ooooooooooo

engine clatter at high rpm?

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well I disconnected my speed sensor and it is still making the rattle. Thought I would try it anyway.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well I disconnected my speed sensor and it is still making the rattle. Thought I would try it anyway.

I was really trying to reach to think that speed sensor would be the culprit.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It was reassuring to see a very sturdy valvetrain in these rigs. I thought about removing the alternator belt to isolate that possibility, but I don't think that's affecting anything.

Conclusion? Why do these engines emit peculiar noises? Perhaps for the same reason salmon return to the same stream they were born, to spawn, because that's what they do.

Last edited:

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I was really trying to reach to think that speed sensor would be the culprit.
Me too, but I figured it was an easy enough test. I am still pretty certain that it is in the valves myself, I am not looking for trouble just have an ear for when something sounds out of sync. Time to invest in a stereo

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have no doubt that its the valves.

I can't say I'm quite convinced of that? While there is a little noise in the valvetrain (like most of this design) it's not the infamous "clatter".

I would note that while barring the engine over by hand via the harmonic balancer bolt, I did detect what I would equate to (as a clicking sound) from within the engine every so often?

The noise sounded very simular to the clicking noise from an old IH Farmall magneto? Are there balance shafts within this engine?

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have no doubt that its the valves.

Upon further review, I just went in my cold garage still dawning sleepwear and barred the engine over cold. There definitely is a clicking noise that appears to be coming from the valvetrain area? The (click) appears to happen right after a piston comes off TDC compression stroke.

DesertRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
To me this sounds like slightly stiffer valve springs would fix the issue. It would be interesting if one of the aftermarket guys did some testing for upgraded head and parts.

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On a roxor face book group. One guy removed the in tank bypass on the fuel pump. Claims no more clatter. Interesting .

Jefdry79

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well this has been about the best dick measuring contest thread yet. I’ll bet my Dad can beat your Dad up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well this has been about the best dick measuring contest thread yet. I’ll bet my Dad can beat your Dad up for sure.

And if this were a (incoherent measuring contest) the prize would be all yours.

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
as 24 year certified mechanic. my job. this makes sense. lift pump is a little lean. on a compression ignition engine. i don't care wont hurt it. just chiming in in one of the many theories. nice reply. besides. your mama was a snow blower.

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
my biggest concern is the low sulpher diesial has creaked havick on around a dozen of my rigs. hows this set up going to do?

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wonder if the Thar has this clatter/rattle. Hard to tell with music playing over the videos I have watched

Semperfi

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Rattle or not, I will take one of those too! Keep on a rollin and a clattering.

Harvey Cannon

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My cat purrs when she is happy. That is what is happening with this motor, so look at it as a happy sound and get to driving it. Every diesel I have owned has a rattle in it. My Roxor has nearly 11k miles on it and it sounds just like it did the first time.

Semperfi

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You ONLY WIN if you put that in your ROXOR!!!! Then and only then will you be the ROXOR GOD! I get excited just imagining that. Keep on a rollin and a clattering.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The 600hp Detroit in my daily driver clatters too. Do I win? :)

a28d1e69438a586cccf9265ff1822b54.jpg

I’ll let you have first. Mines not a daily and it’s only 475 but it’s a Cummins. I claim a strong second.