ooooooooooo

Process for street legal in Michigan?

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
View attachment 3919
Seems to be about the going rate for any street legal orv insurance in MI.

It is crazy when you hear how much less other states are paying for insurance!
I was quoted by State Farm for full coverage at $758 or basic coverage at $474 for 6 months and I placed the value of my vehicle at $22,000. In comparison I’m paying Auto-owners $652 for 6 months with full coverage on a $70,000 truck but they won’t cover the Roxor until I get my title back and see that it doesn’t say ORV anywhere. I have the State Farm agent working on a multi policy quote and will know that amount today.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
After sending proof of coordinated health coverage from blue cross/blue shield my rate for Michigan insurance is now $432 basic coverage and $719 full coverage 6 months and that’s just for the Roxor not a multi policy discount.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
ah, my title says an assembled pickup, I guess it depends what the branch SOS labels the type, not that it makes a difference from my perspective.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
ah, my title says an assembled pickup, I guess it depends what the branch SOS labels the type, not that it makes a difference from my perspective.
My title application for roadworthy stated ORV but when I tried to plate it today they found my new VIN in the system as assembled roadster. I still wasn’t able to get plates though because it wouldn’t let them enter a fee category for plates, they sent a request in to Lansing and said it would be 1-3 days before it gets corrected.

Entglass51

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I needed insurance for the bank that was holding note, Gieco issued as on road insurance not off road, $237 for 6 months
First call for off road was told no never Heard of ROXOR
Called back Explained what I needed and 10 minutes later Ins. Cert. was faxed to Dealership for Bank
working on signals & wipers going for Florida Street Legal

bobwhite

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Having issues getting mine inspected in my county. The deputy that does them said the state police has ruled they have to be inspected by a salvage vehicle inspector. The only one in my county is currently assigned to court duty and has not returned phone calls as of yet. The deputy I talked to said I was the 1st one to make an inquiry, I was getting quite the run around. I guess my next move will be to call a local state police post and see what I can find out. Bummed at the moment.

bobwhite

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Done. A street legal Roxor in Michigan! The sticker labels it as an Assembled vehicle.

Last week SOS inspector stopped by to placed the new VIN and today was able to get registration and a temp plate.

Roughly six weeks from visit with LEO to now.

Note: The only reason I got a temp plate from SOS was I ordered a personalized plate which takes three weeks.

View attachment 3903View attachment 3904
Excellent!

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Having issues getting mine inspected in my county. The deputy that does them said the state police has ruled they have to be inspected by a salvage vehicle inspector. The only one in my county is currently assigned to court duty and has not returned phone calls as of yet. The deputy I talked to said I was the 1st one to make an inquiry, I was getting quite the run around. I guess my next move will be to call a local state police post and see what I can find out. Bummed at the moment.

Hmmm, I was able to call the county sheriff department ask for an inspection on an assembled vehicle and they dispatched someone to my house that morning. The officer that did the inspection just went through the Michigan TR-54 form.

Roxor94

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
This is gonna be up to the individual officer and department believe it or not. I’ve talked to some who say they are not doing the inspection because they know nothing about these vehicles and they’re not going to be held liable if there was an accident.

Form what I hear the state police are less likely to inspect a vehicle but I’d try anyways. Maybe you’ll get the one officer who didn’t grow up in the city.

Look how many people don’t even know what a sxs is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
This is gonna be up to the individual officer and department believe it or not. I’ve talked to some who say they are not doing the inspection because they know nothing about these vehicles and they’re not going to be held liable if there was an accident.

Form what I hear the state police are less likely to inspect a vehicle but I’d try anyways. Maybe you’ll get the one officer who didn’t grow up in the city.

They aren’t responsible for anything, it’s just an initial inspection saying you have installed the required accessories to make it street legal. Once you get that done you’ll take it to the SOS and apply for a title. After that the State will actually send a certified inspector to do a final inspection and VIN sticker placement.

Roxor94

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with you that the inspection is a nothing burger but I’m not the one doing the inspection.

That last bulletin the state police sent to all the departments surely made officers not familiar with Orv’s even more hesitant to inspect a vehicle.

bobwhite

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I agree with you that the inspection is a nothing burger but I’m not the one doing the inspection.

That last bulletin the state police sent to all the departments surely made officers not familiar with Orv’s even more hesitant to inspect a vehicle.

What did they send out? I believe that's what this deputy was alluding too.

bassguy354

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Kalamazoo county deputies just recently received training on how to do the inspection. A few weeks ago, none of them would do it. Last week, the deputy who was dispatched came quickly, was enthusiastic, and did the inspection with no problems. Hopefully all the other county sheriff offices get their training soon!

The recent bulletin that I am aware of was from the SoS and mentioned double checking for real safety glass (no plastic of any brand) & making sure the parking brake uses a cable & stops both rear wheels. Roxor’s stock parking brake is fine, btw.

I do have a question for anyone who has finished the process: When you submit your TR-54, title, receipts, & statement to the SoS, when do you find out what your new VIN is? I want to get a temporary registration like the yellow SoS paper says that I can, but I cannot get insurance without the new VIN. I’m just trying to avoid an extra 3+ hour wait in the SoS line if I can. Thanks!

Last edited:

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Kalamazoo county deputies just recently received training on how to do the inspection. A few weeks ago, none of them would do it. Last week, the deputy who was dispatched came quickly, was enthusiastic, and did the inspection with no problems. Hopefully all the other county sheriff offices get their training soon!

The recent bulletin that I am aware of was from the SoS and mentioned double checking for real safety glass (no plastic of any brand) & making sure the parking brake uses a cable & stops both rear wheels. Roxor’s stock parking brake is fine, btw.

I do have a question for anyone who has finished the process: When you submit your TR-54, title, receipts, & statement to the SoS, when do you find out what your new VIN is? I want to get a temporary registration like the yellow SoS paper says that I can, but I cannot get insurance without the new VIN. I’m just trying to avoid an extra 3+ hour wait in the SoS line if I can. Thanks!
You get a VIN as soon as you submit your application for a title

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You get a VIN as soon as you submit your application for a title

I understand your frustration my title application went unnoticed as assembled 4 wheeler when I tried to get plated last week I was unable to because of the wrong title. 5 visits to the SOS and 3 hours of phone calls to Lansing and today I’m finally registered and I received a temporary plate because I’m getting a specialty plate.