ooooooooooo

Front KYG shocks

928dennis

I found this part number that will work with a stock setup and the Rough Country kit. Part# 5473 Gas Adjust 77.00 a pair from Shock Warehouse shipped. Not sure they will do much for a stock roxor since there in no front travel to began with, so to speak.

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Did you try them or is it a part you figured out will work. I like figuring out alternative parts that are not so overpriced. Trying to order a brake line and all I can find it the extended lines and with shipping to Alaska I am gong to be out almost $180.00. Got me thinking I might as well order a damn lift kit while I am at it.

Last edited:

928dennis

I measured the stock shock compressed and extended and went to the KYB fitment page. Found one in that range that had a extended lenght 1" longer but the same compressed length. The number I posted is the one.They work great.I will post a part number for the rear, I have the measurements for the stock rear, will do that tonight,. Also looking at steering stabilizers,

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Shock warehouse showes that shock for $38.00 and its for a: KYB Gas-a-Just Nissan D21, Frontier, Pickup rear KG5473. LOL. Looks like most auto outlets carry it from $38-$80.00 ea.

BDRAG

928dennis

As it turns out you can use the KYB 5473 on the rear also, the rear compressed is 12 1/2" extended 20.5. There is another # that will work 5445 12.97 compressed and extended 20.59. since the shock works with less then a 1 to 1 travel ratio both of those shocks will work.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
As it turns out you can use the KYB 5473 on the rear also, the rear compressed is 12 1/2" extended 20.5. There is another # that will work 5445 12.97 compressed and extended 20.59. since the shock works with less then a 1 to 1 travel ratio both of those shocks will work.
Hey 928dennis,

I just took a shot at some Monroe 59001 shocks from Advanced Auto. I had a 25% off code. They are spose to have 19.5 extended and 12 in compressed with 7.5 travel. I am a long time fan of Monroe gas shocks. Life time warranty. Shipped with tax $97.00 Hope like hell they work. I do not do any serious crawling. I do have a 1.5 front lift and 1 inch rear. Fingers crossed. Lol.

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Well the rears are within 3/8 of an inch of OEM extended out. I'm ok with that but the fronts are 3/4 shorter than OEM. ERRRRRRRR!

I think I'm fine since I use the sway bar. I only paid $23 each. Lol. I'll drive it and see if I'm screwed in the front. I'm gonna look again at the chart. The compressed shock diminsions are not real critical front cause it can only move up or collapse 2 inches before it impacts the stops.

BDRAG

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just run the rears on the front as well. Problem solved.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Just run the rears on the front as well. Problem solved.
Tx,

I went ahead and found another cheap Monroe that is 21-5/8 extended and 13-5/8 collapsed. 8 inches of travel. That puts it at 1-1/8" longer than the OEM I removed. With the 1-1/2 lift that will give me most of my articulation I had if I had not lifted. Again, I'm not removing the sway bar and the thing can only collapse 2 or 3 inches before it hits bump stops.
And I found a coupon for 25% off. So the 2 new shocks only cost me $35 bucks shipped. Lol. I'll take one pair back.

I drove it around the block and hit the alley entrance to my alley at speed. 25 or so. It usually rocks and then slaps back. This time it just did a gentle wiggle. I mean way less violent by 50-60%. No bucking.

I had a squeak. I lubed the chassis stuff. Still had some squeak. While it was on the rack I pushed up and down on the chassis and the noise was coming from the shock. Put the new ones on. No squeak. I compressed the removed shock and it squeaked and squeeled the length as it collapsed and when I would extend it. Cheap pos. Lol.

So when done I'll have $80.00 in a set of decent gas shocks. Lol. I ain't spending $400-$500 on shocks. Lol.

BDRAG.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nah. It’s hitting well north of us. wont even get any real Good rainfall out if it.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Nah. It’s hitting well north of us. wont even get any real Good rainfall out if it.
What a PAIN in THE ASS! I ordered another Monroe shock for the front that is 1-1/8" longer than the OEM shock. So it should take care of any over extension of the shock with my 1-1/2 shackle lift. Its a Monroe 59585 from Advanced Auto Parts. It is 13-5/8 compressed, 21-5/8 extended and has 8 inches of travel. Its also about 1/4 inch larger in dia. than the OEM shock. Should clear. Tried to look the shock up on Monroes web site but it only comes up on Advanceds site???

The PAIN was the hole in the rubber for the mounting bolt has a steel bushing in it. This bushing is to small. The bushing o.d. is the same size as the Roxor studs. So press them out right? Buzzzer sound! Press them out and the rubber closes down to like 1/8 inch. CRAP! So I had to drag the new shocks and the old shocks to work, a machine shop, and press both shocks rubber bushing out in an arbor press. Then press in the OEM Roxor shock bushings into the new Monroe. It worked fine. Now to install tonight. LOL!

BDRAG

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
928Dennis,

Thanks for posting these part numbers. I am going to try out a set of four of these. For anyone interested, KYB is running a $25 rebate for the rest of September. I just purchased a set of four for $32 apiece plus $8 shipping from Autopartskart. They also had the WIX 51068 filter that is referenced as a probable replacement, so I grabbed a couple of those for $5 each as well.

I thought anyone on the fence might want to know about the rebate (kyb.com/save).

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am trying those KYB 5473s on all 4 corners. I'm at stock height in the rear and a 2 inch shackle in the front.
Did you need any special tools to fit those bushings in or they match the roxors existing fittings?

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
They matched all the fittings. It was pretty easy to attach the top or the bottom and then cut the strap. They don't expand that fast, so I was able to get them on the other post while they were moving (have someone else cut the strap). If you miss it, you can re-compress with a ratchet strap easily. Very easy install, although mine is stock all the way around, so I can't comment on whether the front shackle affects things.

Good luck!