ooooooooooo

Inlet Air Heater Function

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am inquiring to all of ya'll as to any issues you may have with cold start of your Roxor.

The Roxor uses and air inlet heater which will cycle at pre-start and during initial warm-up based on engine temp. You'll notice the heater indicator come on along with all other indicators during lamp test at ignition energize. In colder ambients the heater will typically stay on along with indication and may cycle a few times to allow a smooth warm up and reduction in white smoke of cold cylinder temps.

Since day one my unit has had a little skip/stumble every now and then at cold start but now that we have lower ambients it's definitely sputtering and coughing with white exhaust smoke for the first few seconds of running and I have no cycle indication of the heater other than the short light test function. I've tested the heater and get no power to the element but have not traced it back to the ECM. I run Mahindra equipment on my farm and have had this problem with a tractor engine which was corrected by a software update.

So with all this rambling, is anyone having any of these cold start symptoms now that we're getting cooler?

Please advise, thx!

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wanted to close this thread with the correction to my cold start issue in case someone has similar symptoms.

The two pin plug feeding the coil side of the Air Inlet Heater Relay was loose, found it plugged in with the lock tab snapped but not making contact. Removed it, rung out the circuits and mashed it in tight, starts great, no sputtering or smoke. The relay is located on the firewall just to the right of the battery.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for the information. Have not had a problem, but have noticed that the heater light was not coming on, even on very cold mornings. I'll check the connection out.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the information. Have not had a problem, but have noticed that the heater light was not coming on, even on very cold mornings. I'll check the connection out.

Thx for reply. I notice since finding the loose connection mine will cycle in the ambient 30’s, but not in the >50F range. Haven’t had enough cold to get a real feel for the ambient range it’ll operate but in the 30’s we’ve had it works and starts great.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was impressed with how mine starts in cold. The heater icon does come on. It comes on again if you cycle the key too.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've had this very issue in about 20 degree weather here in Arizona mountains, after about 20 seconds the sputtering and white smoke clears up, I'll check that connection.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've had this very issue in about 20 degree weather here in Arizona mountains, after about 20 seconds the sputtering and white smoke clears up, I'll check that connection.

Now when my heater cycles the engine starts super smooth.

Check the connection and test, wait with the ignition switch on until the lamp test is complete and if it's working you'll hear the relay cycle and see the indicator begin the flicker, when the indicator goes out it will start, that's if the system is working. Good luck.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Now when my heater cycles the engine starts super smooth.

Check the connection and test, wait with the ignition switch on until the lamp test is complete and if it's working you'll hear the relay cycle and see the indicator begin the flicker, when the indicator goes out it will start, that's if the system is working. Good luck.
Just to clarify, I do see the indicator come on and I can hear the relay, I wait until it's out and then start it up. It starts fine, but in sub freezing temps it sputters regardless and there's a bit of smoke for about 20 seconds until it clears up. To add some context, I also have the vivid tune and may have misplaced the egr system somewhere.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just to clarify, I do see the indicator come on and I can hear the relay, I wait until it's out and then start it up. It starts fine, but in sub freezing temps it sputters regardless and there's a bit of smoke for about 20 seconds until it clears up. To add some context, I also have the vivid tune and may have misplaced the egr system somewhere.

That's correct when real cold I would expect it to sputter at start even after the heat cycle. It's cold cylinder temps and raw fuel your seeing but should clear in a few seconds, it's the nature of compression ignition. Without the heater mine would act the same way in the 50'-60'F ranges.

Steelco

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yeah I've got the same problem with my roxor. It's getting colder and the grid heater light doesn't ever come on. It was 38 degrees this morning and no light came on. Thanks for the info I'll check all the connections.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My heaters never come on until around 32-33 degrees F. Never had a problem starting when cold.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm planning on putting a block heater on. I have these on my Bobcat and larger tractors and it really helps alot with cold start. Also just a reminder, its a good idea to put anti-gel in the fuel for cold weather (or do the old farmers trick of adding a bit of kerosene to the fuel to help with gelling on cold weather.

B

Bister

I'm planning on putting a block heater on. I have these on my Bobcat and larger tractors and it really helps alot with cold start. Also just a reminder, its a good idea to put anti-gel in the fuel for cold weather (or do the old farmers trick of adding a bit of kerosene to the fuel to help with gelling on cold weather.
Glad I don't have to worry about anti-gel, all our fuel is switched over to Number 1 in our area about this time of year.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I did a 25 degree start outside at the pub, no problem. Works as intended.

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Glad I don't have to worry about anti-gel, all our fuel is switched over to Number 1 in our area about this time of year.
What temp are you at? I ran number 2 all last winter but I only get down to 0 F occasionally.

B

Bister

What temp are you at? I ran number 2 all last winter but I only get down to 0 F occasionally.
Right now we are a bit below normal, hanging around freezing, but you can't even buy number 2 anywhere, it's all switched over mid to late October till spring, unless you have some left in your bulk tank if you're using one, you'll be getting number 1 at the pump. We get down to -40F on the coldest but usually around 0 to -25ºF for winter normals.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We're similar boat. I think we're all switched over and have been for a while. We'll hit -25 without it being weird. -35 is weird but we had it 2 years ago.

Very north central WI

WY_ROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m a little confused by which pin connection I should be checking? Could someone point me in the right direction. Just got a brand new 2022. Live in WY and haven’t seen the light stay in yet. It’s been pretty chilly in the mornings, and this morning it started rough an idled rough for a few mins.