ooooooooooo

POST YOUR STATE'S LAW ALLOWING ROAD USE......

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Hey all,

So its been almost 2 years now since the Roxor has been out and on the loose. I have had mine 16 months to date. Many of us including myself have dreamed about being able to drive the Roxor on the road, even if it is in a restricted manner such as no intrastate or highway use.

Many here on the forum have had success in their home states with full blown road worthy tags or in limited use tags. In my state, Texas, the state has basically blocked out any chance with a simple note on the title stating for "OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY". I have looked at tagging as a replica, assembled vehicle, military replica, get rid of Mahindra product code number and issue a new vin number per state rules and just about every other 100% LEGAL approach. I even paid, yes paid a vehicle title service to try and use their vast knowledge and experts and that didn't even work.

So in this thread I would love to see everyone who has had success with 100% LEGAL registration of their Roxor to post a link or provide the section codes of THEIR STATES LAW'S ALLOWING FOR REGISTRATION. Then I may be able to gather this all up and try to get a meeting with a TXDMV person and plead the case for the ROXOR here in Texas......

Thanks' ALL

BDRAG

secretv

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
By 100 percent legal utilization do you mean the laws regarding getting full size plates or any road use?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
By 100 percent legal utilization do you mean the laws regarding getting full size plates or any road use?

LEGAL plates meaning you followed the rules, not bending them only to get registration pulled later, full size plates or other motorcycle. LEGAL registration even if its limited access.

I want to show what other states allow and use that info for reference to show different uses from FULL BLOW to COUNTY ROADS UNDER 55 MPH. Anything that other states currently allow or have bent the rules to allow.

BDRAG

secretv

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The State of Arizona allows the Mahindra Roxor to be made legal for road use. Here is the document. Page 5 of the PDF or if you're going by the doc page 6 has the requirements for making something street legal with a motorcycle plate. Note that not listed is the Vehicle License Tax (VLT) that is required to be paid to the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) because of the Roxor's weight. Some people will say otherwise, but anytime I've spoken to the MVD they say it must be paid. I believe someone on the forum recommended making sure that it's paid at purchase at the dealership. For a 2019 Roxor VLT was a little over 300 dollars, they go by MSRP, not by total sale price, or dealer price. All children under 18 require a helmet regardless having a windscreen/windshield. One can also get a full arizona plate, but I'm not sure what that process entails, I know it requires an in person inspection. I'm unsure of emissions requirements if one goes that route.

Last edited:

Gilmer

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Last edited:

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had my Roxor 1 year this week. Have tried 3 different times and was finally successful yesterday at getting a full size, unrestricted, transferable tag in Alabama. As far as I know I am the very first person in my state to achieve this.
There are no laws currently stating that windshield, turn signals, wipers etc are required but I did have all this at the time of inspection. Here is a link that might be helpful. What are the prerequisites for registering a vehicle in Alabama?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Thanks ALL. KEEP THEM COMMING......

And to look at these STRAIGHT FORWARD laws is wonderful and they are simple and to the point.
Texas has a 24 page re write in work as of now for a new law passed last year for Assembled Vehicles. Its mind twisting and if your not rehearsed in the old and new versions, you have almost no chance at doing it right the first time. It is a tad less cloudy. Its crazy complicated.

Keep in mind this is in work. The law went into effect last Sept 1. The crossed out verbiage is old law and underlined is new proposed changes.

BDRAG

Last edited:

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had my Roxor 1 year this week. Have tried 3 different times and was finally successful yesterday at getting a full size, unrestricted, transferable tag in Alabama. As far as I know I am the very first person in my state to achieve this.
There are no laws currently stating that windshield, turn signals, wipers etc are required but I did have all this at the time of inspection. Here is a link that might be helpful. What are the prerequisites for registering a vehicle in Alabama?
Update: I was issued a tag on January 21 and got a call from the tag office on January 23 saying I would need to return my tag for a full refund because they made a mistake and couldn’t tag the vehicle. I guess the Alabama department of revenue is watching this forum.

I am currently in the process of trying to get a rebuilt title where the vehicle will have to be inspected to make sure it complies with the requirements of being on the road.

I’m a little frustrated but don’t mind being a guinea pig and pave the way for others. I don’t want to be the only Roxor owner on the road who got lucky and got tagged. I will update on the process and how it goes.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Update: I was issued a tag on January 21 and got a call from the tag office on January 23 saying I would need to return my tag for a full refund because they made a mistake and couldn’t tag the vehicle. I guess the Alabama department of revenue is watching this forum.

I am currently in the process of trying to get a rebuilt title where the vehicle will have to be inspected to make sure it complies with the requirements of being on the road.

I’m a little frustrated but don’t mind being a guinea pig and pave the way for others. I don’t want to be the only Roxor owner on the road who got lucky and got tagged. I will update on the process and how it goes.
WOW.......

secretv

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Damn. has anyone used Dirt Legal
I called them and they told me they couldn't title it with full plates for me here in AZ. They stated I'd only get a motorcycle plate, so I decided to just do it myself rather than pay them their fee and then have to also pay the AZ vehicle license tax and registration. The only place they did full plates for when I called were in Michigan.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
J

Jeepish,

The officer I talked with that handles the training for the state of people who are the vin issuing officers told me that the Roxor is built by someone, Mahindra, it's not a replica, it's not a replica kit, it's not rebuilt because Mahindra built it, it's not an assembled vehicle because a manufacturer built it, Mahindra.

So it's apparent that Mahindra built it, built it for off highway use only and just about every state knows about the Roxor and have a consorted effort to NOT LET THEM ON THE STREET! Detroit has their thumb in every buracratic ass at every level to try and stamp these great machines into oblivion .

You park a roxor next to a CJ7, CJ5, old Toyota Land Cruiser , a geo tracker, a Suzuki samurai, and a dozen other pre 1990 on/off road vehicle and the Roxor is actually safer, more fuel efficient and as time will tell, more dependable than many. BUT OH NO, THEY CANT EVER BE ALLOWED ON THE ROAD, THEY ARE MAHINDRA.

It does piss me off. I have not given up yet. That's why I need every states laws allowing ANY KIND OF ROAD USE by the Roxor or any UTV so I can compile, add pictures and info into some sort of presentation and see just how far up the Texas DMV I can talk to about some sort of compromise for over road use.

BDRAG

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I went thru the process in Michigan and transfered the title to minnesota. To my knowledge I am the only one that has a title showing its street legal and full size plates in Minnesota

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I went thru the process in Michigan and transfered the title to minnesota. To my knowledge I am the only one that has a title showing its street legal and full size plates in Minnesota
Please post the regs or process you used.

BDRAG

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Please post the regs or process you used.

BDRAG
Michigan Department of State Instructions for Titling an Assembled Vehicle
The Michigan Department of State has special procedures for titling an assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle is:
● One built from new or used materials and parts by someone not recognized as a manufacturer (usually an individual). Example: A homemade vehicle.
● One altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. Example: A Volkswagen made into a dune buggy.
● One which has had its body replaced with a different style body unit from another vehicle. Example: A Ford pickup truck has its cab replaced with a Chevrolet cab.
● One assembled from a kit designed for on-road use (often called "kit cars").
NOTE: Vehicles manufactured as an off-road vehicle (ORV), all-terrain vehicle (ATV), or off-road dune buggy can be titled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use.
When all documents are in order and the title application is processed, allow 8 to 10 weeks for processing the new title and the special vehicle identification number. During this time, a license plate or temporary permit is not allowed.
Submitting Proof of Ownership
All ownership documents, including titles, a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, and bills of sale for parts or materials used in assembling the vehicle must be turned in to the Michigan Department of State when filing the title application.
The following vehicle parts must be accounted for with an ownership document:
Motor Vehicle
• Engine
• Transmission
• Body parts (doors,
front and rear clips)
• Frame, including axles
• Wheels
Motorcycle Titled Trailer
The ownership document or bill of sale must include:
• Engine • • Transmission • • Frame •
Frame and axle Wheels
Box, if any
Body unit (if trailer is a camping trailer or trailer coach)
• Front end assembly, including the fork
• Wheels • Seat

1. The owner's name and address, or the name and address of the person who assembled the vehicle for the owner.
2. The date of purchase.
3. A description of the parts and the price paid for them. If there are any serial numbers on the parts, they must be shown. Engines, transmissions, and frames have serial numbers. These numbers must be shown on the bill of sale.
4. The name, address, and telephone number of the parts dealer or person who sold the parts.
-over-
BFS-72 (01/20)

Scrap Titled Vehicles
Each scrap titled vehicle must be completely dismantled, with all major component parts removed from the frame or unitized body supporting structure, before the frame or unitized body structure may be used as part of an assembled vehicle. To qualify for an assembled vehicle title, a vehicle assembled from scrap vehicle parts must be made up of major component parts from two or more vehicles. An assembled vehicle may not include both the frame (or unitized body supporting structure) and any other major component part from the same scrap titled vehicle.
Equipment Inspection
With this instruction sheet, the owner is given a TR-54 Vehicle Number/On-Road Equipment Inspection form. Parts 1 and 2 must be completed by a Michigan police officer, who will examine the vehicle for serial numbers and certify that it has all the required on-road equipment. If the police officer finds no serial numbers on the assembled vehicle, the officer should enter "None" on the form.
The completed inspection form must be returned with the proof of ownership when filing the title application.
Weight Slip for Trailers
If the assembled vehicle is a trailer or trailer coach, you will need to get it weighed at a local scale. Lumber yards and scrap yards usually have scales. By law, you do not need a license plate to pull an empty trailer to or from the scales. Submit the weight slip when processing the title application.
At the Branch Office
At the Secretary of State branch office, the owner will be asked to complete a certification statement which describes the building of the assembled vehicle.
When the title application is processed, the branch office will compute a new vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle. There is a $10 fee for the new VIN sticker. The new VIN sticker will be prepared in Lansing.
On the title application, the branch office employee will ask for a telephone number where the owner can be contacted during business hours. After the application is researched and the new title printed, the owner will be contacted to make arrangements for installation of the special VIN.
The vehicle must be taken to a prearranged location at the appointed time. There the vehicle will be re-inspected and the special VIN sticker affixed. At that time, the owner will receive the new assembled vehicle title and will be able to purchase or transfer a license plate. Proof of Michigan no- fault insurance is required.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Department of State Information Center at 888- SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Authority granted under Public Act 300 of 1949 as amended.
BFS-72 (01/20)

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Michigan Department of State Instructions for Titling an Assembled Vehicle
The Michigan Department of State has special procedures for titling an assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle is:
● One built from new or used materials and parts by someone not recognized as a manufacturer (usually an individual). Example: A homemade vehicle.
● One altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. Example: A Volkswagen made into a dune buggy.
● One which has had its body replaced with a different style body unit from another vehicle. Example: A Ford pickup truck has its cab replaced with a Chevrolet cab.
● One assembled from a kit designed for on-road use (often called "kit cars").
NOTE: Vehicles manufactured as an off-road vehicle (ORV), all-terrain vehicle (ATV), or off-road dune buggy can be titled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use.
When all documents are in order and the title application is processed, allow 8 to 10 weeks for processing the new title and the special vehicle identification number. During this time, a license plate or temporary permit is not allowed.
Submitting Proof of Ownership
All ownership documents, including titles, a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, and bills of sale for parts or materials used in assembling the vehicle must be turned in to the Michigan Department of State when filing the title application.
The following vehicle parts must be accounted for with an ownership document:
Motor Vehicle
• Engine
• Transmission
• Body parts (doors,
front and rear clips)
• Frame, including axles
• Wheels
Motorcycle Titled Trailer
The ownership document or bill of sale must include:
• Engine • • Transmission • • Frame •
Frame and axle Wheels
Box, if any
Body unit (if trailer is a camping trailer or trailer coach)
• Front end assembly, including the fork
• Wheels • Seat

1. The owner's name and address, or the name and address of the person who assembled the vehicle for the owner.
2. The date of purchase.
3. A description of the parts and the price paid for them. If there are any serial numbers on the parts, they must be shown. Engines, transmissions, and frames have serial numbers. These numbers must be shown on the bill of sale.
4. The name, address, and telephone number of the parts dealer or person who sold the parts.
-over-
BFS-72 (01/20)

Scrap Titled Vehicles
Each scrap titled vehicle must be completely dismantled, with all major component parts removed from the frame or unitized body supporting structure, before the frame or unitized body structure may be used as part of an assembled vehicle. To qualify for an assembled vehicle title, a vehicle assembled from scrap vehicle parts must be made up of major component parts from two or more vehicles. An assembled vehicle may not include both the frame (or unitized body supporting structure) and any other major component part from the same scrap titled vehicle.
Equipment Inspection
With this instruction sheet, the owner is given a TR-54 Vehicle Number/On-Road Equipment Inspection form. Parts 1 and 2 must be completed by a Michigan police officer, who will examine the vehicle for serial numbers and certify that it has all the required on-road equipment. If the police officer finds no serial numbers on the assembled vehicle, the officer should enter "None" on the form.
The completed inspection form must be returned with the proof of ownership when filing the title application.
Weight Slip for Trailers
If the assembled vehicle is a trailer or trailer coach, you will need to get it weighed at a local scale. Lumber yards and scrap yards usually have scales. By law, you do not need a license plate to pull an empty trailer to or from the scales. Submit the weight slip when processing the title application.
At the Branch Office
At the Secretary of State branch office, the owner will be asked to complete a certification statement which describes the building of the assembled vehicle.
When the title application is processed, the branch office will compute a new vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle. There is a $10 fee for the new VIN sticker. The new VIN sticker will be prepared in Lansing.
On the title application, the branch office employee will ask for a telephone number where the owner can be contacted during business hours. After the application is researched and the new title printed, the owner will be contacted to make arrangements for installation of the special VIN.
The vehicle must be taken to a prearranged location at the appointed time. There the vehicle will be re-inspected and the special VIN sticker affixed. At that time, the owner will receive the new assembled vehicle title and will be able to purchase or transfer a license plate. Proof of Michigan no- fault insurance is required.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Department of State Information Center at 888- SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Authority granted under Public Act 300 of 1949 as amended.
BFS-72 (01/20)

Thanks. The Texas re write is similar sept the DO NOT ALLOW for an OFF ROAD vehicle regardless of modification. Now the Dune Buggy guys are good now as assembled by a HOBBYIST. Thats the angle I'm prolly shooting for when I make a plea.

BDRAG

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Jeepish, I'm sorry to hear this. I thought you had hit the jackpot. is Mini truck still an option for you?

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My representative introduced a bill in OK. HB3933. To allow Roxor and other UTVs on the road. Modeled after Wyoming law. Been working with him for over a year. Fingers crossed in Oklahoma.