. I even see criticisms to the Roxor on this site (like the new grill). Let’s be happy someone is building something we all love and stop tearing down other cool unique machines.

Tokarev