ooooooooooo

Lift Shackles

DAMCars

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm finally doing my front shackles this weekend. What should be torque the bolts to? Thx

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm finally doing my front shackles this weekend. What should be torque the bolts to? Thx

Good and snug lol.... Im not sure what the factory recommended spec is but for Jeeps it’s normally around 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So, If I add the front Shackles (I already have your fronts) and the rear shackles can I still add an "add a leaf" to the front?
1. Any concerns with doing this type of lift, or would you even recommend this?
2. If so what else would I need to do it? Shims etc.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had a few people do it already. It worked without issue with a total of about 2.5 inches of lift after the springs settled.... but you will need longer brake lines. Especially if removing the sway bar.

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks that what I thought, where's the best place to get the extended brake lines?
search the treads. one guy figured out that break lines form a Honda. don't remember which one. worked great. and available over the counter.

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got the front shackles from you. Thanks Max A. Great work. They most certainly lift the front a decent amount and level the roxor nicely.
For those ordering the front shackles. None of these are big issues but people need to be aware of them. This changes the steering geometry. If all you are doing is running around the property or just off road only it is an absolutely satisfactory lift.
***be aware that this will make your roxor NOT flat-towable***
The front wheels will no longer track properly when flat towing. Not a huge deal if you off road only. It will also wash out the steering and make the front suspension squishy. Once again if all you do is slow off road use these front shackles are totally fine. I am in South Texas though with some off road and some 70 mph highway. Using the lift shackles will seriously degrade on-road use.

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Got the front shackles from you. Thanks Max A. Great work. They most certainly lift the front a decent amount and level the roxor nicely.
For those ordering the front shackles. None of these are big issues but people need to be aware of them. This changes the steering geometry. If all you are doing is running around the property or just off road only it is an absolutely satisfactory lift.
***be aware that this will make your roxor NOT flat-towable***
The front wheels will no longer track properly when flat towing. Not a huge deal if you off road only. It will also wash out the steering and make the front suspension squishy. Once again if all you do is slow off road use these front shackles are totally fine. I am in South Texas though with some off road and some 70 mph highway. Using the lift shackles will seriously degrade on-road use.
I added Max A.'s front and rear along with Pro Comp 2.5 inch AAL, and I agree about the steering geometry, it did throw my steering off by about a qtr turn, but was easily remedied by adjusting the steering underneath. As far as not being able to drive Hwy speeds, I didn't notice that at all. I have driven it up to 70+ mph without any feeling of wash out or squishy feeling, in fact its even stiffer than from the factory. However, I also did the 2.5 inch Pro Comp AAL at the same time as the Shackles, which may be why mine feels the same or stiffer!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anytime you lift a vehicle the weight is raised and that will affect the road feel weather is a a shackle lift spring lift or any combination. The weight is higher, raising the center of gravity. Shackles also put more leverage on the spring making the spring rate a little softer feeling. That is why you see long shackles on desert trucks. Some are over a foot long and mounted on top of the frame to get maximum length for longer travel springs.

As far as the flat towing I think that there may be another issues. I know for a fact that I have sold a set to at least 2 roxors that are flat towed and they too were conceded about caster as well but reported not noticing any difference even with 33 inch tires. One said that it was fine until they put wheel spacers on and it felt like it was scrubbing around sharp turns but that is an effect of moving the pivot point out from the center of the wheel.
The caster on my Roxor is right at 3* and goes down the highway just fine. There are many leaf spring vehicle that have factory specs of less caster angle then that. Heck Scouts had zero caster from the factory. I’m curious as to what is causing the wheels to wander. As of right now have sold 82 sets without a single issue reported back. Shoot me a pm and I’ll get you taken care of.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Check out this video. 4 days at hatfield this past weekend with a KRX and a Talon 1000. With the shackles and 33 inch tires aired down to 12psi it rode great even at the speeds we were moving.

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I added Max A.'s front and rear along with Pro Comp 2.5 inch AAL, and I agree about the steering geometry, it did throw my steering off by about a qtr turn, but was easily remedied by adjusting the steering underneath. As far as not being able to drive Hwy speeds, I didn't notice that at all. I have driven it up to 70+ mph without any feeling of wash out or squishy feeling, in fact its even stiffer than from the factory. However, I also did the 2.5 inch Pro Comp AAL at the same time as the Shackles, which may be why mine feels the same or stiffer!
Must be the add a leaf making it more stable. I only added the shackles. Not hating it at all, just letting others know what to expect.

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anytime you lift a vehicle the weight is raised and that will affect the road feel weather is a a shackle lift spring lift or any combination. The weight is higher, raising the center of gravity. Shackles also put more leverage on the spring making the spring rate a little softer feeling. That is why you see long shackles on desert trucks. Some are over a foot long and mounted on top of the frame to get maximum length for longer travel springs.

As far as the flat towing I think that there may be another issues. I know for a fact that I have sold a set to at least 2 roxors that are flat towed and they too were conceded about caster as well but reported not noticing any difference even with 33 inch tires. One said that it was fine until they put wheel spacers on and it felt like it was scrubbing around sharp turns but that is an effect of moving the pivot point out from the center of the wheel.
The caster on my Roxor is right at 3* and goes down the highway just fine. There are many leaf spring vehicle that have factory specs of less caster angle then that. Heck Scouts had zero caster from the factory. I’m curious as to what is causing the wheels to wander. As of right now have sold 82 sets without a single issue reported back. Shoot me a pm and I’ll get you taken care of.

You are correct. I also have 1.5 inch spacers and it does as described. I'm not unhappy at all. Just was posting my experience.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’m not reinventing the wheel here. Shackle lifts have been around as long as there has been leaf springs. I had a set of YJ shackles on my roxor and after drilling out the holes to work I did notice a handling difference due to their length. I made these shackles to be right at the sweet spot. Maximum lift without effecting handling. It’s a $45 dollar way to get 33s under your roxor and go have fun with some added traction and ground clearance.... looks cool too .

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ive read through this thread a couple of times and am wondering if what Ive bought is going to work like I want. Before I saw this option, I ordered the Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit. It raises the front 2.5" and does nothing for the rear. I have not had a chance to install it yet, but based on the info for these shackles, it looks like I may end up with the front higher than the rear.
Does anyone have any advice on this setup? Should I consider raising the rear and inch? I have a set of 285 75 16 tires that I am installing also.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I do have a set of shackles to raise the rear slightly.

I had a lot of people ask about adding a little to the rear after doing a leveling kit. Mostly with the OTR shackle reversal. Roxors will sit pretty much level with any of the kits, but as soon as you put any load on it it will squat in the rear. That is the reason trucks or any other utility use vehicle come higher in the rear. When loaded it sits level as designed.

With a leveling kit you sit level unloaded and then you squat with any weight added. The one inch rear shackle is just enough to bump the rear up and negate the squatty overloaded look.

This is a roxor with a OTR 2.5 leveling kit with my one inch lift shackle in the rear. I think it sits perfect with no load and level loaded.

$45 part. Why not right?

379c7f65501af1939ceaee9a4aa7aac0.jpg
6de1ded202b2f9a4c717627266bb351a.jpg

Last edited: