ooooooooooo

Transmission weight?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have a new clutch to install. Anyone know how heavy the transmission/t-case assembly is? All I have is a floor jack to help me with removal.

Holleyb19

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
YES! I just installed the new clutch plate/pressure plate. The transmission is HEAVY! The transfer case is a huge part of its weight. Use a transmission jack, and only remove the cross member support from the frame, leave it bolted to the transmission. I pulled the shifter (manual) and that made maneuvering easier. When you pull it, remove the dust cover bolts before you start... top and bottom and pulling the front drive shaft is easier with the exhaust removed. The floor jack isn’t enough.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Impeccable timing. I have a buddy coming over tonight to help me drop it out. I don't have a transmission jack small enough at work, so I'll be using a floor jack.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well this transmission sucks. Someone walked off with my jackstands, and I only have 1 floorjack. It doesn't want to let go of something inside.. I'll get it all the way out tomorrow.

Holleyb19

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The starter had three bolts, there are two bolts right at the top of the bell housing and one bolt passenger side and there may be one more below the starter. You have to remove those bolts, slide the tranny back a quarter inch or so and remove the upper dust cover (2 or 3 small black bolts. You have to slide the dust cover out from around the shaft. It’s easier to get it out with the exhaust removed. Also, the engine hoist point on the back of the engine will scratch up inside the hood on the fire wall. I removed that hoist point. The radiator hoses will be stressed as well if you don’t brace the engine from underneath. You could use some ratchet straps over the frame rails to help let it down with the floor jack. The tranny really wants to roll off the floor jack because of the transfer case.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's where I'm probably hung up, and the dust cover. I got it to come back about an inch, and it won't go any further. Flashlights died in the midst of it. So we gave up.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The starter had three bolts, there are two bolts right at the top of the bell housing and one bolt passenger side and there may be one more below the starter. You have to remove those bolts, slide the tranny back a quarter inch or so and remove the upper dust cover (2 or 3 small black bolts. You have to slide the dust cover out from around the shaft. It’s easier to get it out with the exhaust removed. Also, the engine hoist point on the back of the engine will scratch up inside the hood on the fire wall. I removed that hoist point. The radiator hoses will be stressed as well if you don’t brace the engine from underneath. You could use some ratchet straps over the frame rails to help let it down with the floor jack. The tranny really wants to roll off the floor jack because of the transfer case.
I feel dumb AF. IDK how I missed the upper cover. 2 bolts and the tranny slid back. Thanks for the tip.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll definitely save this post in case I ever need to reference it, great information

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Easy once I removed the plate ?. Gonna have to wait to put it in until I get back from Homer this weekend. The right tool to torque the cap screws is in my toolbox at work. I'll get this thing wrapped up Thursday or Friday. Then Saturday it's off for adventure in the Alaskan wilderness.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm terrible when it comes to taking pictures of my work. I'll make a video before I toss it back in.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Finally back home. Time to get this thing back in. So much easier this way than fumbling with a jack. Took about an hour and it was in.

20210703_115940.jpg 20210703_115952.jpg

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Colderweather86: nice to see that suspending the transmission works on the Roxor. I watched a video recently where someone did that exact same thing on an old, old Jeep.

By suspending the transmission, is there anything you did not have to remove compared to dropping it on a jack and rolling it out from under the vehicle?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
No. It was all the same components. I took it out with my floor jack. It was much much easier with the chain hoist.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The hoist is a great idea. I hope my clutch holds up for a long time, but it's good to know a fairly easy way to change it with the come-a-long.