ooooooooooo

Steering column splined??

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thinking about replacing the stock Grant steering wheel with a retro Willis wheel. Is the steering column splined ? Any advice out there from the retro crowd?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
All steering columns are splined. Looks like a standard 11/16 shaft, 36 spline. Haven't pulled it off to verify yet.

Last edited:

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Have you been able to confirm is it is in fact a standard 11/16 shaft, 36 spline? I am also looking to change to a more retro style steering wheel.

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just curious why you would want a bigger steering wheel.
The Roxor’s powersteering works well with the small steering wheel.
A bigger steering wheel may make the steering touchy. Also, it may be harder ro get in and out.

My 1950s Jeep has a big steering wheel ((about 18"), which it needs to turn the wheels. I get the classic look.
For the look, going as retro as possible on my roxor. Understand your concern on the larger wheel, but the rox still has a good number of turns from lock to lock, so I dont think it will get touchy. Also I dont really want a full size MB wheel, but without knowing what it is I dont know what I can find to fit and get the look I want. I can always do some work to convert the wheel or the shaft, but dont really want to do any of that, looking to drop in.

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anybody know??? I guess i could just pull the steering wheel off, but to be honest I dont know what I am measuring to get the correct size?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There are some good places to buy Parts for old Jeeps, Walk 4x4, Kaiser Willys, and a number more. You could call them and ask what you need to measure to see whether or not an old Jeep steering wheel would fit.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
s-l1600.jpg

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The Roxor steering wheel is basically a Grant 1160 with a textured grip.