ooooooooooo

Roxor long term reliability

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Hey fellas, I've been interested in the Roxor since I first learned of them. I envision using it as more of a run-around rig than a sxs with frequent 20-30 mile trips across dirt roads, 30 mile trips across blacktop to the next town over. So, I picture using it more like a daily driver than a weekend toy. Does Roxor fit this bill? Does anyone use theirs in this capacity? How many miles and any problems along the way? Licensing should not be an issue, fwiw.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So mine I use as a daily driver as well as a off road rig. I live in Utah and have it licensed as a SxS so no freeways. My desired top speed is 55 but I can go faster. The Roxor is built far better than modern Jeeps. Built to last, many things you can do to make it better by deleting emissions and tuning. Install hubs on front to prevent excess drag on front in when in 2x4. In India I've heard of them getting many more miles on their rigs then any modern car you buy here. It's a tractor. Buy one and make it fit your personality

Attachments

• 20210725_155617.jpg
    20210725_155617.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 20210725_152315.jpg
    20210725_152315.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 20210725_120747.jpg
    20210725_120747.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 276

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
That's good to hear. For some reason, I hadn't thought about these running around india prior to being sold here, but that makes sense. It seems that these have gone up some in price since the lawsuit and the lack of availability. I hope that trend does not continue!

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If u can get an 18-20 they will hold value over newer ones I feel. Very rock solid rigs over the traditional belt driven plastic SXS

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I had the pleasure of being able to get my hands on a Roxor. I was at the guys place looking at a 3 point winch for my tractor and the Roxor was parked in his garage. I forgot about the winch and spent some time crawling under and around his rig. He took me for a test drive, and offered to let me drive it, but I declined. I was impressed with it! Solid front axle (Dana 30 it looked like) and what looked a lot like a D44 rear end, with leaf springs holding it all together is a good recipe for a simple, reliable setup. I have always been disgusted at the $25k+ that guys pay for a sxs that is going to wear out in 5 years or less! These have the looks of something that will hold up over the long haul!

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
100% agree. Besides you will stand out and you can't go wrong with the diesel. All very simple to add to and repair. I wanted another CJ7 but didn't want 40 years old worn and and rusted. This was a perfect find and no repairs just build up. Congrats on getting an original designish rox. Now enjoy building up better

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Yeah, I wish I had been able to buy his Roxor! Sorry if my post was misleading, but no, I was only able to check out his rig...I dont think he had any thoughts of selling! It was a pretty nice setup too. Full cab, heater, doors, etc.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Lots or Roxors in Arizona are daily drivers. There's a guy in Phoenix that drives his on I17. Maniac. 3 in Prescott that are on the road everyday. The roxor fits the bill perfectly.

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
What kinds of top speeds can be realized after deleting the speed limiting software? If he is on the interstate I would assume he is a little over the standard 55 many seem to achieve.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The way I see it is these rigs aren't made for the highway. I've gotten up to 70 but I am for more comfortable off the freeway speeds. Last longer keeping them away from crazy drivers. My Roxor is not highway legal here in Utah anyways.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What kinds of top speeds can be realized after deleting the speed limiting software? If he is on the interstate I would assume he is a little over the standard 55 many seem to achieve.
I've had mine to around 70. Speedometer doesn't read that high. But I was being followed by someone who said I was doing "about 70"

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I'd say that 65-70 would be a good speed as long as stock gearing isn't so low as to cause the engine to be over-revving. I just wouldnt want to be the guy holding up traffic!

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Look at your higher RPMs. Running those speeds your getting to high end close to red line. Roxors aren't performance go fast rigs like the plastic expensive belt driven SxS. Be careful with higher speeds with the type of suspensions on the roxors

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
No, I understand what these are built for, but in the end it is essentially a Jeep, and jeeps are ran down the highway all the time!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
No, I understand what these are built for, but in the end it is essentially a Jeep, and jeeps are ran down the highway all the time!
But these are based off of late 40’s thru 50’s Jeep tech So keep in mind the increased maintenance needed compared to todays cars/jeeps as well as the design limitations. highway cruising I’d say isn’t too big a deal as long as the duration isn’t long (no 500 mile nonstop road trips) and the speed is reasonable considering the gears/tires on the Roxor. Now if you want to cruise 80 nonstop for 700 miles don’t be surprised when things like the bearings in the t case eventually go bad. Now if your just cruising the highways in town running 60-65 and only for say 15 miles at a time then your maintenance will be much less than the guy wanting to cruise the interstate at high speeds.

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Hmm, I didn't realize that common rail turbo diesel engines were around in the 40's! Lol, just playing! I know the axles in these are D30 up front and a D44 out back...axles that are still in common use today. I'm not sure which transmission they copied, but the T90's were used for a very long time and are well known as being very durable. I also dont know which Tcase they used. The Dana 20 T-cases of the 40's did not enjoy the popularity of many of the other drive train components, however the Dana 300s used slightly later are a very good T-case! Do you know which Tranny/T-case combo the Roxors get, or are they something that Mahindra builds on their own instead of copying?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hmm, I didn't realize that common rail turbo diesel engines were around in the 40's! Lol, just playing! I know the axles in these are D30 up front and a D44 out back...axles that are still in common use today. I'm not sure which transmission they copied, but the T90's were used for a very long time and are well known as being very durable. I also dont know which Tcase they used. The Dana 20 T-cases of the 40's did not enjoy the popularity of many of the other drive train components, however the Dana 300s used slightly later are a very good T-case! Do you know which Tranny/T-case combo the Roxors get, or are they something that Mahindra builds on their own instead of copying?
Actually they’re 44s front and rear with an oddball offset carrier. That’s why when regearing with standard gear sets you have to replace the carrier. Also the axles are wider than the flattys so you can’t swap those in either.

the trans is a Mahindra design that was supposedly weak but those are aluminum cases and ours our steel. I’m thinking they’ve been beefed up.

I think the t case is a Dana 18 clone but not exact as you can’t adapt the pto to it the way a bearing is retained or something along those lines.

also none of the leaf springs are identical to anything in a Jeep. The fronts are too short and the rears slightly longer.

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I'm also having a hard time seeing where you are coming up with your logic. You speculate that driving 15 miles at a time is ok, but longer trips are not. Could you explain to me what occours mechanically on a longer trip, but not on a shorter trip, that causes these problems you speak of? 80 mph...yeah, not what I was expecting. 65-70...depending on gearing and RPMs at these speeds, I'd expect this to be doable. If not, maybe a 5 speed gearbox with an overdrive could be looked into.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm also having a hard time seeing where you are coming up with your logic. You speculate that driving 15 miles at a time is ok, but longer trips are not. Could you explain to me what occours mechanically on a longer trip, but not on a shorter trip, that causes these problems you speak of? 80 mph...yeah, not what I was expecting. 65-70...depending on gearing and RPMs at these speeds, I'd expect this to be doable. If not, maybe a 5 speed gearbox with an overdrive could be looked into.
Heat. has to do with oil capacity of t case and oiling system. The longer and faster you drive the more heat that builds up. heat kills parts and degrades the oil faster which in turn could cause damage. of course outside ambient temps will affect this as well. 15 miles at 70 mph will build up more heat in august in Arizona than it will in December in say North Dakota. So while you may be able to do it I wouldn’t want to run across Arizona and New Mexico straight thru in the summer heat. Do it in the winter and the temps will be running much lower.

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
From what I have been reading it sounds like a leaf spring and shock absorber upgrade is popular. I'd bet that getting a longer spring under the front end with improved dampening would soften up the ride quality quite a bit.
Thanks for the info, I was under the impression these had D30s under the front end. Sounds like they built these with upgrading in mind by putting a 44 under there from the factory! I'm not a jeep guy, but I'm not sure if any jeeps in the past came with a 44 front from the factory? It seems all my jeep-wheeling buddies were either putting a 44 under the front, or putting Yota axles front and rear.
Are these mahindra trannys a 4 speed or a 3 speed?