ooooooooooo

CJ-7 window issues, wrong glass

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought CJ-7 winshield and Glass but the glass in narrrower and longer. I purchased the glass a month ago and finally opened it today. I dont think I can return it. How do I specify the glass I need without ordering this one again? when you buy the glass they usually dont talk about width and length. Anyone had the same issue?

DD4BFD5B-7714-4913-A301-17B688B4CF8C.jpeg 0B87134B-C00B-423B-A0EF-8498D7BC09BE.jpeg

General

Founding Member
Wow, that's like 4 inches off. Double check your order. Also double check the inventory number of the glass from the packaging. One of those is likely incorrect. At least if they sent you one you didn't order then you could get the one you did order. It looks like a Wrangler windshield.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I think its a CJ-6. But apparently I can return it and ordered one with the measurements of 16x54 inches which seems just about right.

CE43CFC8-ECB0-486C-84D7-0AFFAC281926.jpeg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
IIRC there are 3 major flavors of windshields for non-flatty CJs:
Early (55-68)
Intermediate-ish (69 through 75)
Late (76+).

Every CJ in 76-86 uses the same windshield frame and glass (5,7,8). The early CJ5 windshield frames have a top chanel, top mount wipers and came in three types: normal, split, and vented. The "intermediate" ones have the top channel but bottom mount wipers. All three major types use different glass IIRC, for a grand total of 5 different glass cuts for the CJ5 (barring niche setups like the light artillery M38A1 etc etc).

The reason I say intermediate-ish is true Intermediate CJ5s ran from 72-75, but carried over the frame from last couple years of the Early CJ5s (55-71).

You sure you got CJ glass and not YJ or TJ?

I have a split Early CJ5 and "Intermediate" windshield in my garage. I can measure the glass if you want.

Last edited:

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
IIRC there are 3 major flavors of windshields for non-flatty CJs:
Early (55-68)
Intermediate-ish (69 through 75)
Late (76+).

Every CJ in 76-86 uses the same windshield frame and glass (5,6,7,8). The early CJ5 windshield frames have a top chanel, top mount wipers and came in three types: normal, split, and vented. The "intermediate" ones have the top channel but bottom mount wipers. All three major types use different glass IIRC, for a grand total of 6 different glass cuts for the CJ5 (barring niche setups like the light artillery M38A1 etc etc).

The reason I say intermediate-ish is true Intermediate CJ5s ran from 72-75, but carried over the frame from last couple years of the Early CJ5s (55-71).

You sure you got CJ glass and not YJ or TJ?

I have a split Early CJ5 and "Intermediate" windshield in my garage. I can measure the glass if you want.
I returned the glass today. I think they sent me a CJ6 glass, the glass I need needs to be 16x54 inches, which I ordered today. Thank you so much for your research and input, I didnt know that this could get so complicated.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just for clarity of future searches (and a bit of a correction from above), CJ6s covered all of the years of Early and Intermediate CJ5s and always had the same windshields as the CJ5s during those spans. Thus, the year (55-68 or 69-75) and style of the windshield (normal, split or vented) is the important bit, not the model of CJ (5 vs 6).

CJ 7s and 8s only ran 76-86 so therefore only had the one style of windshield, which was the same as the 5 during that span.. (6 did not exist during the Late CJ5 era)

Reactions: SMH

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just for clarity of future searches (and a bit of a correction from above), CJ6s covered all of the years of Early and Intermediate CJ5s and always had the same windshields as the CJ5s during those spans. Thus, the year (55-68 or 69-75) and style of the windshield (normal, split or vented) is the important bit, not the model of CJ (5 vs 6).

CJ 7s and 8s only ran 76-86 so therefore only had the one style of windshield, which was the same as the 5 during that span.. (6 did not exist during the Late CJ5 era)
You should do an entry into Wikipedia on CJ windows! a true subject matter expert. Good to have such knowledgeable people in this forum.?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It'll be useful down the road as our Roxors and the CJ5 era Jeeps all begin to 'cross pollinate' lol

Outstanding information!
PS. One thing I should note though: CJ6s have been produced during the late CJ5 era (1976-83, till they have been replaced by the CJ8):
a. In the US for export (some of them found their way to my country of origin, Greece)
b. Built under licence in other countries, e.g. since 1978 in Egypt (by Arab American Vehicles Company ): FCA US Media - Jeep J8 Production Begins at Arab American Vehicles Company