ooooooooooo

Road Legal: North Carolina?

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Came across this interesting pending legislation by N.C. General Assembly. It would appear to directly apply to (modified) Roxor and, if so, may set an useful precedent for other states. That said, the stipulation of engine displacement "greater than 2400 CC" appears to be in error/typo, i.e., should read "less than 2400 CC." Obviously, most UTV's do not have anywhere near 2400 CCs.

Regulation of modified utility vehicles. S.L. 2020-40(H 307) enacts new G.S. 20-4.01(27), defining a modified utility vehicle as a motor vehicle that

• is manufactured for off-road use;
  • has headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, and seat belts;
  • has four wheels,
  • has an engine displacement greater than 2400 cubic centimeters;
  • is at least 142 inches long, at least 58 inches wide, and at least 70 inches tall;
  • has a maximum speed of at least 40 miles per hour; and
  • does not require an operator or passenger to straddle a seat.
A modified utility vehicle does not include an all-terrain vehicle, golf cart, utility vehicle as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(48c), or a riding lawn mower.

S.L. 2020-40 amends G.S. 20-121.1 to authorize the operation of modified utility vehicles on streets or highways where the speed limit is 55 miles per hour or less and to require that modified utility vehicles be registered and insured in accordance with G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-309.

The act is effective October 1, 2020.

Hoon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Came across this interesting pending legislation by N.C. General Assembly. It would appear to directly apply to (modified) Roxor and, if so, may set an useful precedent for other states. That said, the stipulation of engine displacement "greater than 2400 CC" appears to be in error/typo, i.e., should read "less than 2400 CC." Obviously, most UTV's do not have anywhere near 2400 CCs.

Regulation of modified utility vehicles. S.L. 2020-40(H 307) enacts new G.S. 20-4.01(27), defining a modified utility vehicle as a motor vehicle that

• is manufactured for off-road use;
  • has headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, and seat belts;
  • has four wheels,
  • has an engine displacement greater than 2400 cubic centimeters;
  • is at least 142 inches long, at least 58 inches wide, and at least 70 inches tall;
  • has a maximum speed of at least 40 miles per hour; and
  • does not require an operator or passenger to straddle a seat.
A modified utility vehicle does not include an all-terrain vehicle, golf cart, utility vehicle as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(48c), or a riding lawn mower.

S.L. 2020-40 amends G.S. 20-121.1 to authorize the operation of modified utility vehicles on streets or highways where the speed limit is 55 miles per hour or less and to require that modified utility vehicles be registered and insured in accordance with G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-309.

The act is effective October 1, 2020.
I bought my Roxor in Lumberton NC from Lumberton Suzuki. Junior, the owner told me this was coming down Oct 1 but I was skeptical. I live 6 miles from NC in SC. I hope SC will follow suit but if push comes to shove I'll buy a trailer house lot in NC so I can get a tag. Thanks for the info.

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just got plated in georgia. Have them my Washington title with road legal mods, showed them a picture of it as they hadn't heard of one and the boss said it good to go.