ooooooooooo

Street Legal Across states?

DAPD12

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hello all! I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm moving to the UP (Michigan) and thinking about getting a Roxor street legalized.
Once it has the plate/tags and insurance, will I be able to drive it legally in any state?? Dirt Legal says yes, but just looking for second opinions because they may be biased :)

Thanks!

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’m not sure of the answer but personally I wouldn’t want to drive this on the road over 55 a lot, it’s great for 45 mph county roads and exploring but anything over 60 is pretty annoying. Another thing why would Dirt Legal be biased it’s not like you need to use them to be street legal in Michigan.

T-Towndawgg

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Dirt Legal is not needed for MI Roxor owners.

They will, however, take your money and tell you "no worries, all is well". This is the bias I think he's referring to. Most states have similar laws to AL, in that you will need full-size-in-state plates and in-state registration once you've resided in that state for more than 30 days, which makes Dirt Legal avenues useless for states like AL.

Read your states laws. I have read mine. They're stupid. I can legally marry my cousin, drive the wrong way down a one-way street so long as I have a lantern on the front of my car, but cant drive a Roxor on public roads.

DAPD12

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was thinking Dirt Legal would help by installing the turn signals/ windshield/ wipers/ horn etc for it to be street legal

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
To T’s point, I don’t disparage Dirt Legal, but you need to focus on the licensing laws in your state. Sure they can be skirted and deceive the DMV, but in the end game you still have licensed a vehicle that is not street legal. Mahindra went to a lot of trouble to make this the case. Very smart on their part, but they have deliver to us a great ride to use and enjoy. No regrets here. I’d buy another one tomorrow..

RoxorSE

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE #052
I’ve driven my Roxor over 55 mph on a two lane highway. I was impressed with how straight it tracked and the smooth ride. Personally I’d love to run the vehicle all over the state. That is if someone will make a normal soft top or a decent cab (that is affordable) for the Roxor.

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Dirt Legal is not needed for MI Roxor owners.

They will, however, take your money and tell you "no worries, all is well". This is the bias I think he's referring to. Most states have similar laws to AL, in that you will need full-size-in-state plates and in-state registration once you've resided in that state for more than 30 days, which makes Dirt Legal avenues useless for states like AL.

Read your states laws. I have read mine. They're stupid. I can legally marry my cousin, drive the wrong way down a one-way street so long as I have a lantern on the front of my car, but cant drive a Roxor on public roads.

Texas is just like that. 30 days to get registered at new addy in state. Off highway is not street legal even with an out of state small plate. I have several posts here about street legal ag use without a plate. I suggest that owners in states that do not have a street legal option research their states transportation code for any “loop holes”. I found the ag use in Texas and use it regularly. If you find a loophole I highly suggest you follow it to a “T” and print out a copy of it and carry it with you as the LEO will likely be ignorant to the statute that you are operating under.

Satex

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Texas is just like that. 30 days to get registered at new addy in state. Off highway is not street legal even with an out of state small plate. I have several posts here about street legal ag use without a plate. I suggest that owners in states that do not have a street legal option research their states transportation code for any “loop holes”. I found the ag use in Texas and use it regularly. If you find a loophole I highly suggest you follow it to a “T” and print out a copy of it and carry it with you as the LEO will likely be ignorant to the statute that you are operating under.
I live in TX, but when I get around to getting my Roxor, I will get it plated through Montana using my corporate name and address in Montana. Most use will be here, but the "register after 30 days" requirement will be moot.

Jrgunn5150

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
In Michigan, they will issue a VIN when they legalize it.

So, I live in Michigan, if I get mine street legal, and drive to Ohio, I'm still legal there.

If I move to Ohio, I have to transfer the registration. In Ohio specifically, probably not a problem outside of E-Check counties, in California? Forget it.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
In Michigan, they will issue a VIN when they legalize it.

So, I live in Michigan, if I get mine street legal, and drive to Ohio, I'm still legal there.

If I move to Ohio, I have to transfer the registration. In Ohio specifically, probably not a problem outside of E-Check counties, in California? Forget it.
I believe reciprocal states would honor your Michigan plate.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In MO, we have ag use with no plates and a municipality or county can permit use on roads at their discretion. UTVs here have no title or registration requirements. But, I’d really like to get title, registration and a full size plate to operate freely on public roads. I’m convinced that all states would respect the full size plate, registration and insurance card.

So, I’m going to pursue a “kit car” title and registration. I’ve read all the state laws and conclude this may be possible. If I’m successful, I’ll fill y’all in on the details.

Seriously, this machine handles way better than my 73 CJ5. Never say never!!

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: MO so far declined review of “kit car.” But their statutes state that a UTV is under 2000# and no title or registration is available. So, I do not own a UTV based on weight. But I doubt I can get a MO registration for an auto because the MSO states UTV or Off Road Only.

Talked with local HP and they said that if MO does not title UTVs and I have valid registration and mc plates from South Dakota, I’m good to go! My insurance carrier is also covering under MC classification.

So if I get hassled by the Man, I’ve got valid registration, insurance card and a copy of state statute to back up claim, “ But, it’s not a UTV, here’s the statute.” Even the OHV description in statute doesn’t fit.

I’ll update again after I get popped ‘cause believe me, I’m going to push this to the limit!

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Under whiat guise did they invalidate the 'kit car' approach?

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Talked with a HP examination center. Basically, the officer knew quite a bit about Mahindra. His rejection hung on the MSO and the fact that Roxor was brought to market avoiding modern safety/emission standards. But, after studying statutes, I found the weight limit on UTVs and the Roxor is clearly not a UTV in MO.

However, not ready to give up. The Roxor is clearly not covered by MO statute. Since it weighs in at over 3,000#, it should at least be inspected as any other custom car designed to imitate a 1946 CJ. MO statute even recognizes kit cars that are a modern clone of cars over 35 years old.

Entglass51

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Had discussion with Fla DMV supervisor, tried same kit car approach, it all goes back to Certificate of Origin mahindra wrote to much on it and I argued the MSO was due to no signals, windshield etc , was a mute discussion!! talking to the dealer I wanted the email of the Mahindra rep. see if I could get a revised MSO since I've done all the required street Legal work, this maybe like "pissing into the wind" but it may be an Mahindra option, a loophole, a way for those trying to Street Legal to get street Legal!!! Imagine do all your Street Legal stuff go back to selling dealer he looks at Roxor and if you've done everything you get a Corrected MSO & Welcome to Oz !!! LOL

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: Talked with MO DOR (DMV) at the state level. They told me that if registered and titled in another state (South Dakota, any non-resident can title there), then the title brand (motorcycle in SD) would carry forward when apply for title, registration and plates in MO. So there ya go!!!!! All operating rights on all roads in MO with MC title!!

There may still be an opportunity to title in MO as “Non Standard USA Vehicle” or “Replica” but requires HP examination and depending on how twisted their panties get, they may refuse to even look at it. And this would also require a VIN to be assigned. They already gave me the run around so not hopeful.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: SD does not brand title as Motorcycle only register as motorcycle