ooooooooooo

Do Spacers help or hurt with turn radius?

pdh

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Considering wheel spacers for other reasons, and trying to figure out whether they will help or hurt with turning radius adjustment on the wheel stops.

Any real world experience out there?

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Speaking strictly from an engineering stand point, wheel spacers would be neutral to turning radius, but the downside to wheel spacers is the increase in bending moment applied to the spindle and bearings. Installing spacers may allow you to reduce length of wheel stops, thus permitting a tighter turning radius without tires interfering with body, frame or bumper, allowing you to reduce the turning radius. The downside is the tighter you turn the more you stress the axle u-joints. A lot of axle and drive shaft u-joints have been broken by getting them bound up under load in a tight turn and applying too much throttle. If you want to use wheel spacers to allow wider/taller tires go ahead, but I would not reduce my wheel stops.

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Another thing to watch for if you adjust the wheel stops is contact between the caliper and your shocks

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I added 1or 1.5 inch spacers to get the right stance, not sure which ones i have. Without going to wider tires. I went taller. I did install an aftermarket bumper that needed trimed when I added the spacer. If you add them maker sure u torque the lugs down and add locktight. I didn't want to get crazy with super thick spacer for the added stress