ooooooooooo

Block heater?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I did a search for Block Heater and nothing came up. I am moving to Alaska in March, and this engine is most definitely going to need a block heater. I haven't found anything from Mahindra at all. Has anyone installed one into a freeze plug? I'm not a fan of the heaters that are inline of the lower radiator hose.

B

Bister

No way!? That's crazy
There is a (I believe 5/8th) plug just above the starter, into the water jacket, not sure what you can do with that. You could get creative and bore it out to fit a 3/4" water heater. They are available.

FYI: I'm just thinking out loud. Not sure it is a good idea or if it would work even.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
There is a (I believe 5/8th) plug just above the starter, into the water jacket, not sure what you can do with that. You could get creative and bore it out to fit a 3/4" water heater. They are available.

FYI: I'm just thinking out loud. Not sure it is a good idea or if it would work even.
I'll take a gander at the pipe plug and see what I can come up with. I may end up getting a 1000w Percolator style Kim Hotstart block heater and use the EGR ports.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll take a gander at the pipe plug and see what I can come up with. I may end up getting a 1000w Percolator style Kim Hotstart block heater and use the EGR ports.
I think I'm going to go with the magnetic heater. 300-400 degrees seems not only excessive but also total bullshit. How I can find some reviews but I'd love to be able to switch it over to whatever engine I intend to start on a given day.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
.. Just posted this on Sand Plugs thread....

I have been using a Wolverine heater patch on my tractor for years. My tractor is a 4.0 L air cooled diesel. The patch was the only option and it has done great.
You need to sand the area where the patch goes to bare metal. Once you stick it to bare metal, the heater will not come off. I put the one on my tractor over 10 years ago.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
.. Just posted this on Sand Plugs thread....

I have been using a Wolverine heater patch on my tractor for years. My tractor is a 4.0 L air cooled diesel. The patch was the only option and it has done great.
You need to sand the area where the patch goes to bare metal. Once you stick it to bare metal, the heater will not come off. I put the one on my tractor over 10 years ago.
Thanks for the review. Kats heaters are sold out.

Driftless

Lifetime Member
I bought a 2019 Roxor last Spring - picked it up in Arkansas and it is now in an unheated garage in northern Wisconsin. Any further update or reviews on block heater options?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It's been sitting since October anyhow. Too busy with work. I've overhauled 2 CAT 3512's and a 3412 since October. Got home today after 3 weeks gone. Back to Kodiak on the 4th, then another 3412 overhaul before I fly to Tulsa to get my new truck, pull my 57 Chevy back to Alaska, then another 4 overhauls on a navy vessel in February. So the block heater is the least of my worries right now unfortunately.

2dutz2

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A52AAAAAVJA001435 1435
Best solution is a oil pan heater, that glues on or straps on the oil pan,110 volt ,3-500 watts. Dip stick etc. are junk. Mine starts easy to 0 degrees. Also a salamander stuck under the front will heat it up quickly.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Driftless: a year ago in this thread, I mentioned the Wolverine heater. This is one of the stick on heaters (2dutz2 mentioned). These stick-on pads are nice because they spread the heat evenly across the size of the pad and heat the oil pan, which then heats the oil.
Wolverine is one brand (I use on my tractor and excavator) but here are others.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@Driftless: a year ago in this thread, I mentioned the Wolverine heater. This is one of the stick on heaters (2dutz2 mentioned). These stick-on pads are nice because they spread the heat evenly across the size of the pad and heat the oil pan, which then heats the oil.
Wolverine is one brand (I use on my tractor and excavator) but here are others.
I've done that to my Pickup, also got one for my battery. I also run Amsoil which helps in the cold but that Wolverine patch that goes under the oil pan keeps motor warm really good. My Roxor gets to stay in a heated garage! Finally got a vehicle to fit to kick out the wife's SUV

Djrmt406

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any heat you get is better than nothing but I’ve started mine -20F with no issues.