ooooooooooo

Non Resident Use of Street Legal Roxor in Your State

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll propose a thread covering what is and isn't allowed to use your Roxor in each state. I have a dream. That dream is to operate as much as I can across the US. Simple enough right?

All has to do what the vehicle is classified, titled and licensed. The Roxor already has most of the equipment required for on road use but let me list them:

2 headlights
2 tail lights
2 brake lights
2 reverse lights
horn
seat belts
brake at each wheel
DOT tires
spark arrestor/muffler

If you remove any of these items, well that's on you. Just know the Roxor comes packed with road worthiness

What it doesn't have but may be required by state:

license plate light
Windshield DOT glass
Turn signals
4 way flashers
windshield wipers
windshield wash

Special note (*), Roxor is speed limited at 45 and 55. I don't know why because a X3 and RZR can go above those speeds. I don't think I need to mention you may want to do this mod asap. I didn't do this, but either cutting a wire or unplug the speedo will give you speedy results. I recommend the ECU flash even though it's way over priced. Asterisk denotes minimum speed required.

Arizona:

Probably the most friendly UTV state in the US. On freeway use I did my research in depth. Even called DPS and State AG office. There's a difference between asking Carmen from MVD (DMV) or call and talk to a DPS trooper. DPS is who enforces the laws. Not going to even try ADOT (Arizona DOT/MVD). ADOT/MVD will issue title and registration for a Roxor. It will be a full VLT (vehicle license tax) paid, as any passenger vehicle because it weighs over 1800 lbs. So if you are in AZ and they didn't do this, they messed up. The plate will have "MC" and not "RV", the difference between a "street use" and "OHV" use vehicle although you can use a RV one with limitations. I can even get a veteran plate or whatever specialty plate you can get for a motorcycle.

You will have to sign off an affidavit saying you have the required equipment and there is no inspection. Only bare bones thing by the state requirement is a license plate light. Windshield, well apparently this is by opinion of the cops. One ARS says you must, another kinda suggest windshield or goggles. There doesn't seem to be consistency on this issue. One addresses golf cart and a cop can lump a UTV into that. The other is UTV/ATV/MC either wind screen or goggles. The trooper I called said goggles. A local cop says windshield/screen. Just get the dang windshield. Doesn't even have to be glass. My insurance is through State Farm and it's covered as they basically covered my RZR, full coverage at $308 a year. Insurance companies will cover whatever you want as long as you pay. They don't differentiate on or off road vehicles.

Out of staters, we get a lot. I'm not a DPS officer and generally most won't even know what to tell you. I spoke to a few and of the four one had an answer after she Googled Mahindra Roxor. I had a question about freeway use. She did mention DOT tires off the bat so for other UTV's they'll hone right on to that. I'm sure the Roxor they would barely bat an eye thinking it's a CJ. From what I understood, vehicle must display registration, required sequipment, insurance, under 18 with a helmet (that's new law and quite hasn't been enforced yet). Here's a quick cut and pasted for AZ State Parks

NON-RESIDENT VEHICLE REGISTRATION and OHV DECAL: Whether an off-highway vehicle (OHV) operator is legal to operate an OHV in Arizona depends on their home state. If the machine follows the OHV registration/insurance and sticker requirements of the operator’s home state, it may be operated in Arizona for 30 consecutive days. The operator does not need an Arizona title plate, Arizona registration plate or OHV decal to ride on unmaintained, existing, open, authorized routes on public lands in Arizona. You must abide by Arizona laws, rules, and regulations of course. For example, if you ride on State Trust Land you will need a permit from the Arizona State Land Department.

So what does that mean? If you come from OR and don't have a plate or sticker to display, that's a no-no. CA with your sticker, probably a no-no. But AZ will gladly take your money if you want to register it here. You don't need a AZ residency requirement to do this. 3rd party MVD offices are open 7 days a week. The reciprocity is a tad ambiguous. But if you have a tiny plate from ID, MT, UT, SD, etc., you are good to go here.

So here's AZ rundown:

Restricted/motorcycle plate:Y
Full size plate: N
Highway: Y
Freeway: Y*
Liability insurance: Y

Required additional equipment:
License plate light
Windscreen or goggles

Notice no turn signals required? Better get that arm out and quit waving at other Jeeps. Screw them anyways because half of them bad mouth our Roxors anyways. It's much easier with turn signals. So I made some up for about $50 my cost.

I hope we can pass this thread around and get Roxor specific use in each state. Like how AZ we pay full VLT with a "MC" plate and can't do the lower amount "RV" plate like most UTV's do. But that's OK because I use my Roxor as a daily driver anyways. I know UT is OK with AZ UTV but no freeway, must have turn signals stay out of Salt Lake County, and seat can't be higher than 40"?? I measured 36 ish. Not much room left but let's find that one UT cop whip out a tape measurer. So it's good to know I can cover all of AZ and UT.

https://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2015/04/Street-Legal-ATV-Requirements.pdf

Last edited:

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Fantastic write-up. Thanks.
Thanks. Do you live on the free side of the River? Or behind enemy lines? Any word on what CA is going to do or do you know where CHP stands on this? If I could, I'd like to venture into CA desert areas. Funny how Guatemalan plated Mahindra or Mexican plated Hilux diesel is OK to operate in CA as a non resident but not a AZ plated Roxor.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll propose a thread covering what is and isn't allowed to use your Roxor in each state. I have a dream. That dream is to operate as much as I can across the US. Simple enough right?

All has to do what the vehicle is classified, titled and licensed. The Roxor already has most of the equipment required for on road use but let me list them:

2 headlights
2 tail lights
2 brake lights
2 reverse lights
horn
seat belts
brake at each wheel
DOT tires
spark arrestor/muffler

If you remove any of these items, well that's on you. Just know the Roxor comes packed with road worthiness

license plate light
Windshield DOT glass
Turn signals
4 way flashers
windshield wipers
windshield wash

Special note (*), Roxor is speed limited at 45 and 55. I don't know why because a X3 and RZR can go above those speeds. I don't think I need to mention you may want to do this mod asap. I didn't do this, but either cutting a wire or unplug the speedo will give you speedy results. I recommend the ECU flash even though it's way over priced. Asterisk denotes minimum speed required.

Arizona:

Probably the most friendly UTV state in the US. On freeway use I did my research in depth. Even called DPS and State AG office. There's a difference between asking Carmen from MVD (DMV) or call and talk to a DPS trooper. DPS is who enforces the laws. Not going to even try ADOT (Arizona DOT/MVD). ADOT/MVD will issue title and registration for a Roxor. It will be a full VLT (vehicle license tax) paid, as any passenger vehicle because it weighs over 1800 lbs. So if you are in AZ and they didn't do this, they messed up. The plate will have "MC" and not "RV", the difference between a "street use" and "OHV" use vehicle although you can use a RV one with limitations. I can even get a veteran plate or whatever specialty plate you can get for a motorcycle.

You will have to sign off an affidavit saying you have the required equipment and there is no inspection. Only bare bones thing by the state requirement is a license plate light. Windshield, well apparently this is by opinion of the cops. One ARS says you must, another kinda suggest windshield or goggles. There doesn't seem to be consistency on this issue. One addresses golf cart and a cop can lump a UTV into that. The other is UTV/ATV/MC either wind screen or goggles. The trooper I called said goggles. A local cop says windshield/screen. Just get the dang windshield. Doesn't even have to be glass. My insurance is through State Farm and it's covered as they basically covered my RZR, full coverage at $308 a year. Insurance companies will cover whatever you want as long as you pay. They don't differentiate on or off road vehicles.

Out of staters, we get a lot. I'm not a DPS officer and generally most won't even know what to tell you. I spoke to a few and of the four one had an answer after she Googled Mahindra Roxor. I had a question about freeway use. She did mention DOT tires off the bat so for other UTV's they'll hone right on to that. I'm sure the Roxor they would barely bat an eye thinking it's a CJ. From what I understood, vehicle must display registration, required sequipment, insurance, under 18 with a helmet (that's new law and quite hasn't been enforced yet). Here's a quick cut and pasted for AZ State Parks

NON-RESIDENT VEHICLE REGISTRATION and OHV DECAL: Whether an off-highway vehicle (OHV) operator is legal to operate an OHV in Arizona depends on their home state. If the machine follows the OHV registration/insurance and sticker requirements of the operator’s home state, it may be operated in Arizona for 30 consecutive days. The operator does not need an Arizona title plate, Arizona registration plate or OHV decal to ride on unmaintained, existing, open, authorized routes on public lands in Arizona. You must abide by Arizona laws, rules, and regulations of course. For example, if you ride on State Trust Land you will need a permit from the Arizona State Land Department.

So what does that mean? If you come from OR and don't have a plate or sticker to display, that's a no-no. CA with your sticker, probably a no-no. But AZ will gladly take your money if you want to register it here. You don't need a AZ residency requirement to do this. 3rd party MVD offices are open 7 days a week. The reciprocity is a tad ambiguous. But if you have a tiny plate from ID, MT, UT, SD, etc., you are good to go here.

So here's AZ rundown:

License plate light
Windscreen or goggles

Notice no turn signals required? Better get that arm out and quit waving at other Jeeps. Screw them anyways because half of them bad mouth our Roxors anyways. It's much easier with turn signals. So I made some up for about $50 my cost.

I hope we can pass this thread around and get Roxor specific use in each state. Like how AZ we pay full VLT with a "MC" plate and can't do the lower amount "RV" plate like most UTV's do. But that's OK because I use my Roxor as a daily driver anyways. I know UT is OK with AZ UTV but no freeway, must have turn signals stay out of Salt Lake County, and seat can't be higher than 40"?? I measured 36 ish. Not much room left but let's find that one UT cop whip out a tape measurer. So it's good to know I can cover all of AZ and UT.

https://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2015/04/Street-Legal-ATV-Requirements.pdf
Do you know the rules on Minnesota?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Here’s Texas:
TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 663. CERTAIN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES

(d) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:

(1) the transportation is in connection with:

(A) the production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or

(B) utility work performed by a utility;

(2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle on top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;

(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;

(4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001;

(5) the operation of the vehicle occurs in the daytime; and

(6) the operation of the vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.

(d-1) Provisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not apply to Subsection (d).

(e) The director of the Department of Public Safety shall adopt standards and specifications that apply to the color, size, and mounting position of the flag required under Subsections (d)(2) and (g)(2).

(f) Except as provided by Subsection (g), this section does not apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle that is owned by the state, a county, or a municipality by a person who is an authorized operator of the vehicle.

Text of subsection as amended by Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 125 (H.B. 920), Sec. 1”

And here’s more on the definition of ag products:
AGRICULTURE CODE CHAPTER 52. COOPERATIVE MARKETING ASSOCIATIONS

Sec. 52.002. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Agricultural products" includes horticultural, viticultural, forestry, dairy, livestock, poultry, and bee products and any farm and ranch product.

(2) "Marketing association" means an association organized under this chapter.

(3) "Member" includes a member of an association organized under this chapter without capital stock and a holder of common stock of an association organized under this chapter with capital stock.

Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1103, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981.“

Read into it how you will. It’s a very broad definition. I myself operate under this exemption but I also have an ag tax ID number and my property has an ag valuation (ag exempt) for property taxes. Should I have it go to court I will have that as supporting documentation.

Full size plates at this time are a grey area. They’ve been done before and they’ve also been blocked.

northshoreiver

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

2 headlights
2 tail lights
2 brake lights
2 reverse lights
horn
seat belts
brake at each wheel
DOT tires
spark arrestor/muffler

license plate light
Windshield DOT glass
Turn signals
4 way flashers
windshield wipers
windshield wash

Arizona:

So here's AZ rundown:

no serial #s
License plate light
Windscreen or goggles

Thanks and well done. I am starting the process in Minnesota. Went thru similar drill when doing a CJ2A frame off restoration without title and serial #'s, but did get it done in time.... later