ooooooooooo

Flat Tow Problem Update

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In case others have the same issue...a few months back I posted on the warn hub install thread about an issue I had while trying to flat tow. I had installed warn hubs so I could flat tow but noticed a weird issue. Hub operation worked just fine, front driveshaft was free to turn when unlocked and in 2H. When I went to flat tow, I unlocked the hubs, put the transfer case in N and the transmission in 1st per Mahindra. When I started pulling forward both driveshafts were spinning, which the front should not have been. A lot of you offered some great ideas or suggestions but it still seemed off. I tested a full speed flat tow and once I got above 35mph I got an incredibly loud metallic howling sound, which wasn’t right of course. A few months pass and I wanted to tow it again so I disconnect the rear driveshaft and it tows perfectly fine. With it disconnected I could determine that when I shift the transfer case into N, it locks both driveshafts together rather than the opposite, thus something is not disengaging correctly. That of course was a bigger problem than I had hoped so I towed it to my dealer who has it now for warranty repair. Just wanted to keep everyone up to date and will update further when I hear back from the dealer.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
After being in the shop for three weeks, the dealer confirmed what some of you stated about flat towing. The transfer case only has two options, driveshafts unlocked (2H) and locked (4H/4L), there is no true neutral. When you shift the transfer case from 2H to N, it locks the driveshafts together. With those driveshafts locked together in neutral, both the front and rear spin together, obviously. This is super disappointing to confirm because it essentially means I cannot flat tow, which was a huge reason why I bought this. I know some of you flat tow successfully but my unit doesn't like to. When I flat tow, my Roxor makes a loud metallic howling sound about 35MPH and the dealer and Mahindra says nothing is wrong with it. They both recommend I disconnect the rear driveshaft, which is a HUGE pain in the ass. Very disappointed. If anyone has any more ideas or info, I'd love to hear it.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
After being in the shop for three weeks, the dealer confirmed what some of you stated about flat towing. The transfer case only has two options, driveshafts unlocked (2H) and locked (4H/4L), there is no true neutral. When you shift the transfer case from 2H to N, it locks the driveshafts together. With those driveshafts locked together in neutral, both the front and rear spin together, obviously. This is super disappointing to confirm because it essentially means I cannot flat tow, which was a huge reason why I bought this. I know some of you flat tow successfully but my unit doesn't like to. When I flat tow, my Roxor makes a loud metallic howling sound about 35MPH and the dealer and Mahindra says nothing is wrong with it. They both recommend I disconnect the rear driveshaft, which is a HUGE pain in the ass. Very disappointed. If anyone has any more ideas or info, I'd love to hear it.

Well I don't get the metallic sounds. I have towed over 2000 miles to date. More towed miles than driven miles! Lol. I looked at this as an option. There are many types that do the same thing. Lots of RV folks use these. The only draw back I see is how reliable is it when pounding it off road or in a rocky area.
1605880596691.png

Coupling

BDRAG

1605880596691.png

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just received my rock sore and put it in my garage. I am very interested in flat towing the vehicle behind my small diesel truck. Has there been any more discoveries from anyone regarding what Collin has been referring to as the howling noise above 35 miles an hour. The previous owner had Warn hubs put on the front and nothing else done like lockers or lunchboxes or any of that stuff. I am debating on whether I should put money into a trailer or try to put together a Smitty built towbar and see what happens. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated. I only drove it from the transport truck to my garage but I love it.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just received my rock sore and put it in my garage. I am very interested in flat towing the vehicle behind my small diesel truck. Has there been any more discoveries from anyone regarding what Collin has been referring to as the howling noise above 35 miles an hour. The previous owner had Warn hubs put on the front and nothing else done like lockers or lunchboxes or any of that stuff. I am debating on whether I should put money into a trailer or try to put together a Smitty built towbar and see what happens. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated. I only drove it from the transport truck to my garage but I love it.

I’m still not sure what’s up with mine but it does tow really easily, minus that sound. It seems that as I tow more and more the sounds has been getting less and less. There’s no binding and nothing seems like it’s getting messed up. I’m going to continue to tow per manufacturer specs as it’s just an absolute pain to remove the driveshaft. All has been good thus far. I’d give flat towing a try since it’s so cheap to set up and so easy to do.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok, I’ll give it a try. I will let you and the Forum know what happens. I went ahead and purchased the HF Haul Master tow bar and the Magnetically attachable trailer lights too. Haven’t yet taken them out of the box. Did you have any mods or adaptations required to attach? There are the two little red U shaped hook on points on mounts on the bumper. It is not a stock bumper but rather the short upgraded one. If it’s not easy I’ll have to be writing a check as my mechanical skills skipped my generation.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok, I’ll give it a try. I will let you and the Forum know what happens. I went ahead and purchased the HF Haul Master tow bar and the Magnetically attachable trailer lights too. Haven’t yet taken them out of the box. Did you have any mods or adaptations required to attach? There are the two little red U shaped hook on points on mounts on the bumper. It is not a stock bumper but rather the short upgraded one. If it’s not easy I’ll have to be writing a check as my mechanical skills skipped my generation.
Glad you’re going to try it. It really does tow easily. Just remember open hubs, trans in 1st and transfer case in neutral. I use the same magnetic lights too. For the attachment on the bumper, I added d rings that mount through the bumper to the frame. Just make sure they attach to the frame mounts and not just the bumper.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Glad you’re going to try it. It really does tow easily. Just remember open hubs, trans in 1st and transfer case in neutral. I use the same magnetic lights too. For the attachment on the bumper, I added d rings that mount through the bumper to the frame. Just make sure they attach to the frame mounts and not just the bumper.
Thanks for the tip and I will be sure to attach to frame mounts!

Roxor94

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
When I first bought my Roxor I flat towed making several round trips of 600 + miles with no issues. What I didn’t like about flat towing was I didn’t feel comfortable going past 65 mph. I tow with a 1500 Silverado that has plenty of power. I also would have an atv the back of the truck. No noise from my Roxor. What I didn’t like was braking. Sure, the roxor manual says do not tow past 55 mph, but even at those speeds braking with the extra weight is doable I just wanted something better.

I ended up buying an 18 foot car hauler that easily hauls the Roxor and atv and it also frees up bed space in my truck, without maxing out my weight ratings.

I feel much better better on the long hauls with the trailer set up. Plus if I have a Roxor breakdown I can still get it home.

This fall I had an issue with my trailer wiring so I did have to flat tow for a weekend trip. I drove home in wet conditions and while going through a turn about the Roxor slid to my right. I wasn’t expecting that since I was only gong that fast.

I like the option for flat towing, especially for short trips.

I prefer to trailer it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That makes perfect sense. I do not see myself needing to go faster than 65 since I am extremely retired and have nowhere to be at any particular time. As for the brake side of things, I have the GMC small diesel with both up-gunned brakes plus the tow-haul mode which works with the included Diesel engine brake quite seamlessly ?. I have a single axel trailer I have been pulling with loads totaling 3000 lbs (that’s including the rather stout trailer weight) with no problems over the last two years. I am very careful and allow a few car lengths above and beyond the “two second” following guidelines.i will keep the group informed if this doesn’t work out the way I’ve planned.