ooooooooooo

Starter motor problems (parts replacement 10 days)

Floyd rosencranz

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Starter motor full of mud and water no gaskets on bosh starter motor.
Factory answer 10 days and the dealership will get it.
Roxor thinks there building toys.
When their factory line goes down for 10 days for a $150.00 part I want to see them cry.
Anybody thinking about putting a Roxor to work every day think about 10 days for a part and they will not drop ship.
They are not ready at this time for a full time work vehicle.
10 days.
Thanks to the dealership they didn’t like Roxor’s answer ether. The part would be at the dealership in 5 days expedited.
They pulled a starter off, of one on the SHOW room floor!
Thanks to Jason from Plano Kawasaki
The new 2019 bosh starter has No Gaskets

sandyx

Founding Member
Kyle already knows of this. Gist of what he said is the owner used it on a field full of mud everyday(without wash). Starters are water resistant, not water sealed.

Not sure it's the same for all starter assys out there. Would love to hear more on this.

Bhayarock

Irrespective of the usage, we all have been there at somepoint, I think 10 days to ship a basic part is too much. This definitely needs improvement. You can live with some faulty parts such as console, soundbar etc, but parts such as alternators, starter motors, clutch, axles etc are critical and they should be with dealers for replacement.
I think the cause of failure is secondary it could be a quality issue with sealing or a usage issue as you mentioned. The bosch starter motor overall is quite resilient to water unless its completely submerged in water and subsequently shorts if not cleaned and dried.

Last edited:

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm interested to know more about HOW it failed. Like others have said most starters are water resistant, but I've never seen one that's waterproof. Did you submerge it a couple times while off roading? If so than this may actually not be a true warranty claim because it didn't fail due to some sort of manufacturing defect.

I think it's nice that Mahindra took care of you anyway. I think they could have gotten out of it if they really wanted to leave you out to dry. Hopefully the dealers will start stocking more parts so you can get a replacement faster.

sandyx

Founding Member
I think this part has to come from India given the powertrain comes fully assembled from there. One thing i could feel from the convo i had with someone in the know, they doing this replacement out of goodwill. Guess we can connect the dots here.

And some bits on how to avoid this kind of failure in future would be welcome too.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I think this part has to come from India given the powertrain comes fully assembled from there. One thing i could feel from the convo i had with someone in the know, they doing this replacement out of goodwill. Guess we can connect the dots here.

And some bits on how to avoid this kind of failure in future would be welcome too.

I agree. If someone wants to design some kind of gasket kit to protect the starter that might be attractive to a lot of Roxor owners like Floyd. There's another product idea for OTR

Floyd rosencranz

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok more details
First stage of starter problems
starter spins bendix doesn’t engage (about a week or 2)
Second stage
Once starter engages engine starts bendix doesn’t Disengage ( bad problem has to be shut down and fixed)
Third stage
Take off see the starter gear full of mud from the weep hole (mud gets behind the gear and won’t let the gear disengage the flywheel)
Forth stage
Call dealer to get starter motor (for next day delivery) ha ha

Bosh’s answer to no gaskets is the weep hole at the very bottom of the starter?
Polaris sportsman XP machine can handle the work environment I tried to copy them.
Polaris heat shrinks their starters I couldn’t find heat shrink so I used 5” electrical pvc conduit put it in the oven at 220 and formed it around the starter and bendix. Cut holes for the wires very hard to get the wires back on!

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Ok more details
First stage of starter problems
starter spins bendix doesn’t engage (about a week or 2)
Second stage
Once starter engages engine starts bendix doesn’t Disengage ( bad problem has to be shut down and fixed)
Third stage
Take off see the starter gear full of mud from the weep hole (mud gets behind the gear and won’t let the gear disengage the flywheel)
Forth stage
Call dealer to get starter motor (for next day delivery) ha ha

Bosh’s answer to no gaskets is the weep hole at the very bottom of the starter?
Polaris sportsman XP machine can handle the work environment I tried to copy them.
Polaris heat shrinks their starters I couldn’t find heat shrink so I used 5” electrical pvc conduit put it in the oven at 220 and formed it around the starter and bendix. Cut holes for the wires very hard to get the wires back on!

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Can one just seal the weep holes vs covering the whole starter and Bendix?

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Starters are nothing but electrical motors. Moisture is not good. Hence the weep holes. Water itself isn’t the real killer to the starters, it’s the minerals and dirt or other contamination that kills them or shorts them out. Even submerged if the water had low conductivity the starter would work and not short out. Bosch makes good products. Used them for years. Do to the similarity to ag motors I think you probably could get a starter from an ag dealer. Tractors of similar engine size probably use the same starter. Bosch is in many Mahindra products.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My starter just started making a noise occasionally , last week. It sounds like when you try to start a gas model that is already running - Like the bendex is spinning or not engaging ? Then it will start fine. Will be keeping an eye out. My warranty is supposed to be for 3 years but need to find my paperwork as I'm coming up on my one year anniversary . Do you have to take your machine in or will the dealer just let you pick up the part and exchange when it finally goes out? I can't wait in line for service for week(s) .
It's rained a lot here but I've not been in any creeks just splashed thru ditches for a few seconds.

B

Bister

My starter just started making a noise occasionally , last week. It sounds like when you try to start a gas model that is already running - Like the bendex is spinning or not engaging ? Then it will start fine. Will be keeping an eye out. My warranty is supposed to be for 3 years but need to find my paperwork as I'm coming up on my one year anniversary . Do you have to take your machine in or will the dealer just let you pick up the part and exchange when it finally goes out? I can't wait in line for service for week(s) .
It's rained a lot here but I've not been in any creeks just splashed thru ditches for a few seconds.
My starter did the same thing. My dealer put in a claim and gave me a call when the new starter arrived. I drove down and they changed it in 10 minutes, so I guess it depends on how your dealer wants to handle it. Mine trusted me on the diagnosis of the starter and put in a claim to have it replaced and the claim was approved. Standard policy for vehicle warranty is to have the dealer do it, so best is to give them a call and get the claim in and ask some questions. They will need your hours and mileage to put in a claim.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok. Thank you Bister. I can't be without the Roxor this week -as long as it starts- haha but will call and check. I think you are correct about them doing the service. I have around 300 hours and 1250 miles on mine so far.

B

Bister

Ok. Thank you Bister. I can't be without the Roxor this week -as long as it starts- haha but will call and check. I think you are correct about them doing the service. I have around 300 hours and 1250 miles on mine so far.

My starter did exactly what yours is doing, always started second or third try. I just wasn’t engaging. Hopefully your dealer is close. Mine is 26 miles and like I said, I drove down right into the shop and the mechanic changed it from the top and said it was one of the easiest to reach in a long time. Lol

Suggestion: park on hill just in case. Lol

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you. That sounds encouraging. I do love all of that spare room under the hood. And even better no "safety switches" to go bad like on the ZD28 lawnmower right now. (down to the last one "fixing for good" ) I'm about 30 miles from the Roxor dealer and will have to trailer the Roxor. I'm calling them tomorrow- today was a rough day on the farm. That way, they will have the part on hand as you suggested. :)

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well today was extra rough because we had a bad storm last night . It broke off 5 power poles on the road dividing the bil's farm so we've been on generator since then. The whole county had much much more damage though and no schools were open today even.
At lunch I called the dealer and he said Roxor would need to be left and probably would take a week and one half to 3 weeks for warranty service. They do a same day oil change for 4 wheelers- I see in their ads though... hummm well,, well ok then ...Maybe next time I pay cash for a piece of equipment I 'll negotiate a quick service ticket claim check for easy repairs or gather up the cash on the table.. I did do that once over an add on fee. The salesman went" uh uh wait a minute wait, a minute" . It is actually worth it to me- even though I'm not carefree, to just buy the starter and put it on myself. by the time I make 2 trips and then am without the machine for that long- plus unloading all my tools.... Alright , I'm a little ant in a big pile so will just buy the starter from one of the sponsors here.

KIMG0589.jpg

B

Bister

Well that sucks big time. It sounds like they never even put a claim in on your behalf. Did they ask for your mileage and hours? If not, tell them to put the claim in and see if it is approved or denied with your information. If it is denied, or they won’t put the claim in, you will order the starter (from another dealer) and install it yourself, or they can put the claim in and you will bring the unit in when the starter comes in. I am sure it would be approved on your information if they actually put a claim in.

There is another option, call the 800 customer service number on Roxors website. Being down for 3 weeks for a swap out starter is total bulls**t. I hate crap like that from dealers.

If you were on Facebook and made a post about it, I bet a Roxor personal would jump in and help. They do for lesser stuff, but they don’t follow this site.

Last edited by a moderator: