ooooooooooo

All roxors leak boost!

WillysJeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey Roxie19. I don’t think you need the block off plates if you get the intake pipe from Diesel Freak.

WillysJeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
One other thing to consider. When you take all the stock stuff out you need to get two “caps” to block off the flow of coolant. The reason I know this is I have the exact same parts on order. I asked Jenny the parts person at DF to add them to my order. I think they are $30 which is a lot but at least you won’t have to go hunting for them. Also Wade recommended to drain some coolant, not all but some, because when you take the hoses off it will spill all over.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well my Diesel Freak air connection kit finally arrived this week so this morning I tore into the removal of the old along with doing the EGR delete along the same line Roxasuras did in the video in this string. Much to my surprise when I was finally able to start rebuilding it, the new air intake will not go over the tube in the air intake. Has anyone else who purchased this kit run into similar problems? No matter how I spin it, there just is no way it will slide down in place. I am looking for a solution I can use today if there is one, as I was scheduled for the next group ride Sunday but I am feeling that I now won’t be able to attend. If sending it back to DF is the solution, I guess it will have to wait until a Monday when they reopen from the Holiday weekend. Thanks for any advice and tips you can offer.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Which tube are you talking about? Are you referring to the intake manifold itself, or the pipe?

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes, it’s the intake manifold. For lack of better words there is a tube rising up from it that the intake that DF sells sits down on with two O rings inside of it. It sits where the factory rubber piece sits that tends to warp, pucker, become out of round and leak boost when under pressure. It appears the quality of the tube in sizing is not always consistent for the DF one size will fit all intake. Wade emailed me and said to try sanding the intake tube down enough to slip it down, but it appears to me there is just too much aluminum material (diameter) to be sanded down. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Have you measured the OD of the intake manifold and the ID of the new piece?

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sanded for quite some time and didn’t make a dent in getting this intake connection piece on. So I brought out the Dremel tool. Went through two aluminum oxide grinding stones and finally trimmed enough material off to slide it on, with the help of a rubber mallet. Not exactly the easy install others have reported, but it’s on and there is a noticeable increase in power. No doubt the factory setup does leak and this piece from DF does a nice job correcting the problem.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sanded for quite some time and didn’t make a dent in getting this intake connection piece on. So I brought out the Dremel tool. Went through two aluminum oxide grinding stones and finally trimmed enough material off to slide it on, with the help of a rubber mallet. Not exactly the easy install others have reported, but it’s on and there is a noticeable increase in power. No doubt the factory setup does leak and this piece from DF does a nice job correcting the problem.

Did you lube the o rings? I used a thin coating of lithium grease and mine slid right on for a nice and tight fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That would have been nice if it worked out that way. The tube diameter was so large I couldn’t even get to the o rings without shaving a lot of metal away. Just to far out of spec. Guess I was just spoiled from the other change this weekend. Cecco front bumper that bolted right up no problems. Wish Mahindra had his quality control.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Last week, I installed the Diesel Freak intake kit on both my Roxors.
I could not tell if there was any air leak before. I tried the soapy water test at idle, but that is hardly when it would leake anyway.

I noticed that the 4 bolts holding together the factory intake stack (steel top inlet, aluminum intake heater, steel bottom and rubber boot / seal) was pretty lose on the 2018. On the 2019, they were tighter.

The stock gaskets came right off on the 2019 (where the bolts were tight). I used the DF gaskets at reassembly.
On the 2018, the gaskets were stuck to the top and bottom of the heater. I reused to stock gaskets that were in great shape rather then removing them.

On reassembly, the DF kit bottom (double o-ring part) slipped right on the 2019. On the 2018, I needed a wood block (to not mark that aluminum) and mallet. I lubed each the same way.
Some folks here say that us is a quality control issue. Quality control is against a spec limit. Just because the Roxor doesn't accept after market parts doesn't mean there is a measurement out of spec. Roxor's spec is defined for fitting a pretty lose rubber boot of some sorts.
After fitting the DF kit bottom on both the 2018 and the 2019, one was easy to spin while the other was still very tight.

The top part of the DF kit is made from aluminum and is about 1/16 thicker than the stock equivalent made from steel. I could not fit the hold down with the added height. It was about 125F in my garage and I dis not want to mess with modifying the bracket.
I called DF and was told the hold down bracket was not needed any longer with the DF kit. I am not sure if I want to go quite that far. Comments anyone? Hold down bracket yes / no?

The DF kit elbow trimming did not go well for me. I trimmed and trimmed. By the time I was done, the elbow was at such an angle that I could not use it any longer. Again, I will blame that on working in my garage in about 125F for over two hours.

The silicone elbow and the 1/16 taller assembly (which would have meant to not use the hold down bracket) led me to this solution: reuse the factory steel top part and factory elbow.
The stack is now: dual o-ring bottom from DF kit, intake heater, factory steel top part with 2 inch opening, factory 2 inch elbow. Hold down bracket reinstalled.

I will wait until maybe October for the temperatures to drop below 100F before I give the DF kit silicone elbow and top aluminum piece another go. The mix and match stack I describe above works just fine for now.

As for the results? Hard to tell if it fixed anything.
I do believe that on the 2019 (that's the one where the DF kit dropped right on) it may have had a leak at the rubber boot. Maybe. There may have been a slight hiss when I shifted gears. May have also been my ears.
It feels like there is a bit more torque at low RPM. I like to coast along city traffic at around 45 mph / 1300 ish RPM in 5th. At that RPM, the Roxor feels a bit better now.
On the 2018, where the 4 bolts were not torqued much, there may have been some blow by between the gaskets. The rubber boot itselve had no indication (e.g. soot) of blow by. The 2018 sounds and drives the same as before.
Real test would be a before and after on a dyno.
Anyway, check the bolts on the intake.

One more thing done on the machines. Having done the work and tinkering with the DF kit makes me feel better. Hoping this helps.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anyone who has installed the DF intake kit (just the stack, not replacement of the "yellow" tube): thoughts on keeping the factory hold down bracket?

The lady at DF I spoke to said the factory hold down bracket is no longer needed with the dual o-ring piece.

I decided to keep it after installing the DF kit (...some of the kit... the mix and match stack in my earlier post).

What did you guys do?

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone who has installed the DF intake kit (just the stack, not replacement of the "yellow" tube): thoughts on keeping the factory hold down bracket?

The lady at DF I spoke to said the factory hold down bracket is no longer needed with the dual o-ring piece.

I decided to keep it after installing the DF kit (...some of the kit... the mix and match stack in my earlier post).

What did you guys do?
Realize this doesn't directly answer your question, but since I'd bought and installed the after market OTR hold down brackets for my 2018s early on, the cost was sunk and, though hardly necessary and redundant, there seemed to be no harm in leaving them in place after the much improved DF kits became available and installed. On one 2018, the OEM gaskets were not salvaged. The other one's gaskets were perfectly reusable. Both the DF kits fit snuggly without alteration. The yellow tubes remain until I can afford to get rid of them.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had to modify my factory hold down bracket slightly.

I also can say that the hold down is necessary. At some point my hold down came loose the entire stack blew off the manifold once pressurized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
589ea7a7fa0f0b2ac7fbc00fa0dfc2c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk