ooooooooooo

Adding electronic devices to Rox

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So how do u go about adding things, is there a fuse box to add things or do you have to wire them in somewhere else? I bought a fuse block for adding, is it nessasary? Planning on wiring in my CJ wiper motor, led lights and a CB radio and extra USB charge Porta.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@CJ2Rox: yes, use a fuse block and possibly some relays.

I used a Blue Sea Systems 12 slot fuse block. It has a cover, which I really like to protect the screw terminals and fuses. I mounted the fuse block in the passenger food compartment.

It is also a split bus that allows halve of the block to be wired directly to the battery and the other half to a relay (control of the relay would come from the 12V plug). So, half the fuse block is always hot (e.g. a radio, charge ports, or dome light). The other half is hot when ignition is on (e.g. for wipers)

Wire the accessories you want to install on relays after the fuse block. You can buy harnesses with wired in relays on your favorite online store.

On my Roxor, I wired in
- one dome light
- bumper LEDs
- side lights
- rear lights on the back of the top I built
- rear lights on the bumper
- the blinkers (from parts I sourced)
Still have six open fuses I can use.

Zip tie all wiring and use a black Tesa (that's the brand) fabric tape to wrap the wiring for a clean install.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What Guage wire to use to power the new fuse block. I played with it today the fuse blocks that come with it to me seem complicated. I'm going to jump off the 12v for the wipers then I'll add the fuse block for everything else. Those switch covers knockouts aren't easy to get out when u have no idea how they release. So what Gauge wire from the battery to block?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I read the horror stories of folks pulling these blanks and scratching the coating on the dash. There is a suoer easy way to get them out.

To release the switch blanks do this:
1. Make sure there are no wires connected to the blank you want to knock out and there are no wires near it.
2. Take a 1/2 drill bit (or larger) and drill a hole in the center of the blank. Then drill up at a steep as possible angle. Do the same down. The idea is to destroy the tabs at the top and bottom of the blank that lock them in place. When you hit the tabs, you can easily remove the blanks.

Tip: I used two if the blanks to mount round LEDs for blinker indicators (so I know if I left a blinker on when driving).

For wire gauges, check what current your accessories draw. For instance, 50W LED spot light. Divide by 12V (tje lowest voltage a weak battery delivers). 50W /12V = 4.2 Amperes.
Google whatever current and "wire gauge". For instance 12 gauge is good for 20 A, 14 gauge 15 A and so on.

If you buy some prewired relays, the usually come with undersized wires. So, buy the next size up. Its only a few bucks more.

Add a fuse to your wiper. Better to burn a fuse than the motor.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I missed an answer... the fuse block wire.

Just add all the wattages from your accessories and divide by 12 to get the amps. Say it's 300W / 12 = 25A. Lookup the wire gauge for 25 amps.
Doing this, you will oversize the wire (that's good) because not ikely all accessories are on at the same time. And if they are, maybe just for a short time.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Glad I'm not the only one that struggled with the blanks. I like the drill bit idea. So the two pre-wired behind the blanks for led lights where are they at to hook to?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@CJ2Rox:
"... prewired behind the blanks...."
Do you mean to which fuse or relay in the Roxor's factory fuse box they go?

It's coming up on 2 years that I wired up my Roxor amd I don't remeber. Sorry.
I think my Roxor had only one blank with wires attached to the back (same as in above video).

Check the color coding and then look it up in the electrical portion if the repair manual.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I pushed the ones I needed out from the backside, don’t remember an issue, just squeeze the tabs while working it out.