ooooooooooo

Battery upgrade

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Since installing the winch I’ve needed a better battery. About 3 months ago I had to roll start the Roxor out if the barn. The battery didn’t have enough juice to crank it over. Then a few weeks later I had to jump it. The battery stayed up since cause it’s been used daily or weekly. But the initial starts have been slower than normal. So I decided to swap it out today.

Upon removal I noticed the sides of the stock battery bulged out a little. Not a good sign, it was time to swap. i put an agm 34/78 battery in it’s place. I had wanted an Odyssey 34/78 PC1500 due to previous experiences with this battery but nobody had one local and the economy being what it is I cheaped out and put an O’Reilly’s Super Start 37/78 AGM in it. Figured if I had problems I can swap it easier plus it’s about $100 cheaper at $199.99. It has I believe 750 CCA which is quite a bit more than the stock with 580. While I don’t expect this battery to last as long as the Odyssey it should last a lot longer than the factory battery.

The 34/78 is almost a direct swap. It fits the tray just fine but the hold downs must be modified. I was hoping the stock hold downs could be removed easily for new ones to be fabbed up. That was not the case. The hold down bolts are riveted onto the tray and must be ground off. Being that I was limited to tools at the house i decided not to grind them off and spend time going back into town looking for new tie down bolts or trying to modify these to be shorter. I had hoped that they were clipped on and could be moved down into the hole below the stock placement. I didn’t discover this until I had the battery tray removed. Removal was 4 bolts on the firewall and one under the tray.

With the tray removed I put the new battery in it. It fit well, well enough if I had one of those battery hold down wedges I could have made that work. Not having one nor wanting to go chase one down and make it work I decided to thread the factory hold down bolts. It will take a M8x1.25 die to do it. There’s lots to thread but I went ahead and left it alone and didn’t want to cut it down so it’s easier to start the nut and I can go back to the factory style tie down if necessary.
C1218325-69A1-4444-AB20-DC07A925780E.jpeg

Here you can see the newly threaded rod on the negative side while the positive side hasn’t been threaded. Between the shorter battery height and moving the rod vertical it makes for a tall set up. But have no fear cause even vertical there is plenty of height under the hood.
5E546525-A8AD-4F78-81F7-2D7D24AC085D.jpeg

So I get both sides threaded and the tray bolted back up then it was time to put the new battery in. I had to grind the center of the negative terminal where it comes together. Apparently the new battery had a slightly smaller diameter negative terminal vs factory and wouldn’t tighten down sufficiently. On the terminal you can see a small flat area projecting out where the bolt goes across it. Remove that bolt and grind it flush with a dremal and you now have a terminal that can fully clamp on the smaller post. It wasn’t much to grind off but it was enough. Easier than replacing the terminal end.
7ACAAECE-B2D4-4E56-9EFA-2F56BC8DA60D.jpeg

After putting it in and getting the cables connected you must reroute the cables that used to clip on the factory hold down. I was able to get one end clipped on the negative side and just let the positive side dangle as I couldn’t get it to clip anywhere else
B76E5F6E-89DC-42C1-AE8F-9458DD9F351E.jpeg

The nice thing about the 34/78 battery is your winch can bolt straight to the side terminals. The factory terminals are kinda dinky and the winch will draw lots of amps. Not a good situation as you don’t want to melt the terminals clamps down nor do you want to starve your winch for power. So the easiest and neatest solution IMO is the 33/78 battery.

This mod is very easy and definitely worth the time. I believe it took me about an hour to do. Your gonna need a 10mm for the battery cables, 12mm socket and wrench for the hold down brackets, and a 13mm if you choose to remove the tray. The new bolts I bought for the side terminals took an 8mm. And of course an M8x1.25 die if you choose to add threads to the factory hold down bolts. With many Roxors hitting the 2-3 yr mark the factory batteries will be giving up their lease on life soon. I hope this helps some of y’all out and possibly gives you ideas to expand upon and improve the execution of the battery swap.

C1218325-69A1-4444-AB20-DC07A925780E.jpeg B76E5F6E-89DC-42C1-AE8F-9458DD9F351E.jpeg 5E546525-A8AD-4F78-81F7-2D7D24AC085D.jpeg 7ACAAECE-B2D4-4E56-9EFA-2F56BC8DA60D.jpeg

C1218325-69A1-4444-AB20-DC07A925780E.jpeg B76E5F6E-89DC-42C1-AE8F-9458DD9F351E.jpeg 5E546525-A8AD-4F78-81F7-2D7D24AC085D.jpeg 7ACAAECE-B2D4-4E56-9EFA-2F56BC8DA60D.jpeg

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Looks good, great idea with the waterproof 120A set up on the firewall.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Looks good, great idea with the waterproof 120A set up on the firewall.
That feeds the fuse box I added inside just below the factory fuses. It powers my turn signals, cb, gmrs radio, and usb power points, and windshield washer pump. I may have missed something in there. Makes running wires much easier and cleaner.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Since installing the winch I’ve needed a better battery. About 3 months ago I had to roll start the Roxor out if the barn. The battery didn’t have enough juice to crank it over. Then a few weeks later I had to jump it. The battery stayed up since cause it’s been used daily or weekly. But the initial starts have been slower than normal. So I decided to swap it out today.

Upon removal I noticed the sides of the stock battery bulged out a little. Not a good sign, it was time to swap. i put an agm 34/78 battery in it’s place. I had wanted an Odyssey 34/78 PC1500 due to previous experiences with this battery but nobody had one local and the economy being what it is I cheaped out and put an O’Reilly’s Super Start 37/78 AGM in it. Figured if I had problems I can swap it easier plus it’s about $100 cheaper at $199.99. It has I believe 750 CCA which is quite a bit more than the stock with 580. While I don’t expect this battery to last as long as the Odyssey it should last a lot longer than the factory battery.

The 34/78 is almost a direct swap. It fits the tray just fine but the hold downs must be modified. I was hoping the stock hold downs could be removed easily for new ones to be fabbed up. That was not the case. The hold down bolts are riveted onto the tray and must be ground off. Being that I was limited to tools at the house i decided not to grind them off and spend time going back into town looking for new tie down bolts or trying to modify these to be shorter. I had hoped that they were clipped on and could be moved down into the hole below the stock placement. I didn’t discover this until I had the battery tray removed. Removal was 4 bolts on the firewall and one under the tray.

With the tray removed I put the new battery in it. It fit well, well enough if I had one of those battery hold down wedges I could have made that work. Not having one nor wanting to go chase one down and make it work I decided to thread the factory hold down bolts. It will take a M8x1.25 die to do it. There’s lots to thread but I went ahead and left it alone and didn’t want to cut it down so it’s easier to start the nut and I can go back to the factory style tie down if necessary.
View attachment 6545

Here you can see the newly threaded rod on the negative side while the positive side hasn’t been threaded. Between the shorter battery height and moving the rod vertical it makes for a tall set up. But have no fear cause even vertical there is plenty of height under the hood.
View attachment 6548

So I get both sides threaded and the tray bolted back up then it was time to put the new battery in. I had to grind the center of the negative terminal where it comes together. Apparently the new battery had a slightly smaller diameter negative terminal vs factory and wouldn’t tighten down sufficiently. On the terminal you can see a small flat area projecting out where the bolt goes across it. Remove that bolt and grind it flush with a dremal and you now have a terminal that can fully clamp on the smaller post. It wasn’t much to grind off but it was enough. Easier than replacing the terminal end.
View attachment 6549

After putting it in and getting the cables connected you must reroute the cables that used to clip on the factory hold down. I was able to get one end clipped on the negative side and just let the positive side dangle as I couldn’t get it to clip anywhere else
View attachment 6546

The nice thing about the 34/78 battery is your winch can bolt straight to the side terminals. The factory terminals are kinda dinky and the winch will draw lots of amps. Not a good situation as you don’t want to melt the terminals clamps down nor do you want to starve your winch for power. So the easiest and neatest solution IMO is the 33/78 battery.

This mod is very easy and definitely worth the time. I believe it took me about an hour to do. Your gonna need a 10mm for the battery cables, 12mm socket and wrench for the hold down brackets, and a 13mm if you choose to remove the tray. The new bolts I bought for the side terminals took an 8mm. And of course an M8x1.25 die if you choose to add threads to the factory hold down bolts. With many Roxors hitting the 2-3 yr mark the factory batteries will be giving up their lease on life soon. I hope this helps some of y’all out and possibly gives you ideas to expand upon and improve the execution of the battery swap.

View attachment 6545 View attachment 6546 View attachment 6548 View attachment 6549

View attachment 6545 View attachment 6546 View attachment 6548 View attachment 6549

Hey tx, I have the factory AGM battery. When installed yours did you notice the vents holes in the edge at each side?
My OEM has them, no vent tube was present even though one hole had a plug in it and the other a 90 degree tube for a hose. I went ahead and added the vent tube and hung it down below the chassis behind the front tire.

I kept having my battery die off after 3 weeks of setting. Finally started charging with a charger made for the AGM batteries which need a better or bigger charger than the standard battery tender. I had an Odyssey battery in one of my past bikes. So I dug it out and it charged the battery to a higher state than the Battery tender did.

It would start after 3 weeks but was still noticeably discharging. I decided to cut off any power from any add ons like my stereo and gps unit. This stopped the die off. I can let it sit for 3 weeks and start it with 2 chuga a chugs. LOL

Cut them dam bolts off or your gonna have a nice old man bruis on your fore arm if you snag them! LOL.

BDRAG

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Once I rip a sleeve or tear open an arm and need to practice my TQ skills then I’ll cut them bolts down. Never had a problem with the factory battery till the beginning of the year. It an 18 model that I believe was built in October. So the battery is probably near the 2 yr mark. I’ve seen several folks either here or on Facebook groups that had battery problems. just something for all you 18/19 model year folks to keep in the back of your mind.