ooooooooooo

Ignition Wire Color ID

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I apologize up front if this has been resolved. Please show me the thread that has addressed this if it has.
I found a simple 4 wire keyed ignition switch on Amazon. It uses GM keys. I thought it would be easier to make copies.
Does anyone know the colors of the OEM Roxor ignition wires?
There are 4. One Red, One Brown, One Yellow, and the last one is primarily White with a Red Stripe. Any help identifying which is the starter, acc, 12v always On, and ground?
Thanks in advance
Chris

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I apologize up front if this has been resolved. Please show me the thread that has addressed this if it has.
I found a simple 4 wire keyed ignition switch on Amazon. It uses GM keys. I thought it would be easier to make copies.
Does anyone know the colors of the OEM Roxor ignition wires?
There are 4. One Red, One Brown, One Yellow, and the last one is primarily White with a Red Stripe. Any help identifying which is the starter, acc, 12v always On, and ground?
Thanks in advance
Chris
Chris,
I haven't seen this specific project addressed before on the forum. However, this post has the wiring diagrams that should help you out. If I get some time this evening, I will look through it and see if I can help identify the wire colors.

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Chris,
I haven't seen this specific project addressed before on the forum. However, this post has the wiring diagrams that should help you out. If I get some time this evening, I will look through it and see if I can help identify the wire colors.

Thank you! I have downloaded your wiring diagrams. They're Awesome. After searching them, it does have the routing to and from the electrical parts. I did not see the color of wires used with the diagrams. It is awesome that you added such a valuable manual for everyone on the site. Thanks again!
I'll probably figure it out with a small 12v battery (motorcycle) and a multimeter.
Don't stress about it too much. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks again, Chris

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you! I have downloaded your wiring diagrams. They're Awesome. After searching them, it does have the routing to and from the electrical parts. I did not see the color of wires used with the diagrams. It is awesome that you added such a valuable manual for everyone on the site. Thanks again!
I'll probably figure it out with a small 12v battery (motorcycle) and a multimeter.
Don't stress about it too much. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks again, Chris
I appreciate your kind words, but another member (Colderweather) deserves the credit for posting the wiring diagrams. I just remembered they were on here and provided the link.
I did look on the schematics last night and saw that one of the pages (I think it was 18) shows the switch and the plug going to it. The wire colors did not match the ones you referenced in your original post though. What year is your Roxor? They may have changed colors over the model years. At least you may be able to use an ohm meter and do some point-to-point checks and figure it out using the schematic.

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for looking into this. I purchased the AW Red Roxor last month. It was sold from a dealer as a 2022. Most of the part dates are 2019-2021. A little surface rust here and there. We think it was stored during the time of the injunction from Chrysler. Can't prove it but makes sense.
I attached a photo of the OEM ignition switch. The replacement (GM keyed) has 4 posts labeled for ACC, STR, BAT, and IGN. I read pg 18 and was trying to figure the colors' id. What is an L color?
Again thanks and when you have the time, take a glance at the photo.
Chris

20231015_003629.jpg

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I did a little investigating for you today on my 2019. Pulled the switch out and looked at the wiring. Below is how it appears to be wired and this is supported by pages 18 & 25 in the wiring manual.

Pin 1- Yellow: Battery Power to Switch (Page 18)
Pin 2- Black: Run Power to Various Circuits through Splice 42 (Page 18)
Pin 3- White w/Green Stripe: Run & Accessory Power to Various Circuits through Splice 147 (Page 18)
Pin 4- White w/Yellow Stripe: Run Power to Gauge Cluster (Page 25)

Hope this helps.

Ignition Switch Plug 1.jpg Ignition Switch Plug 2.jpg Ignition Switch Plug 3.jpg

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks Grump,
They have made some changes in the different years. As you saw the "2022" ignition has thicker wires with different colors. Also it didn't have a connector, at least not that easily accessible. I'll look deeper into the void of the dash and see if there is a connector. I'll let everyone know what I find out so if someone wants to rekey their ignition with a GM type key, they can benefit from our efforts. Thanks again!

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Why not just replace it with another OEM style switch? They're only about $25 with keys.
I'm changing the hard to find and expensive roxor key to a GM style keyed ignition. GM key blanks can be found at Wally World and even automatic key making kiosks. I'm making it easier to make multiple keys for everyone who drives it.
Good question though. If I only wanted 2 keys an OEM replacement would make sense.

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So, I have figured out the four wires on the OEM ignition switch. And I have successfully installed an aftermarket GM keyed ignition switch (4 wire) from Amazon.
On the Roxor, the Red wire is BATT (Always on). The White w/red stripe is ignition (not starter, just powers 12v circuit). Yellow is ACC. With the OEM Roxor switch, the IGN and ACC are activated with the first turn of the key. When you move the key to the start position, the BATT (RED), IGN (WHITE/RED STRIPE), and Starter (BROWN), wires all combine to start the Roxor.
Be advised when the key is moved to the start position, the ACC (YELLOW wire) deactivates. Once started the ACC (yellow wire) is back to the on position and the (BROWN STARTER wire) is off. This allows the ACC wire to power the radio, lights, and other added accessories.
The IGN, (white with red stripe), BATT, (solid red), and the STARTER wire, (brown), are all connected when the key is turned to "start" position. After it starts, the IGN, BATT and ACC will all be connect inside the switch to keep your Roxor running with all the added accessories. If anyone is interested in the switch I used or have any questions (I get long winded), just contact me and I'll be happy to help you upgrade the ignition switch.
Chris

Barnboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Have any pictures and links? I really don't have an issue with the current setup but I'm curious. I did take the rubber element resistant cap off my key. Way to much bulk in the pocket

ccross

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Sure. The thinner key and options for copies was worth it. The keyed ignition was less than $25. I'm not advertising for anyone, I am discussing what part from Ama zon I used in my ignition switch project:

Dolphin Gauges XOVY GM Style Key​

I will send pics with diagram in a few days. Once I knew what each wire did, it was easy to swap in the new switch.