ooooooooooo

Plowing gently in 4L with chains broke the Dana 44's ...?

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
New 2022 Winterized all original equipment. I added some SUV chains, Western Impact 6ft V-Plow and I that's all I was gonna need ... I thought. Well, I broke the front axle on the second day of use Plowing but first real test of what it could do. It cleared out the road that it was parked on, it did my 50 foot driveway, it cleared my partner's (half owner) 60 foot driveway with 3.5 feet of snow, it cleared all of the streets that we traveled (half of a mile squared), it cleared up steep hills and down with no slippage and it carried a Korean War Vet and his grandkids up a hill that nobody was attempting ... no problems. I get back to my cabin to clear the road adjacent to my home and it was buried with 3 to 4 feet of snow on the upper half (uphill portion). So not to ride the clutch, I decided to finally use Low 4wheel drive to have a nice slow steady push. I put it in v-formation and a little raised off the ground and plowed away. One of my neighbors joined me to witness firsthand the effortlessness of the Roxor in action ... he was impressed beyond all means. Just as I was finishing up I felt the Roxor loose forward power and slide to my left with a snapping sound. I looked at my front wheel and the chains were still on but there was a dark cap like piece of metal out in front of my plow. My neighbor saw it and explained what it was and he was right.
I called the Farm Implement company I bought it from and the mechanic stated "The perfect storm! You added chains to the front wheels, you added a heavy plow that extended out 3 feet and then you put it in 4 Low which then caused you to loose all power and started to slide to the broken side right? Well, that is what happens when something gets overweighted and then forced into a greater stressor ... something has to give and it is the weakest link, your front u-joints." I am not a mechanic, but I did stay in a Holiday InnExpress last night and I call that explanation a CYA Exemption. My neighbor called me later and said that he swore he heard me say that I had Dana 44's "... that should not have happened Joe those are almost bulletproof and you were not working that rig hard at all! That should be covered by Mahindra or the dealership!" 2 days of easy polite snow pushing and the 44's give out? Mahindra employees carelessness or 44's are not really that great? I am disappointed but not pissed, although this is now the 2nd Roxor in 2 months and I am batting 0.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.48.23 PM.png
IMG_3882.jpeg
IMG_3887.jpeg
IMG_3883.jpeg
IMG_3905.jpeg

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's a lot of torque pushing against 3.5' of snow. That's more than 1 ton territory, and you added chains. Speed, torque, and no tire slippage, U joints and ears are always the weak link in a solid axle. If this is the intended purpose for your Roxor, I would upgrade your shafts to 30 spline.

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Now this video makes sense! I thought because I wasn't using it for mud and rock climbing that I would be safe ... So it is a Mahindra problem. That's like owning NorthFace Gore-Tex Jacket but no zippers to protect you. Frustrating, I just wish it didn't happen in the middle of major storms on it's 2nd day like it did, I was helping about 7 families with this beast and they were making it to work because of the capabilities of this Roxor

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I loved plowing snow with my Roxor but it was too much weight for the springs. Granted I was using an old school Meyer, it just did awesome plowing. It looks to me like a keeper came out and then you got out of alignment which snapped off your ear to the yolk. I’ve replaced u-joints and every time it is a tough fit because of the poor machine work for the axle-yolk. If you go with torque kings replacement I’ll bet you won’t have that problem again. I hope you get plowing again soon!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Add a selectable locker and upgrade the carrier to a 30 spline unit and run aftermarket axle shafts. That’s essentially what I did and I have had zero issues with the axles and u joints crawling in the rocks.

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
3.5 feet of snow seems like a lot for a tandem plow truck, let alone a roxor
I didn't know what was a lot for this beast because there were no telltale signs to go off of. In the V position the snow just divided before me like in the Old Testament with Moses parting the Red Sea. Moses doesn't question his faith due to what has happened before him. So, I made the mistake of using common sense and practical knowledge by not over working the transmission and switching it to low 4 wheel drive and moved slower and more deliberate. LOL, my neighbor in his Ford Ranger could smell his clutch burning and was struggling with his straight plow coming out of his garage. I opened his driveway up like it was butter making it easier for him to finish the sides. I stop and had coffee with him as we inspected under the hood and all underneath to see how it was doing and we didn't smell or see any signs of stress. His 2020 Ford Ranger was a different story. What were my signs to say that this was a lot? I got all my intel from this website including plowing videos from here showing folks plowing for miles ... what was my telltale signs? Somebody?

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I loved plowing snow with my Roxor but it was too much weight for the springs. Granted I was using an old school Meyer, it just did awesome plowing. It looks to me like a keeper came out and then you got out of alignment which snapped off your ear to the yolk. I’ve replaced u-joints and every time it is a tough fit because of the poor machine work for the axle-yolk. If you go with torque kings replacement I’ll bet you won’t have that problem again. I hope you get plowing again soon!
I was hoping that this would be covered by Mahindra, but why would I put crap back in only for it to happen again ... Torque Kings it is and free coffee for everyone! I appreciate that advice and I will not use low 4wheel for plowing above 3 feet. What gets me is that I have driven this for less than 10 hours and maybe 7 times total with 2 of those times for working purposes.

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That's a lot of torque pushing against 3.5' of snow. That's more than 1 ton territory, and you added chains. Speed, torque, and no tire slippage, U joints and ears are always the weak link in a solid axle. If this is the intended purpose for your Roxor, I would upgrade your shafts to 30 spline.
I don't understand Speed, because I was always moving slow and deliberate. I was afraid of ramming anything especially the unknown under the snow. That is what shocked my neighbor because he witnessed the entire usage of my vehicle. He had CJ's most of his life and his witnessed opinion was to upgrade and not get replacement parts. Frustrating ... I would not have purchased this vehicle if I had known for a fact that its equipment was totally inferior. I understand the old CJ days this is what you did for 4 wheeling, but I just wanted it for it's intended purposes and it has failed. It's too late now and I am all in, but I truly wish I had understood that these vehicles are inferior as the way they stand ...

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Swap the shafts to a 30 spline inner aftermarket chrome moly shaft and be done. It’ll fix the wobbly factory shafts. Do the same for the rears and get away from the two piece axle/hub set up. It’s only a taper and a key way held in by a nut that’s transmitting torque to the wheels. Once you upgrade that you’re pretty much bullet proof as far as the drivetrain goes. Keep in mind these vehicles are essentially 40’s era tech with regards to the drivetrain with exception to the engine.

Govey500 SweeperCar

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have Mile Markers (10 spine) that I have not installed, but this seems to be a happy upgrade. Yes? No?

DaveM

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My Big John Deere Snow Cab would have worked hard with 3.5 feet of snow LOL I live in Montana on a Mountain and we get that kind of snow each year. I have been told to never put chains on the front of any plow vehicle, way to much stress on everything and it really strains when steering. Its a lesson learned, don't think Id blame Mahindra .

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Like with any rig strengthing for intended purposes are needed. How often do you see these kids buy a wrangler or a new pickup and throw a lift and huge wheels on them to look awesome. All that without upgrading gears and components to handle the heavier load until they until they fail. Roxor is a beast and I love my 2020, I've built mine up for my intended purpose. This forum has aided in me building up mine. Roxor can be a solid machine for a well deserved Vet. Invest alittle and you will not be let down. Thanks for your service brother.