ooooooooooo

Classic replica/ kit car

NQILLC

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
SNIPPET:

I agree 100%. I made sure to talk to an actual DMV law-enforcement inspector, not a DMV counter clerk. He referred me to the guy in the main office that issues titles. Both were very knowledgable and were willing to talk. The guy that issues titles said the hangup is that the Roxor specifically says "warning off road use only."

The cobra kit car guys have successfully lobbied the State of Virginia to get them to do what they needed. I don't see them as being special. Shelby Cobras (replicas) are speed demons so the safety argument about a Roxor gets no traction with me.
I have updated a few threads with the following info and I think it is quite applicable to the state of VA as well, as I am in the same boat as you: Governor Snyder spends the day signing hundreds of bills and vetoed a few

The key here, is to go by the VA State Inspection Guide. If you put in all the proper gear to pass inspection for an "open-body" vehicle, then the Roxor will pass inspection. If it is not equipped with an OEM airbag, then it is not required. You can go the CJ-7 route which is no different than what Gateway Broncos is doing: https://www.gatewaybronco.com/, and you'll have one great resto-mod. The DMV cannot deny you a title if your vehicle meets all the on road requirements, even though it says "Off Road Only" per OEM. Once you put the required gear on the Roxor, especially, hubs, windshield/wipers/washers/ mirrors, signals, heat/defrost, etc., etc. you have a legal open body vehicle that also passes emissions requirements. So, getting it titled and registered in MI, and then transferring to VA should no longer be an obstacle. Of course we need to test this in theory. Best thing to do is to get one all upgraded, and set a meeting with DMV with someone who has a registered and inspected Jeep CJ, and do a point by point overview of each vehicle. That is proof positive. I will gladly bring my Scrambler to do a side by side comparison, if someone has a Roxor ready to be street legal. I won't be getting mine until the end of January.

Attachments

• MI Law 2018-HCB-5639.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 309

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have updated a few threads with the following info and I think it is quite applicable to the state of VA as well, as I am in the same boat as you: Governor Snyder spends the day signing hundreds of bills and vetoed a few

The key here, is to go by the VA State Inspection Guide. If you put in all the proper gear to pass inspection for an "open-body" vehicle, then the Roxor will pass inspection. If it is not equipped with an OEM airbag, then it is not required. You can go the CJ-7 route which is no different than what Gateway Broncos is doing: https://www.gatewaybronco.com/, and you'll have one great resto-mod. The DMV cannot deny you a title if your vehicle meets all the on road requirements, even though it says "Off Road Only" per OEM. Once you put the required gear on the Roxor, especially, hubs, windshield/wipers/washers/ mirrors, signals, heat/defrost, etc., etc. you have a legal open body vehicle that also passes emissions requirements. So, getting it titled and registered in MI, and then transferring to VA should no longer be an obstacle. Of course we need to test this in theory. Best thing to do is to get one all upgraded, and set a meeting with DMV with someone who has a registered and inspected Jeep CJ, and do a point by point overview of each vehicle. That is proof positive. I will gladly bring my Scrambler to do a side by side comparison, if someone has a Roxor ready to be street legal. I won't be getting mine until the end of January.

My Roxor will pass Maine inspection as a 1976 CJ7 with the exception of a plate light which I have but yet to install. Maine still says no to include no with a CJ7 tub with serial number. No Roxor parts can be used! I did ask if I could use the battery but did not receive a reply. I haven’t actually done the tub but did ask. Clearly Maine is not following “The rule of law” but the rule of man. I even have a seven slot grill installed with chrome trim. CJ7 sun visors. Roxor Disk brakes are better than the 1976 drum equipped CJ7. Looking for a knowledgeable attorney.

Someone has a lot of influence; with or without money cash involved? Has anyone reviewed the emissions? This is all about attorneys and law suits not replica safety. Maine compared my 3,100 lb machine to a 1,000 lb RZR! In what world?

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So.. my thoughts are, could we or I import the front grille from India and the windshield and register it as SEMA replica car?

Thoughts would be to register it as a 1976 CJ7 replica with improvements.

Any takers or thoughts?

Take out your Roxor grill and trace the outside outline onto 6061 aluminum flat stock. Use a plasma cutter. While marking mark and align 7 slots for grill, signal light and headlight holes. You might want to actually drill the top and bottom of slots to give a rounded clean look. Under headlights and taillights is hidden thus not as important. I drilled then used a worm drive skill saw on straight slots.

Presto JEEP!

DaveNH

I know the economy is good, but auto manufactures have gotten way too ahead of themselves and they continue to make tired inefficient engine drivetrain combinations.

To the contrary, drivetrains are more efficient than ever.

The problem is weight, primarily due to the ever increasing crash safety standards and other mandatory equipment.

A YJ Wrangler was rated at 17-18 mpg highway for the 6 and 4 cylinder respectively (manual)

A JL Wrangler is rated at 25 mpg highway (manual) with the Pentastar.

That's a pretty good increase despite the JLs curb weight being 1100# higher than the YJ. I can't help but think it'd be pushing 30 mpg if it dropped a half ton of bloat.

The real shame is that we should have extremely efficient vehicles today, but conflicting government regulations have eaten up much of the improvements.

Last edited:

one2doo

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My 87 year old mother said that is dangerous. I said safer than my Spyder.

DaveNH

Aside from being forbidden from judging for myself the level of safety I need, what really annoys me is that objectively less safe vehicles are perfectly street legal, so long as they're sufficiently old.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
No one ever said much the government does is logical.

Take catalytic converters for instance. You think there is a net reduction in emissions by those devices being there? Those devices were not blinked into existence by pixies. I'd love to see a truly recursive emissions impact analysis (rare earth metal mining employees drive to work, etc) on the viability of all the BS controls places on engines these days.

YJs, when kept mild, with a small diesel get in the low 30s MPG. Idiotic "emissions" regulation, that IMO fails at it's very intent, keep the US from seeing huge gains in efficiency.

Also, yeah safety regulation is almost worse. Instead of 2300 lb vehilces running around at 55 MPH, we have 3800 lb vehicles runnign around at 70 MPH. F = MA (deceleration in this case).

NQILLC

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
My Roxor will pass Maine inspection as a 1976 CJ7 with the exception of a plate light which I have but yet to install. Maine still says no to include no with a CJ7 tub with serial number. No Roxor parts can be used! I did ask if I could use the battery but did not receive a reply. I haven’t actually done the tub but did ask. Clearly Maine is not following “The rule of law” but the rule of man. I even have a seven slot grill installed with chrome trim. CJ7 sun visors. Roxor Disk brakes are better than the 1976 drum equipped CJ7. Looking for a knowledgeable attorney.

Someone has a lot of influence; with or without money cash involved? Has anyone reviewed the emissions? This is all about attorneys and law suits not replica safety. Maine compared my 3,100 lb machine to a 1,000 lb RZR! In what world?

I understand your pain. The key point that States are using to "not allow" the Roxor street access, is the fact that it is sold as a UTV not a road compliant vehicle, and are not issued a VIN from the factory. It has a PIN (Product ID) or serial number. It needs to have a VIN to be properly titled and registered. MANA (Mahindra North America) was very crafty to get these in the US and out to production. They knew what they had done, and what "we" would discover was a stripped down Jeep. The push back on your DMV statement of no Roxor parts, has no legal standing. An AMC Jeep has a Chevy steering column, Ford dizzy and coil, had a Buick V-6 option, Ford T176 tranny, Chevy/GMC fan motor....etc. And there is no law in ME that I could find in DMV code, that states you can't upgrade a motor, tranny, axles, brakes, carb, computer, seats, or any other component to a more modern version, as long as it meets the requirements for having a street legal vehicle. If that were the case, I couldn't drive my 83 Scrambler. A resto-mod, is different than building a replica. You can piece together a CJ frame, fiberglass body, Mercedes 617 diesel, 700R4 tranny, Ford 8" axles, and keep the VIN plate and it is a legal vehicle. Unless they can provide an exclusionary parts list, register as a CJ and drive the beast.

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I understand your pain. The key point that States are using to "not allow" the Roxor street access, is the fact that it is sold as a UTV not a road compliant vehicle, and are not issued a VIN from the factory. It has a PIN (Product ID) or serial number. It needs to have a VIN to be properly titled and registered. MANA (Mahindra North America) was very crafty to get these in the US and out to production. They knew what they had done, and what "we" would discover was a stripped down Jeep. The push back on your DMV statement of no Roxor parts, has no legal standing. An AMC Jeep has a Chevy steering column, Ford dizzy and coil, had a Buick V-6 option, Ford T176 tranny, Chevy/GMC fan motor....etc. And there is no law in ME that I could find in DMV code, that states you can't upgrade a motor, tranny, axles, brakes, carb, computer, seats, or any other component to a more modern version, as long as it meets the requirements for having a street legal vehicle. If that were the case, I couldn't drive my 83 Scrambler. A resto-mod, is different than building a replica. You can piece together a CJ frame, fiberglass body, Mercedes 617 diesel, 700R4 tranny, Ford 8" axles, and keep the VIN plate and it is a legal vehicle. Unless they can provide an exclusionary parts list, register as a CJ and drive the beast.

I actually paid excise tax to my town and attempted registration but State still refused as above.....

DaveNH

Take catalytic converters for instance. You think there is a net reduction in emissions by those devices being there? Those devices were not blinked into existence by pixies. I'd love to see a truly recursive emissions impact analysis (rare earth metal mining employees drive to work, etc) on the viability of all the BS controls places on engines these days.

Or better... the so called VW "cheating" scandal.

From the media reports, one might think that TDIs were rolling coal when not being tested. In reality it was a matter of small fractions of the emissions, and only in certain driving conditions.

But now that the "fixed" TDIs have been mpg rated, you can see what the real impact has been.

A pre scandal Jetta TDI was rated 30 city/44 highway. The "fixed" Jettas are rated at 29 city/37 highway.

That highway number is pretty significant. And many owners routinely did better than the rated mpg.

So even though the "cheating" vehicles were emitting more on a percentage/per mile basis, they were almost certainly emitting less ACTUAL emissions than the "fixed" cars.

And isn't that really what's important if that's your worry?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I actually paid excise tax to my town and attempted registration but State still refused as above.....

When the #RightWay to do something fails due to willfull malevolence and/or pure apathy, the choice is clear, the shiftiest yet legal loophole method to get the desired outcome. Again, if glad-handers have closed the #RightWay to a proper/logical outcome, they have chosen the remaining path.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Or better... the so called VW "cheating" scandal.

From the media reports, one might think that TDIs were rolling coal when not being tested. In reality it was a matter of small fractions of the emissions, and only in certain driving conditions.

But now that the "fixed" TDIs have been mpg rated, you can see what the real impact has been.

A pre scandal Jetta TDI was rated 30 city/44 highway. The "fixed" Jettas are rated at 29 city/37 highway.

That highway number is pretty significant. And many owners routinely did better than the rated mpg.

So even though the "cheating" vehicles were emitting more on a percentage/per mile basis, they were almost certainly emitting less ACTUAL emissions than the "fixed" cars.

And isn't that really what's important if that's your worry?

But how does this make a select few people in a select few states feel better about themselves on topics which they have a minute understanding?

NQILLC

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Did you get a written declination letter citing what ME State Statues disallowed titling and registration? If so and you wouldn't mind sharing it, PM me the letter. I will do some research and see what I find.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As much as i like the Roxor, its still not the "old jeeps". More mid 70's cj7. Id like to see them in the shorter,smaller size. ...but i cant waite to get a Roxor! Wish there was a dealer in Mobile,Alabama!
Hattiesburg cycles sells them. They are 100 miles from mobile and don’t charge Alabama customers sales tax. I live in Wilmer and picking mine up next week.

bcudda

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Would love to buy a roxor, I'm in VA and our DMV is rather nazi. As far as not being able to inspect without an airbag on page 102 of the inspection manual it specifies any vehicle not manufactured with an air bag is exempt. Would love to hear if anyone pulls off a street legal conversion in VA

SmartSelect_20190903-193109_Drive.jpg

RoxorNut

Would love to buy a roxor, I'm in VA and our DMV is rather nazi. As far as not being able to inspect without an airbag on page 102 of the inspection manual it specifies any vehicle not manufactured with an air bag is exempt. Would love to hear if anyone pulls off a street legal conversion in VA

View attachment 4603
I have a local Virginia customer who has gotten a Roxor street legal! He drives it to work at least once a week. Give Ultimate Cycle a call at 804-897-7433. Ask for Alex.

Skymarc

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got told I could register these road legal in Ontario, Canada as a kit car and get full plates for it.
I need flashers and rear mirrors which I am getting and will try to get it registered.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got told I could register these road legal in Ontario, Canada as a kit car and get full plates for it.
I need flashers and rear mirrors which I am getting and will try to get it registered.
Welcome to the street legal club!