ooooooooooo

Tailgate

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anybody have a spare tailgate laying around they would sell? I bent mine up pretty good yesterday.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nothing but a bone head move on my part. I backed right square into my campers hitch in the driveway. Point of impact was the spare tire, hardly even put a nick in the rim. Good enough smack to knock a 24’ camper off its blocks with scissor chicks on both sides. I put a pic up afterwhile.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thinking about going with spray liner on both sides for the new one. Anybody know which product matches up best to the factory coating?

DA85DE33-A978-4AD6-B693-C93E77AE1AF3.jpeg

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anyway you could get a body shop to bend it back? I say this knowing that I really have no idea what I'm talking about so it could be a ridiculous suggestion.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Before you throw away the tailgate, you could try to bush fix it yourself:
1. Remove all hardware to not have any high points.
2. Lay a blanket and / cardboard on garage or driveway concrete floor.
3. Place the tailgate on the blanket / cardboard with the outside facing down. Tailgate forms an arch.
4. Do a number of hard bounces standing on the tailgate. If it does not move,
5. build a press: a 4x4 on top of the arching tailgate to distribute the pressure. A bottle jack or floor jack. on top of the 4x4 pressing up against the frame of the
Roxor.

Good luck.

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have straightened things by using a chain and jack. Using a 2x4 across the bent area and running a chain around it over the jack you can bring it back gently. Might have to move the jack a bit as it straightens, but you can get it back ok. The 2x4 will flex a bit as the steel will have to be over stressed a bit to rebound back to desired fix.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Oooh, that did leave a mark. I would try to straighten it myself too. If it wont budge by standing on it, try driving the roxor over it. What is the worst that can happen?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wouldn’t mind going back with a drop down.
Measure it and compare it to a CJ tailgate. I bet they’re the same dimensions. A little fab work on the latching and cables and you’ll have your drop tailgate.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Did it mess up the hinge points or latches? On the tailgate or roxor?

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Did it mess up the hinge points or latches? On the tailgate or roxor?
Yes it did bend the latch on the inside of the tub but hinges and everything else was fine.

I had priced a new “bare” tailgate from the dealer a couple days after it happened…$149. I just called them today and the new price is $249…..Let’s Go Brandon

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hmmm, jacking up the price from $150 to $250 in about two months. Sounds like the dealer is trying to get what they can.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For chits and giggles I’m gonna put the old one on blocks and lower the front bucket on a tractor to see if it will straighten. The weight of the Roxor didn’t even hardly flex it.

DDP70

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
For chits and giggles I’m gonna put the old one on blocks and lower the front bucket on a tractor to see if it will straighten. The weight of the Roxor didn’t even hardly flex it.
The bottle jack and 4x4 will flatten it back out if you have something heavy enough on top of the jack. It would also be a slower more controlled bend back in place. I've used the jack method to straighten bent trailer axels and it worked like a charm.