ooooooooooo

FCA looking to block Mahindra

Tokarev

Where we at almost a year later? Either nothing has been decided or MANA has been given the green light. Which is it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The wheels of justice grind slow. I am of the opinion Mahindra knew exactly what they were getting into. I suspect we will be much older when this matter is settled in any court.

Kick the can down the road. Time is on our side.

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I think one of the largest worries is an event similar to the EV1. That would be worst case scenario where the legal battle goes terribly wrong, and they try to repossess the units sold. Personally, if they wanna try, they can Molon Labe.

I think any settlement on baring of sales will back-fire completely. I bet there are no less than a hundred small volume operators willing to assemble KDKs (Kit Cars) and sell them. This would likely massively increase the throughput to market over what M&M currently has, and would be a VASTLY larger threat to Jeep lol. Imagine the political tussle they'd have if they went after 50 mom and pop assemblers all over the nation.

I'm not overly concerned, just annoyed Jeep (cough Fiat cough) is playing the crony card instead of the "Produce what your customers want" card. If Jeep made a smaller, strippo, bedlined, flat dash, diesel, manual 18k Wrangler, M&M would have never brought the ROXOR.

From what I understand, EV1's were never sold, they were only leased. Purchase was never an option. It was a chance to gauge consumer interest and longevity of batteries etc. If Chrysler were to somehow win a lawsuit against Mahindra barring future sales of the Roxor, well then I guess the value of our's doubles or triples, or maybe they would trade us for a new Rubicon lol.. I'd still have to think about that one...

sandyx

Founding Member
The wheels of justice did grind slow but grind it did.

Fiat Chrysler Wins First Round in Mahindra Fight Over Roxor
https://www.usitc.gov/press_room/documents/337_1132_id.pdf

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Below are the patents that Roxor DOES NOT infringe.

Trade Mark Reg. No. 2862487
5.JPG

Trade Mark Reg. No. 2794553, 2161779
6.JPG

Trade Mark Reg. No. 4043984
7.JPG

Trade Mark Reg. No. 4272873
8.JPG

Last edited:

MaineRox

Was it ever in any doubt that Jeep would win? The feds have been protecting Jeep since the days of Kaiser Jeep and AMC. Read the Book High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV by Keith Bradsher if you want history of our government taking care of Jeep. Mahindra didn't stand a chance, unfortunately.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
So what this does is???

Makes Mahindra fab a different body for the great chassis. We will see what's next. A price increase for sure. Retooling? Body's built in what country now?

I have mine. It's paid for. It's gonna fly in the face if Fiat Chrisler to the day I die. Lol.

BDRAG

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m not a lawyer. What does this mean?

Tokarev

The wheels of justice did grind slow but grind it did.

Fiat Chrysler Wins First Round in Mahindra Fight Over Jeep Copy

https://www.usitc.gov/press_room/documents/337_1132_id.pdf

View attachment 5176
View attachment 5177
View attachment 5178
View attachment 5179

Below are the patents that Roxor DOES NOT infringe.

Trade Mark Reg. No. 2862487
View attachment 5180

Trade Mark Reg. No. 2794553, 2161779
View attachment 5181

Trade Mark Reg. No. 4043984
View attachment 5182

Trade Mark Reg. No. 4272873
View attachment 5183
Am I reading this correctly? Mahindra is not violating the Jeep style grill nor the iconic Willys profile?

If that's correct then what's the concern?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Butthurt. It’s what this boils down to.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Am I reading this correctly? Mahindra is not violating the Jeep style grill nor the iconic Willys profile?

It was Jeep, not Mahindra, that violated the iconic Willys profile starting a long time ago. Chrysler had ample opportunity to make a $16k Jeep, and had they done so there would have been no room in the market for Roxor. They couldn't. Protectionism becomes a convenient substitute for the inability to compete.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

That’s how I read it but every time I read legalese, it says the opposite of my interpretation:). I think the case hinges on part importation from India????

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Considering that auto makers source parts from all over I don’t think importation of parts will be the issue. Most likely it will be marketing the assembled vehicle in the state’s. Lawyers will argue that the license is for overseas sales. just my opinion And not enough info posted to form a solid opinion at that.

Tokarev

Only one news source appears to have a breakdown and that's Bloomberg. I can't access the story because I'm not subscribed to the website.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Put link in outline.com It’ll allow you to read it. Works to get around most paywalls.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So what does this mean to those of us who stopped by, financed one and hauled it home on a trailer? I would think once we signed on the dotted line, that's a wrap.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So what does this mean to those of us who stopped by, financed one and hauled it home on a trailer? I would think once we signed on the dotted line, that's a wrap.
Correct. It's a wrap.

Maybe spare parts issues if they are forced to stop selling them.

Tokarev

Hopefully MANA will issue a statement about this and its plans.

1930modelA

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Per Us International Trade Commission

By instituting this investigation (337-TA-1132), the USITC has not yet made any decision on the merits of the case. The USITC’s Chief Administrative Law Judge will assign the case to one of the USITC’s administrative law judges (ALJ), who will schedule and hold an evidentiary hearing. The ALJ will make an initial determination as to whether there is a violation of section 337; that initial determination is subject to review by the Commission.
The USITC will make a final determination in the investigation at the earliest practicable time. Within 45 days after institution of the investigation, the USITC will set a target date for completing the investigation. USITC remedial orders in section 337 cases are effective when issued and become final 60 days after issuance unless disapproved for policy reasons by the U.S. Trade Representative within that 60-day period.

Looks like they made initial determination that Rotor grill is a trade dress violation under Section 337 as an import into the US. If the Trade Commission agrees and it becomes final, I am not sure what comes next. Likely a bar from import unless they change the grill. The round headlights are not an issue, but is it just a matter of grill slates, or is it also the shape of the grill? I guess we wait and see.

DAMCars

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm all for a unique grill design anyway. Not being a jeep guy, I could care less about 7 slots or whatever. All I know is I love my Roxor.