ooooooooooo

Roxor won’t start after stall

TomRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My son stalled the Roxor with a to abrupt of a clutch release

Then it wouldn’t start, the engine would turn over but it seemed to not get fuel, we tried 3x’s

We traded seats and we I tried it and it fired right up

What do you think was the issue?

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Engine was likely terribly rich after the stall, and just needed some time and perhaps more time on the glow plugs to get the fuel/air mixture to a combustible ratio. Probably would have started just fine with your son if you just waited a bit more and likely had nothing to do with changing seats. If it eventually restarted, I would not worry about it.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Engine was likely terribly rich after the stall, and just needed some time and perhaps more time on the glow plugs to get the fuel/air mixture to a combustible ratio. Probably would have started just fine with your son if you just waited a bit more and likely had nothing to do with changing seats. If it eventually restarted, I would not worry about it.
That's not at all how it works. If it was terribly rich it would start easily with lots of smoke.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Diesel does not burn, it combusts. It works the opposite of gasoline. If it's rich, the smoke will be black from a partial burn, or white from not burning. You can't snuff out a flame inside the engine in a rich condition like a gasoline burning engine does. The more fuel, the hotter the combustion will get.

It's possible the engine wouldn't start after the stall due to the keyswitch not being turned completely off. I've stalled mine quite a bit off road. The keyswitch needs to be shut off completely for a second or 2 to reset the ECM.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you for the education. I knew that you had to stop the flow of diesel into the cylinders to shut a diesel down, but I also thought that it was possible to simply have so much unburned diesel in a cylinder, especially after a stall, that you might not be able to raise the fuel/air mixture temperature up to the ignition point with the available compression for the mixture to ignite without possibly raising the temperature an additional amount with the glow plug.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Same thing happens with a modern electronic diesel engine semi if you stall it. You can crank the engine but it won’t start after a stall till you turn it off for a few seconds then try cranking it again.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
They don’t. Just saying a modern electronic diesel engine when you stall it has to reset the computer before it will restart. If you just reach over and turn the key it won’t start. Have to turn it off then try again a few seconds later.