ooooooooooo

Cold Weather Starting?

TX Rancher

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Any suggestions for starting the Roxor in cold weather? We are experiencing extreme cold (for Texas) After waiting for the air induction heater to cycle off I can get it to turn over but it will not start.

Thanks

B

Bister

Try cycling the grid heater twice. Might help. A battery maintainer will help. Roxor had a cold start bulletin I saw sometime ago that suggested 2 oil pan heaters, one on each side (125watt if I remember), a battery maintainer and a 60 watt battery heater.

9.1csace-120v | eBay

Wolverine Battery Heater Battery Warmer 60 Watt 110 Volt BH-60CSACE-120V CSA | eBay

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.24.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.27.38 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TX Rancher

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Try cycling the grid heater twice. Might help. A battery maintainer will help. Roxor had a cold start bulletin I saw sometime ago that suggested 2 oil pan heaters, one on each side (125watt if I remember), a battery maintainer and a 60 watt battery heater.

9.1csace-120v | eBay

Wolverine Battery Heater Battery Warmer 60 Watt 110 Volt BH-60CSACE-120V CSA | eBay

View attachment 8648

View attachment 8649
Thanks< I did cycle the heater a couple of times. Will look into the oil pan heaters for future use.

B

Bister

Thanks< I did cycle the heater a couple of times. Will look into the oil pan heaters for future use.
The pan heaters should help. A good maintainer is never a bad thing. I have a few of them on things or move them around every couple months on things that are sitting lots or parked for the winter. I keep one on my pick up cause I hardly use it and when I do its usually dead. It will sit for a month or more sometimes. If you have a maintainer on it, that will do more than a battery warmer I think.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Did you treat the fuel with antigel? Mine started this morning at 15. I treated fuel before it got cold. The fuel here isn’t blended or made for these cold temps. If it’s gelled your not gonna get it started till the temps rise.

B

Bister

Did you treat the fuel with antigel? Mine started this morning at 15. I treated fuel before it got cold. The fuel here isn’t blended or made for these cold temps. If it’s gelled your not gonna get it started till the temps rise.
I never thought of that. That's probably part of his problem, if not the problem, if these things crank and fuel is good, they usually go. I never have to worry about that here in Saskatchewan, all of our fuel is switched over in October sometime so we don't really worry about it gelling unless you have fuel left from summer in a tank or something.

Djrmt406

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I had straight 2 from the summer. I put Howes fuel treatment in it before it got cold. The oil leaked out a bit around the filter until it warmed up, other than that it started and ran fine.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
#2 clouds (parafin falling out) at 14F. That happens in the tank, pump, fuel line, filter, water separator, injectors. Diesel Kleen, Howes, etc. is inexpensive: a 32 oz bottle will probably treat a 55 gal drum.

You may also have an ice issue.
In hotter, humid climates, you have more moisture in the air. As the tank breathes, moisture builds up inside. In cold temps, the water will condensate and freeze long before #2 diesel will gel. Diesels have a water separator for that reason.
You could have some ice in the pump or the line. There is another additive that will not just keep diesel from gelling, it will also remove water from diesel in an emergency situation. It is not Heet you would add to gasoline (isopropyl alcohol), but specific for diesel engines. Google will find it for you.
I had to use it once in my diesel truck when temps were -36F at night and -20F during the day some years back. My truck had a (plug-in) heater that was supposed to keep the entire fuel aystem warm enough. Somehow something in the fuel system got too cold anyway.

Over winter, the tank of a stored vehicle will rust (diesel, gasoline doesn't matter) if not filled to the very top.

I have a diesel tractor, and excavator (in Idaho, snow country). I use them in summer. By default, they always have #2 diesel in them. Every fall when I put them away, I add an additive (whatever Howes, Cenex, Diesel Kleen is on sale) to the tank and run the engine to make sure treated fuel is everywhere in the system. Then I fill the tanks to the point where the lid (on the equipment the lid is on the top of the tank, not the side) dips into the fuel when closed. One winter I forgot to fill the tank all the way to the top and left a couple inches of air. In spring, there was an icicle on the inside of the fuel cap... it was rust though.

Push your machine in the garage, if you have one. After some hours, when you get it to start, pour Diesel Kleen, Howes, etc. in the tank and go for a drive / let it idle outside.

TX Rancher

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
No, I did not treat the fuel, great point and I am sure that is what the issue is, 7 degrees her this morning.

Bob R

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I had a diesel Dodge 3/4 Ton pickup here in Southern Missouri for several years. When it started to get cold I treated the fuel at every fill up, and plugged in the block heater.
I Let it jell up once when I first got it. Turned cold unexpectedly. That one mistake cost me way more $$ than all the fuel additive I put in it the rest of the time I owned it.
Treated Fuel and a Block Heater will help to keep it running in the winter.

Bob R

2dutz2

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A52AAAAAVJA001435 1435
fFuel treatment if your fuel is not wintr fuel. Battery tender so the starter spins fast, that with a the working heater on board it should fire right up. I use NO pan or block heaters-and it is a steady -20/10 here in w. Colorado.

Tom W

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any suggestions for starting the Roxor in cold weather? We are experiencing extreme cold (for Texas) After waiting for the air induction heater to cycle off I can get it to turn over but it will not start.

Thanks
I use Howes in the winter here in Kansas because of wild temperature swings we get in the winter. I use it in my Chevy Duramax also. I used to drive back and forth to North Dakota once a month and worried about the fuel blend when I headed north. Any good quality fuel conditioner will help especially if you live in an area where temperatures can rise and fall quickly, you’ll be prepared for cold weather, and if it stays warm it won’t do any harm. I always Cary a jump pack also, ya never know when a weak battery will bite you in the tail!