ooooooooooo

Process for street legal in Michigan?

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I sell insurance in Minnesota and the Roxor can be insuranced here to be street legal don’t know why Michigan would be any different.
Probably because we’re a no fault state with
I sell insurance in Minnesota and the Roxor can be insuranced here to be street legal don’t know why Michigan would be any different.
I’m not sure if it’s because we’re a no fault insurance state but I had to call 6 different insurance companies to find one that’ll insure it for road legal use. My insurance agent couldn’t find one of her carriers to insure it so I had to reach out to State Farm as they will carry it, I’m sure I’ll be moving my auto policy as well to them once I get my new title. Worst part is we recently had a new law passed to allow side by sides to be license plated as roadworthy with a few modifications but most insurance companies won’t cover them.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Probably because we’re a no fault state with

I’m not sure if it’s because we’re a no fault insurance state but I had to call 6 different insurance companies to find one that’ll insure it for road legal use. My insurance agent couldn’t find one of her carriers to insure it so I had to reach out to State Farm as they will carry it, I’m sure I’ll be moving my auto policy as well to them once I get my new title. Worst part is we recently had a new law passed to allow side by sides to be license plated as roadworthy with a few modifications but most insurance companies won’t cover them.
Minnesota is a no-fault state as well. Not every company wants to insure these vehicles due to the fact the Mahindra is selling them as UTV and don’t have to pass a crash test among other safety regulations. At least you can get them a real license plate over here if I want a Roxor which I do but bothers me that I would have to drive it with an out of state plate from South Dakota thru Dirt legal which I am not excited about at all

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just got my approval letter today.

D83CA56E-488D-4ECE-BD78-AD53D6CD1E11.jpeg

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Congratulations. So do you have to take it somewhere for the final inspection? Or will they come out to you?
The inspector called me Monday and I asked this same question, he said “I’ll come to you because if you had to trailer it that’s not your tax dollars working for you”. He said he should have my packet in a week or two and he’ll be giving me a call to set up a time. He also asked if I had a secondary braking system because a lot of his final inspections are failing,(he’s been doing a lot of polaris’s with just the parking brake on the gear shifter). Once I explained to him what vehicle he’ll be inspecting he seemed more than excited to check it out up close because he has seen them passing by at the dealerships.

Fish906

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I am following this closely, as a fellow Yooper. I'm on the fence if I want to go through with purchasing a Roxor. I have a quote from a local dealer on a Roxor I want, but I'm just trying to decide if I want to take out another loan at this time. Then there is the additional cost of getting parts to make it road legal, and the need to add a rear seat, seatbelts, and some sort of rear roll cage so my daughter can ride with my wife and I. This is easily a couple thousand or at least an additional $1500 or so depending on how I choose to accomplish it, on top of the cost of the bare-bones Roxor. Someone I know is offering me a good price on a 92 Jeep Wrangler, which I could pay cash for and have all of the above boxes checked at no extra cost, no monthly payment, and no trouble insuring. There is something that draws me to the Roxor though, I have test drove them twice and really like them. Getting one road legal and readied for a toddler to ride in the back, more or less safely, sure seems like the long (expensive) way around. I have also been hassled by local law enforcement for riding an ORV at more that 25 mph on a county road where I live. If I bought a Roxor and had to worry about going over 25 mph on county roads prior to it becoming road legal, when coupled with the expense of ownership, I would be really unhappy. If I buy this Jeep though, I would still probably save towards the pricey journey of a road legal Roxor.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am following this closely, as a fellow Yooper. I'm on the fence if I want to go through with purchasing a Roxor. I have a quote from a local dealer on a Roxor I want, but I'm just trying to decide if I want to take out another loan at this time. Then there is the additional cost of getting parts to make it road legal, and the need to add a rear seat, seatbelts, and some sort of rear roll cage so my daughter can ride with my wife and I. This is easily a couple thousand or at least an additional $1500 or so depending on how I choose to accomplish it, on top of the cost of the bare-bones Roxor. Someone I know is offering me a good price on a 92 Jeep Wrangler, which I could pay cash for and have all of the above boxes checked at no extra cost, no monthly payment, and no trouble insuring. There is something that draws me to the Roxor though, I have test drove them twice and really like them. Getting one road legal and readied for a toddler to ride in the back, more or less safely, sure seems like the long (expensive) way around. I have also been hassled by local law enforcement for riding an ORV at more that 25 mph on a county road where I live. If I bought a Roxor and had to worry about going over 25 mph on county roads prior to it becoming road legal, when coupled with the expense of ownership, I would be really unhappy. If I buy this Jeep though, I would still probably save towards the pricey journey of a road legal Roxor.
I hate paying interest. I’d either save for the Roxor or buy the Jeep.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Done. A street legal Roxor in Michigan! The sticker labels it as an Assembled vehicle.

Last week SOS inspector stopped by to placed the new VIN and today was able to get registration and a temp plate.

Roughly six weeks from visit with LEO to now.

Note: The only reason I got a temp plate from SOS was I ordered a personalized plate which takes three weeks.

fullsizeoutput_a92.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a8e.jpeg

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Done. A street legal Roxor in Michigan! The sticker labels it as an Assembled vehicle.

Last week SOS inspector stopped by to placed the new VIN and today was able to get registration and a temp plate.

Roughly six weeks from visit with LEO to now.

Note: The only reason I got a temp plate from SOS was I ordered a personalized plate which takes three weeks.

View attachment 3903View attachment 3904
Nice! My inspector will be here Thursday for VIN placement, 38 days from start to finish. Does your new title say assembled or mention anything about ORV in it.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ll pursue this in SC and advise. However, I feel like I’ve been down every road

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’ll pursue this in SC and advise. However, I feel like I’ve been down every road
Just remember Michigan just passed a bill which enables side by sides to be plated with a few additional safety add ons, it’s not like anyone is trying to deceive the state to get licensed.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you. I could get it plated in SC, but it would be a deception. I’ll study the MI legislation. I’ve thought about getting legislation introduced but I swear they have every angle covered in SC, although a few have gotten plated skirting the legalities. Not me.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you. I could get it plated in SC, but it would be a deception. I’ll study the MI legislation. I’ve thought about getting legislation introduced but I swear they have every angle covered in SC, although a few have gotten plated skirting the legalities. Not me.
Michigan once had this luxury before but the powers that be took the right away, I have a feeling that the Roxor being assembled in Michigan helped get this bill reintroduced. The way the requirements are written most side by sides braking systems would have to be refigured.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Agree, the emergency brake was the only question the inspector asked about before the visit, he said he has already failed a number of side by sides already because of that.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Agree, the emergency brake was the only question the inspector asked about before the visit, he said he has already failed a number of side by sides already because of that.
He asked me the same question too and said he has failed a lot because of this. Does your new title have anything that says ORV on it? My insurance company will insure it for road legal if it doesn’t, if not I’ll be going over to State Farm.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Haven't seen the new title , it's in the mail, but I have a feeling it will say "Assembled" as the VIN sticker does, not sure if it will also say ORV. It's interesting that assembled vehicle options are either a Pickup or dune buggy, the Roxor is labeled as a pickup.

My insurance is through State Farm,

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am paying way too much like $750 every 6 months, but we're not a good comparison because our limits are set higher than normal. I definitely look forward to Michigan changing their auto insurance laws.

Roxor94

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Seems to be about the going rate for any street legal orv insurance in MI.

It is crazy when you hear how much less other states are paying for insurance!