ooooooooooo

Dumb Question??

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve got about 500 miles on the Roxor and there is one thing I’m not sure about. The motor runs a very quiet tone off road but when I hit the highway, the tone changes. It goes from a nice mechanical purr to a rumble monster. I have no idea why. Is it the turbo boost coming on? Is this clatter normal under certain loads? Seems to start in 3rd gear and above and at times, will get back to a normal purr (or not.) Normal??

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would start by checking the RPMs. See if they are consistent. After that, Are you in 2WD or 4WD? Im curious to know the answer myself!:cool:

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Happens in 2WD on highway and low/high RPM doesn’t seem to change it.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It could just be the tires, believe it or not the tires will do that.

BSI

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My tuned machine has a significant diesel clatter that starts at 39-40 mph and as I slow down stops at 39-40mph. It doesn't make a difference if I'm in 3rd, 4th of 5th, it starts at/ or stops at 40mph, Any speed over 40mph, significant diesel clatter.

Did a little experiment, removed the speed sensor at the drive shaft, problem solved!! no noise above 40mph.
Does anyone have any experience with this, and know what is causing the clatter?

Drives real nice and quiet without the speed sensor hooked up, but it would bet nice to have the speedometer. Lol

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A guy I work with that has a brother that has owned and modified several turbo diesel trucks, told me he asked his brother about the loud clatter noise above certain rpms, and he said it's most likely the wastegate. I've never met his brother, so obviously he hasn't heard the louder clatter himself and doesn't know much about Roxors, he's going by the description I gave my coworker, so take it for what it's worth. It sounds plausible though.

BSI

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That sounds plausible for sure, but that's not what this is doing.
The noise/clatter I'm having starts at 40mph and above, and is not related to rpm. When I remove the speed sensor,
the noise doesn't occur?

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That sounds plausible for sure, but that's not what this is doing.
The noise/clatter I'm having starts at 40mph and above, and is not related to rpm. When I remove the speed sensor,
the noise doesn't occur?
That is weird...I have no idea what that's about, definitely sounds like it's an electrical problem, at least in your case. I wasn't necessarily replying to you, I just heard that from my coworker yesterday and thought I'd share it for what it's worth. Mine is bone stock, BTW.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine does it and so do other I have talked to. Normal as far as I can tell on the Roxor. Nothing to worry about. Drive it.
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to...I would think it's normal and won't hurt anything. Diesels just make weird noises once in awhile...at least most of the ones I've been around have. I remember running many different backhoes all day, day after day over the years, sometimes abusing the hell out them (at least back when I was a teenager...maybe into my 20s lol), and it seems like most of them would make odd noises at times and at different rpms and work loads.

BSI

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What puzzles me is, why does it go away when the speed sensor is disconnected?
The noise doesn't occur when it's not hooked up, but then I don't have speedo

Last edited:

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I did not know what I was hearing. I secured my 4 shackle brackets so I could eliminate that if/any rattle noise. It does it sometime and other times does not. However it seems that after it gets to full temp it goes away. I would describe it as the rattle you hear in a vehicle with a manual transmission that doesn’t have enough RPMs to support the higher gear range.

I’m taking Bister’s advise.........drive it. By the way I am stock too.

MAGAHAWK

If you are not used to diesel engines the noises can freak you out. different noises at different rpm are pretty normal. Mine runs quietest / smoothest
right around 2k rpm in 4th gear on level ground. Totally different experience than a gas engine. Also wind noise can re - direct sounds and echo at different road speeds.(sound will change when another vehicle is next to you at road speed) sounds bounce off objects and are more noticeable, especially like a fence or brick wall. Diesels always rattle - especially industrial type engines like you find on Mahindra. They will make the most noise at max rpm - (time to shift) Nothing wrong, just the way they are.
Best solution: drive and enjoy :cool:

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Agreed on all your points. Just like Kawasaki used to say: let the good times roll.

BSI

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You have the clatter noise over 40mph,
If you disconnect the speed sensor at the drive shaft, does the noise stop?

T-mac22

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to...I would think it's normal and won't hurt anything. Diesels just make weird noises once in awhile...at least most of the ones I've been around have. I remember running many different backhoes all day, day after day over the years, sometimes abusing the hell out them (at least back when I was a teenager...maybe into my 20s lol), and it seems like most of them would make odd noises at times and at different rpms and work loads.[/QUOT
You have the clatter noise over 40mph,
If you disconnect the speed sensor at the drive shaft, does the noise stop?
has anyone had there intake hose blow off

T-mac22

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
HELP PLEASE!! My intake hose blew off at the intake manifold and will not stay on! I drove my vehicle about 100 miles no problem now it blows off every time I drive it. I have it tuned, air intake and 2.5” exhaust also have a upgraded boost hose!