ooooooooooo

Confusion greasing rear wheel bearings

lcp

Guys, I just attempted to grease my rear wheel bearings (the 2 grease zerks inside the rear wheels on the bottom of the axle tube) and did not find the top vent that the grease should squirt out of. I pumped a good amount of grease into each one, but I'm not sure how to tell how much is enough. Any advice?

NEVERMIND: I found it...it was just hidden by crap on top of it. Here's a pic in case any other mechanically challenged individual runs in to this. It took about 60 pumps from my grease gun to finally see some coming out of the weep hole.
Rear wheel bearing grease weep hole.jpg

Last edited:

Harry

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
If that hole is blocked hard, the grease can push past the seal into your brake drum. Happened on my right rear. I always use a dental pick to make sure it is clear before I start pumping now. They do take a lot of grease the first time you do it.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Reposting what I put on another threat on this forum last weekend.

@lcp : as Harry said, you might have pumped grease into your brakes.

Information on rear axle bearing grease fittings from a Jeep forum.

For all of us who have wondered why there is an open vent hole (instead of a valve) above the rear axle grease fitting, enjoy reading below.

Interesting to know the background / history of the rear axle grease fittings. (M38 and M38A1 were the military Jeeps from about 1951).

I'm servicing my M38A1 and found the zirk fitting (and apparently a vent) busted off. There is 0 information in the old Army field manual on the zirk and vent. Probably because bearings were over greased at PMCS (preventive maintenance, checks, and service). Searching the web, I found this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There are only two, one on each side pointed toward the rear. The upper fittings you see are Vents. On the M-38/M-38A1 they are calibrated to release at a certain pressure loaded, you will note a little cap on top that you can raise with your thumbnails.
The Army noticed a problem of drivers or mechanics over greasing the rear wheel bearings resulting in failed outer seals and greasy brake shoes. The cure was to immediately order the grease fittings removed and a plug installed until the next grease interval indicated in the LO. Best way to lube the rear bearings is slowly and sparingly with a hand operated gun. Pump slowly until the spring loaded valve starts to rise and stop. Some grease may appear, do not add any more.
The LO is confusing as to how to lube this area, it indicates removal and hand packing, that is an error, the grease fittings are for that purpose. Those CJ2A-CJ-5 owners will notice(Correction) a grease fitting also, there is no pressure relief valve on the CJ, just a small hole at the top, slowly pump grease in by hand until it just shows at the hole on top.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OffRoad709

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Guys, I just attempted to grease my rear wheel bearings (the 2 grease zerks inside the rear wheels on the bottom of the axle tube) and did not find the top vent that the grease should squirt out of. I pumped a good amount of grease into each one, but I'm not sure how to tell how much is enough. Any advice?

NEVERMIND: I found it...it was just hidden by crap on top of it. Here's a pic in case any other mechanically challenged individual runs in to this. It took about 60 pumps from my grease gun to finally see some coming out of the weep hole.
View attachment 12082
Thanks for the info and great picture

Greg

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

View attachment 12082
I do not see a grease fitting. How did you get the grease in.
What kind of adapter did you use.

lcp

I do not see a grease fitting. How did you get the grease in.
What kind of adapter did you use.
No grease adapter needed. It's just a standard grease zerk on the bottom of the axle tube. You can see it on the other side of the tube from the vent hole in the picture I put up in my first post. I'd use a pick to make sure the vent hole is unplugged too like Harry recommended.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Every new Rox I've helped grease the passenger side takes alot before it squirts out.