ooooooooooo

Pittsburgh Guy

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
20191118_074004.jpg

Bought my Roxor about 2 months ago. Leveled the front and put on 34s the day I bought it. Caged and locked the rear. I have a set of D60/D70 to go in with 39.5s. Going to enjoy it this way for the winter. Also working on adapting a D300 to the 5 speed.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Curious, why a D300? To get centered output? You lose effective clearence when you do this potentially removing some gain from the jump to 39s. In fact moving to 39/D70 might be a loss in ground clearance

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
D300 so I can clock it, 4:1 and opens up 231/300 doubler and Atlas transfer case options. Gotta swap axles and go deep into gearing to go to 39s. One ton is the most practical option. Be nice to go 9in with portals like Jesse Haines but out of my budget and the 60/70 axles are proven.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Proven yes, stronger yes, but the D70 is huge. I'd measure the pumpkin/tube and run the #s vs the Roxor axle. You may not be gaining any/much ground clearance for a ton of effort and $. If you increase the axle housing size, you are working against your tire size gains. If you center the axle, you are losing effective ground clearance too, as now 2/3 of your frontal area has less clearance rather than 1/3. Dual offset pumpkins, gives you that room back so you can bias rocks towards the drivers side well away from your diffs and 2/3 of your front track is actually clear - if that makes sense

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Also remember, moving from 34s to 39s, you only gain ~2.5" of ground clearance. You might lose .5" to the new hoss tube of the D70, and another 1.75" to the housing hanging lower. All this for like a .25" isn't worth it. This would also mean that the effective ground clearance below the axles would be less with 39s and tons than 34s and "D44s" - since you converted to centered rear diff.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If I was making a rig on 40s, I'd just buy a gasser Dodge and take a hacksaw to it lol. You'd have about $1200 + tires in it lol

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've owned a few 40" tire rigs. Jeep XJ and Jeep YJ. My reasoning behind the Roxor is it's different, it's not a Jeep, living in Western PA and finding a rust free Jeep with a frame for $10,000 is near impossible, it's rust free and brand new... etc... the little diesel is a fun motor. I'm tired of building off of junk. I'm building my solid, reliable, keeper rig. Something that if I maintain will give me years of enjoyment with my family. I originally was looking at JKs but for the $15k I paid for my Roxor would get me a 150k mile, slightly rusty 2 door JK with the problematic 3.8. I found a few for $10k but where 3 or 4 hours away. Besides building something that not many people have is worth the extra work.

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm doing the 60/70 for strength and width. We do a lot of rocks and the extra tire height will help with climbing ledges. I stay as far away from mud as possible. Ideally I'd love a set of 9's and 37" BFG Red labels. But that's a lot of money lol. I'd even settle for a set of Wagoneer width D44s and 37s. But with the D44s I have to buy alloy axles and gears. With the 60/70 the stock 35 spline shafts will be more than sufficient.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just don't like the beefy axles and huge tires on smaller rigs. They don't last. The steering and brake systems are never up for the task, and the gains just never pan out until you dump mega $$ into it, basically saying you prolly should went bigger rig in the first place.

I do totally understand the lipstick on a rust bucket problem tho.. catch22

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice rig. I'm going to those trails in a few wknds. Looks like a ton of fun.