ooooooooooo

Classic replica/ kit car

Soon2be1

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
So.. my thoughts are, could we or I import the front grille from India and the windshield and register it as SEMA replica car?

Thoughts would be to register it as a 1976 CJ7 replica with improvements.

Any takers or thoughts?

General

Founding Member
Don't the rules for on-road registration vary by state, especially in the realm of replica/kit cars? Does SEMA have a nation-wide process for getting a car qualified for registration?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It does vary greatly by state but that does appear to be a legal, non shady, path to road use.

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So.. my thoughts are, could we or I import the front grille from India and the windshield and register it as SEMA replica car?

Any takers or thoughts?
It might work as a CUSTOM car in Maine. No excise tax as a UTE in Maine but as a car it would be just over $400. That $ might turn the tide?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yup. People who say "OMG IT CAN'T BE ROAD TAGGED WTF777!" lose sight of the fact it's a pile of parts.

That they are pre-assembled does not change this fact one bit.

McTaps94

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
In NC you can register as a custom car or as a kit car as well.
What is a Custom-Built Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle that is completely reconstructed or assembled from new or used parts
  • Will be branded as "specially constructed vehicle"
  • Year of vehicle will be year of assembly.
What is a Replica Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle which is a replica manufactured from a kit and sold unassembled
  • Titled as the make and year model intended to be replicated
  • Model listed on title is "replica"
  • Will be branded as "specially contructed vehicle"
  • Motorcycles are not titled as replicas.
Once it has a vin and title and all that, you could just to a title transfer to your home state.
Maybe if enough of us want it highway road ready, we could contact a dealership to try it out.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
WI has some more appealing replica verbiage. Once I get my grill and windshield setup sorted, I'm gonna file for replica VIN/Title.

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m working on a grill from 6011 aluminum. Waiting to get 7 slot measurements from a CJ5-7.

One may be able to create custom car NC titles for sale in other states? I think if you have a licensed and inspected car in state A you can operate in the other 49 states? Look at Avis, Hertz and other lots in high excise tax states, they rent out of state cars to avoid taxes. As I’ve posted before $33 for a UTV registration but over $400 with excise tax as a new roadable vehicle in Maine. Wait until the spend crazy politicians discover more money to spend. I don’t mind paying taxes but the method of spending needs adjustment.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
One may be able to create custom car NC titles for sale in other states?

This depends on complete reciprocity among the states, but so long as normal plates are attached to the vehicle, I believe that is correct.

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m working on a grill from 6011 aluminum. Waiting to get 7 slot measurements from a CJ5-7.

One may be able to create custom car NC titles for sale in other states? I think if you have a licensed and inspected car in state A you can operate in the other 49 states? Look at Avis, Hertz and other lots in high excise tax states, they rent out of state cars to avoid taxes. As I’ve posted before $33 for a UTV registration but over $400 with excise tax as a new roadable vehicle in Maine. Wait until the spend crazy politicians discover more money to spend. I don’t mind paying taxes but the method of spending needs adjustment.
6061.....6011 is a welding rod! Lol.

Grapedrank

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

Any takers or thoughts?

I’m going to try to arrange a meeting with my DMV.

I’ve been reading the laws of the state of Virginia and it looks like to me this is possible, but there is a catch. In Virginia replica vehicles can only drive on roads 5,000 Miles per year. This would still work for me since it is a seasonal vehicle that I would use for chores like salvaging storm trees and branches for firewood.

Grapedrank

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have talked to the VA DMV law-enforcement division, I was given a direct number to talk to someone from DMV that assigns VINS. The Shelby Cobra guys get carte blanche to do what they want, but I cannot build a replica Willy's. I wish there was an attorney or law firm that I could hire to help me with this. As I interpret VA law I see no reason I could not build a replica Willy's on a Roxor.

I am really dismayed and angry. The bureaucracy of Federal and State government has gone overboard in regard to the Mahindra. I don't need a $40,000 Jeep or truck. The Roxor is a perfect chore/recreational vehicle and It is perfect for my needs to salvage downed limbs, harvest firewood, and do landscaping chores.

The VA DMV law enforcement told me that titling it in another state then transferring the title to Virginia could work, but it would have to pass a VA state inspection. Since it doesn't have airbags then it won't pass inspection.

I talked to Dirt Legal and they said that North Dakota motorcycle tags were an option and I can tell you that motorcycle tags in Virginia isn't going to work.

I am really upset. The Mahindra Roxor is my dream vehicle. I love it, but the government says I can't have it at least not to drive it on the roads.

You know I see all these chromie homies all over the place with their piece of junk fabricated Hondas with right-hand drive, fartcan mufflers, etcetera and etcetera driving their unsafe ridiculous tubs all over the place, but I can't make a Mahindra. I just don't get it and the entire ordeal has me really feeling isolated in my supposed free country.

I am going to write to my state and federal representatives to complain and I tell you this, as a Jeep owner I will assert that I will never, ever buy another Jeep or Mopar ever again for what they are trying to do to Mahindra. Jeeps have gotten absurd with their price structure and making stuff that I don't need or want. The 3.6 liter has to be wound way up to produce any power and it doesn't feel good even with a 3:73 final drive and 5-speed auto. I have driven a 6-speed manual Jeep with a 3.73 and it cannot hold a candle to what the Mahindra feels like from a dead stop. I don't need the horsepower, I need the torque. I don't want to feel like I'm burning up my clutch to move the vehicle. The Mahindra diesel is a light year ahead of the sluggish Mopar. I know the economy is good, but auto manufactures have gotten way too ahead of themselves and they continue to make tired inefficient engine drivetrain combinations.

Last edited:

Gus

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
As much as i like the Roxor, its still not the "old jeeps". More mid 70's cj7. Id like to see them in the shorter,smaller size. ...but i cant waite to get a Roxor! Wish there was a dealer in Mobile,Alabama!

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The VA DMV law enforcement told me that titling it in another state then transferring the title to Virginia could work, but it would have to pass a VA state inspection. Since it doesn't have airbags then it won't pass inspection.

For what make/model/year will it require an inspection? Whatever year is on the title, 196X? The Willys era Jeep you replicated does not, nor ever had, airbags.

Also, never assume government employees know what they are doing or care about their jobs. In fact, half the time if you come in with more info than they have, they auto-approve whatever you fast-word tell them..

Grapedrank

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
SNIPPET:
Also, never assume government employees know what they are doing .

I agree 100%. I made sure to talk to an actual DMV law-enforcement inspector, not a DMV counter clerk. He referred me to the guy in the main office that issues titles. Both were very knowledgable and were willing to talk. The guy that issues titles said the hangup is that the Roxor specifically says "warning off road use only."

The cobra kit car guys have successfully lobbied the State of Virginia to get them to do what they needed. I don't see them as being special. Shelby Cobras (replicas) are speed demons so the safety argument about a Roxor gets no traction with me.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There is a solution here and I think the solution is to work the green angle.

If logic and honesty don't prevail, then they've chosen for you; the solution is the shiftiest yet legal path you can take. <Insert IL joke here>

dvette427

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have talked to the VA DMV law-enforcement division, I was given a direct number to talk to someone from DMV that assigns VINS. The Shelby Cobra guys get carte blanche to do what they want, but I cannot build a replica Willy's. I wish there was an attorney or law firm that I could hire to help me with this. As I interpret VA law I see no reason I could not build a replica Willy's on a Roxor.

I am really dismayed and angry. The bureaucracy of Federal and State government has gone overboard in regard to the Mahindra. I don't need a $40,000 Jeep or truck. The Roxor is a perfect chore/recreational vehicle and It is perfect for my needs to salvage downed limbs, harvest firewood, and do landscaping chores.

I talked to Dirt Legal and they said that North Dakota motorcycle tags were an option and I can tell you that motorcycle tags in Virginia isn't going to work.

I am really upset. The Mahindra Roxor is my dream vehicle. I love it, but the government says I can't have it at least not to drive it on the roads.

You know I see all these chromie homies all over the place with their piece of junk fabricated Hondas with right-hand drive, fartcan mufflers, etcetera and etcetera driving their unsafe ridiculous tubs all over the place, but I can't make a Mahindra. I just don't get it and the entire ordeal has me really feeling isolated in my supposed free country.

I am going to write to my state and federal representatives to complain and I tell you this, as a Jeep owner I will assert that I will never, ever buy another Jeep or Mopar ever again for what they are trying to do to Mahindra. Jeeps have gotten absurd with their price structure and making stuff that I don't need or want. The 3.6 liter has to be wound way up to produce any power and it doesn't feel good even with a 3:73 final drive and 5-speed auto. I have driven a 6-speed manual Jeep with a 3.73 and it cannot hold a candle to what the Mahindra feels like from a dead stop. I don't need the horsepower, I need the torque. I don't want to feel like I'm burning up my clutch to move the vehicle. The Mahindra diesel is a light year ahead of the sluggish Mopar. I know the economy is good, but auto manufactures have gotten way too ahead of themselves and they continue to make tired inefficient engine drivetrain combinations.
Talk to dirt legal they say they can get u a florida title and you can transfer it to the communist state of VA

Diesel kawboy

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
WI has some more appealing replica verbiage. Once I get my grill and windshield setup sorted, I'm gonna file for replica VIN/Title.
How did that pan out for you? I'm curious about these but want to drive on the street by my house in Wisconsin

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Been dragging ass getting other stuff ready for winter. Plan is to be ready very soon.