ooooooooooo

Street Legal Across states?

Lwhite5

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That great news....I live in Missouri and I guess I don’t fully understand how I would go about licensing my Roxor i. SD being that I live in mo

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I live in Missouri as well how do you go about licensing it in SD?

Just call any county clerk and they’ll walk you through. You get title, registration and plates with your home state address listed on paperwork. Sales tax due at 4% if new purchase.

BUT- A SD plate is meaningless outside SD. Seriously, if SD licensed a golf cart to travel on interstate freeways, do you think MO would allow the same use with your SD plate???

And if you’re a MO resident, at minimum, you’ll get an Improper Registration ticket along with possible moving violations.

I’ve learned a lot chasing this rabbit down the hole and I give up

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
About the only true way to license out of state when your home state requires you to register there within 30 days of residency is to form an LLC in the state you wish to license in. This gets you around the residency thing but then opens up possible tax liabilities and filings. And even if you jump thru this hoop you could still get in trouble as mentioned above. In Texas I can assure you they will still consider it an off highway vehicle and it cannot be driven on the road (with a few exceptions that are limited), I’m sure other states are similar. That said the only fool proof way is if you can get it licensed as a replica or kit car. Not sure if it will work in Texas but if one could find a state that was lax or willing to do it then an LLC in that state with an assembled vehicle or kit car plate might just be the ticket.

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My 2 Cents.. Dirt Legal works! I used them and my ROXOR is registrered with full car plates, I have a state car title in my name in my state and can drive it anywhere in the USA. Dirt Legal also helped with parts needed to make it all legal. They handle the paperwork. Yes there are other ways, but this was the easiest turn key scenario for me. Pay and be done with it. Very happy with the outcome.

Satex

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
About the only true way to license out of state ... In Texas I can assure you they will still consider it an off highway vehicle and it cannot be driven on the road (with a few exceptions that are limited), I’m sure other states are similar.
I'm not being argumentative, but how can you assure those problems? I don't see it, but if you have experience or specific knowledge I would like to be enlightened.

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
txroadkill said:
About the only true way to license out of state ... In Texas I can assure you they will still consider it an off highway vehicle and it cannot be driven on the road (with a few exceptions that are limited), I’m sure other states are similar.

I'm not being argumentative, but how can you assure those problems? I don't see it, but if you have experience or specific knowledge I would like to be enlightened.

The only legal way for any state to ticket a properly registered out of state registered vehicle for operation is, by way of example, State A doesn't recognize and has no agreement with State B in its statutes. Otherwise State A couldn't drive in State B. Every state has something covering this in its MV laws.

Having said that, there are three hurdles to cover:
1) Most states have a requirements that residents register and insure a vehicle within a short time frame. A LLC in another state IS the "owner" and is exempt. Other states may allow you to register with your home state address violate this requirement as written (and if checked).
2) Any requirements the state you are in has that you do not must be covered while in that state. For instance if you don't require insurance in state A but state B does, you can be cited for no insurance in State B.
3) State A can require that certain types of vehicles, for example a low CC motorcycle, be prohibited from a interstate highway or other roads. Even if you can drive your 125cc MC on the interstate in state A, you can't in State B. Specific restrictions can apply.

I have also heard that dirt legal works. I went the LLC route. You just need to make sure the LLC doesn't have any tax burdens added...I know the few I am aware of do not have any extra taxes and the LLC standard income is reported to the individual.

What your vehicle is titled as and the associated paperwork with it is critical. A Roxor registered as a "car", be is as a normal vehicle, replica, kit car, is good to go with a title, registration and insurance. No one can argue that, and any ticket issued would be found to be in error.

Registered as an MC or other type could create some issues, but any problems would be in the application of MC or other vehicle law in the state you are in. You need to research any restrictions on operations in your MV code.

Another options may be that many states have loose farm equipment regulations and several states have a newer "quadricycle" registration that covers vehicles like the polaris slingshot.

Obviously there is some unusual example that is not within the guidelines I listed, but they will work in almost every case.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

502.040 https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/pdf/TN.502.pdf it’s on page 15. 30 days to register your vehicle in TX upon moving here or purchasing vehicle. So if you ever get pulled over and your drivers license doesn’t match the start your in your gonna get a warning at best and at worst a ticket and probably a ruling/demand from the judge to register in Texas.

502.140 https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/pdf/TN.502.pdf on page 36 says you can’t register an all terrain vehicle or recreational off-road vehicle for operation on a public highway. Scroll to the beginning of 502 to read the definitions. This one piece of the code will invalidate your out of state plates like South Dakota. If the issuing state is giving you small plates most likely they will not work anywhere but the issuing state and perhaps some neighboring states where they’ve signed a reciprocity agreement with each other. And even then you have to follow the laws of each state.

Tx has a few exceptions where you can operate on public roads but you are restricted from interstates and restricted access highways and to a 25 mile radius and the operation must be connected to agricultural activities. This is a very nutshell version of it and I’ve posted it here verbatim many times. Search it out if you think it might apply to your situation.

With all that said the only way of not running afoul of the law is to get a kit car/replica title and registration either in Texas or another state. If another state you will need to do the LLC dance to avoid running afoul of the 30 day registration requirement. Even then I’m not 100% sure that you would never have any issues in the future. Depends on the LEO and lawyers (assuming you were involved in an accident). I can assure you running a small plate is a great way to have a bad day.

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I read the statute.. For you guys in Texas a LLC that issues a full size plate is the way to go. With the LLC it doesn't matter what the address is on the drivers license. Texas seems to be pretty clear on it with the exception being farm vehicles.
The stamp on the certificate of origin from Mahindra says "offroad use only" and that is the deal breaker in Texas. You just cant make it road worthy for a Texas registration unlike other states. Mahindra needs to stop that.

Just thinking out loud, but would getting a MV title in another state then using that to get a registration work in Texas? For instance, my LLC vehicle has a new regular MV title for my Roxor. I assume that I could do a registration transfer to Texas (if I was a resident)....but with the LLC and full size plate why would I do so?

Personally I think the method of putting a Jeep tub on it for the jeep vin is too expensive.

B

Bister

So I read the statute.. For you guys in Texas a LLC that issues a full size plate is the way to go. With the LLC it doesn't matter what the address is on the drivers license. Texas seems to be pretty clear on it with the exception being farm vehicles.
The stamp on the certificate of origin from Mahindra says "offroad use only" and that is the deal breaker in Texas. You just cant make it road worthy for a Texas registration unlike other states. Mahindra needs to stop that.

Mahindra won't be stopping 'that' anytime soon. The Roxor is authorized by the EPA off-road recreational vehicle regulations to be built, and sold as an "off-road" only vehicle. At no time will Mahindra get involved or encourage making it street legal. If they did, I am sure the EPA would have lots of legal paper work waiting for them. I guarantee you that you will never see Mahindra sell products to make your Roxor street legal or even mention it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when someone gets in a serious accident and if their insurance will actually be intact once the lawyers get involved.

I know there are states/places that allow SXS's legally on the road under certain conditions/restrictions.

General rule of law is that you have to abide by the jurisdiction you are in.

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 11.39.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 11.41.29 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Just thinking out loud, but would getting a MV title in another state then using that to get a registration work in Texas? For instance, my LLC vehicle has a new regular MV title for my Roxor. I assume that I could do a registration transfer to Texas (if I was a resident)....but with the LLC and full size plate why would I do so?

Personally I think the method of putting a Jeep tub on it for the jeep vin is too expensive.
What state is your Roxor registered in?

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
txroadkill said:
I have also heard that dirt legal works. I went the LLC route. You just need to make sure the LLC doesn't have any tax burdens added...I know the few I am aware of do not have any extra taxes and the LLC standard income is reported to the individual.

What your vehicle is titled as and the associated paperwork with it is critical. A Roxor registered as a "car", be is as a normal vehicle, replica, kit car, is good to go with a title, registration and insurance. No one can argue that, and any ticket issued would be found to be

Reading your post, I gather you have an LLC in a state that has full title/registration for the Roxor? Could you share?

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Under whiat guise did they invalidate the 'kit car' approach?

I know this question was legit for drivability
We all know the answer is no on all states.
It’s the bolted on roll bar that’s going to be the bigger problem with highway rollover. Great sxs cheap roll bar. When I’m on the highway already know anything can happen
Honeybadger101
Enjoy

BDEB122A-AC4A-4C01-9588-5A7983076E61.jpeg

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Reading your post, I gather you have an LLC in a state that has full title/registration for the Roxor? Could you share?
Nope. Just researched it thoroughly and came to the conclusion that while an LLC might benefit some it doesn’t benefit me in any way. If anything it adds complexity to my life while adding zero benefits as far as licensing a Roxor for street legal use in Texas.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nope. Just researched it thoroughly and came to the conclusion that while an LLC might benefit some it doesn’t benefit me in any way. If anything it adds complexity to my life while adding zero benefits as far as licensing a Roxor for street legal use in Texas.
24B8E4D5-9AEE-4C66-89A5-A8B3B4BE4A41.jpeg
Got mine street legal thru the state of Michigan and transferred the title to minnesota

Entglass51

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice, Did you do it yourself or had some help by outside vendor? i.e. Dirt legal
Tried that here in Florida and No way was DMV reaction to my request and It wasn't as bad getting title on '36 chevy pickup & I know it'll never pass an emission's test
They did the no airbag B.S. etc,
emission's we don't have that on this coast of Florida