ooooooooooo

2023 HD OBD port location

wvdskin

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
After an exhaustive search behind the dash looking for the OBD port, I finally located it in the engine bay next to the ECM.
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That looks right. The issue is it's not compatible with regular OBDii readers.
Wade at DieselFreak sells the correct adapter for $15-20. Really good guy, great communication and awesome aftermarket Roxor store. I will caution you, once you see all DieselFreak has on their site, you'll probably end up with more Roxor goodies. Not a bad thing, just putting it out there.

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, I got my adapter from DieselFreak also..... Hope I never need it...

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I too have the DF adapter from Wade, but I am unable to get anything to communicate. It is like the 2.7L ECM is using a different communication protocol than my scan gauge 3 or other automotive OBDII scanners use. Do I need a scanner like what is used with 18 wheelers or heavy equipment? Any advice would be appreciated.

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am watching this thread for future use.

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
To be honest, I have the 2022 2.5l. I have the DF OBDii adapter and use the SCAN II. Once I setup the menu for the 2.5l diesel, it reads accurately.
I'm not sure if it's the 2.7 or the SCAN III. I hope things work out.
We buy these to experiment and learn. And most importantly, Have Fun!!!

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I ordered my adapter. We will see what works if anything.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hoping to speak to Wade this week. If anyone will know what it takes to communicate with the 2.7L ECM, Wade will know. Wade plays with a lot of 18 wheeler tractors, so he would likely know if it uses an HD OBDII protocol instead of a standard automotive OBDII protocol. If it does use an HD OBDII protocol, then that will explain why the ScanGauge 3 or 2 will not work, however a ScanGauge D would likely work, but you would need yet another adapter to take it to a 6-pin or 9-pin round HD adaptor.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wade returned my call today. He has not tried it, but agrees that the ScanGauge D would likely work with the appropriate adapter. He said that when he gets time and can build an adaptor he will test the 2.7L ECM to see if his HD OBDII scanners will communicate with it. If successful, then the ScanGauge D should work with appropriate adapter. I don't believe that there is any chance of getting a ScanGauge 2 or 3 to ever work with the 2.7L ECM as I think it is a different communication protocol. The ScanGauge folks were not helpful and not interested in updating the communication protocols in the ScanGauge 2 or 3 to work. They suggested I just buy a ScanGauge D. I bought an HD OBDII bi-directional scanner for use on my Compact Track Loader. The next time I am at my ranch, I will test it and let everyone know the results. Don't go out and buy any ScanGauges for the 2.7L ECM yet.

JMB3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
After an exhaustive search behind the dash looking for the OBD port, I finally located it in the engine bay next to the ECM.
Can you please take a photo side-on so that it can be seen whether the HD harness carries with it the same pinout mistakes that the 2018-2022 harnesses had? Mahindra Roxor OBD2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am not at my ranch, so I cannot get you a photo right away, but there are now enough 2023 HDUV owners on this forum that someone should be able to get you the photo you need easily. Based on your comment, I checked the 2018 wiring diagram and confirmed that Mahindra is not pinning the OBD2M in the standard configuration, however, Wade's (Diesel Freak) adapter would have taken that into account and correctly pinned the OBD2 connector to the standard, as is evidenced by so many who have simply plugged in his adapter and plugged in their ScanGauge II with success on 2018 thru 2022 2.5L models. I am still looking for a solution for running a ScanGauge on the 2023 HDUV 2.7L engine. If the 2023 HDUV OBD2M is now pinned to the standard configuration, that might explain why my ScanGauge 3 will not work using Wade's adapter. If you are able to confirm the 2023 HDUV OBD2M is pinned to the standard configuration, I should be able to repin Wade's adapter and get the ScanGauge 3 to work if it is not a protocol issue.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for that. The pinout looks the same as my 2018. So that blows that theory. You should have 12 volts on the red and black wires (A and D pins).
That was an excellent theory that I had not considered until you mentioned it. I would not have thought anyone would pin a standard diagnostic connector to a non standard pattern. Should have figured it would not be that easy. For clarity for those trying to follow this thread. The 2018 thru 2023 HDUV have their OBD2M connectors all pinned the same, including using the same wire colors. However that pinout is not a standard OBD2M pattern. However, Wade's (Diesel Freak) adapter is aware of that non-standard pattern and pins the OBD2 automotive style connector to the standard pattern which is what allows the 2018 thru 2022 2.5L ECMs to work with automotive scanners. So It still appears that the 2.7L ECM is using a different communications protocol than those of automobiles. I suspect that it is using a tractor/heavy equipment protocol (being it is a tractor engine), which I am going to attempt to test the next time I am at my ranch, using my heavy duty equipment scanner. If I am correct the ScanGauge D should work using a ScanGauge 2 cable and Wade's adapter. More to come, but it will be a while. I had asked Wade to test this for us, as he has all of the equipment at his shop, but I guess he has been too busy.

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I saw a YouTube video of a guy using an automotive style obd2 Bluetooth adapter and an app called Torque to read codes on a Mahindra tractor. 5555. I just looked for a obd2 port on my 5555 (2018)but didn't find one. Tomorrow I will see if any of my scan tools can get anything from my 2023 Roxor.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I suspect your Mahindra 5555 tractor either has the 6 pin flat OBD2M like the Roxor, but most likely has a round 6 or 9 pin connector which are the kind used on 18 wheelers, and heavy equipment. My caterpillar uses one of the round connectors and my HD OBD2 reader has adapters that convert those to the 16 pin automotive OBD2. I am hoping I can hook my HD OBD2 reader to the 2023 HDUV using Wade's adapter, the next time I get to go to my ranch. My automotive scan tools could not establish communication with the 2023 HDUV, like it was a protocol issue.

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Are we looking at a different protocol or more likely an encrypted ecm? The md1cs is used in the automotive industry and still communicates with standard obd2 scan tools. I have tried vcds that has been known to communicate to vw/audi with md1cs. I have tried an old tech2 but I didn't have the software for euro or Asian vehicles. My other hand helds didn't work nor did any of my obd2 bluetooth adapters.