ooooooooooo

Axle swap vs regear.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I was looking at east coast gear and supply at custom built axle assemblies JEEP CJ COMPLETE BOLT IN AXLE ASSEMBLIES

it looks like we can get new built axles for front and rear with the correct offsets And even wide track width or wider. I awhile back I had it figured around 5k to do the gears. Lockers and chrome moly axles to the stock axles and that wasn’t including labor. Building a set from east coast looks to be around 7500 (grizzly front, ox rear). And the rear axle comes with disc brakes. Looks to be a possible comparable expense with better results. Just wonder about the proportioning for rear disc brakes and the steering mods needed for the front axle. All in all it looks good. Maybe just a rear swap. That part alone was very close to just the parts to upgrade the stock axle. Thoughts?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
cb7d0428e514a29eaa4f61882b1fbd05.jpg
56ff0c15e081534e944ce566ab667623.jpg

So for the rear we have about a $1200 for the full float. Another $1000 for the Ox. Not gonna include the cable since it’s the same cost for either option. Another say $400 for the gears. Then say $400 for the set up. So we’re looking at least $3000 in the rear axle. The build I have includes a lube locker gasket and a diff cover that’s not include in ,y rough estimate. That only brings the difference closer. So we’re about a $600 difference and the new axle has disc brakes. This not counting any additional parts needed to run the rear discs.

BackwoodsBoggers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Have you looked into this any farther, this is the route I’m wanting to take. Curious if you have any input or thought since this was posted?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I went ahead and just regeared and locked as well as upgrading my shafts. I still wish I would have done a swap as I could have better brakes as well as turning radius from a wider axle but the costs were still more than I wanted to incur at the time as I’d have to swap both axles at the same time. And doing just one leaves the 4x4 inoperable until the gears match. Also driveshafts would likely have to be swapped.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Funny you posted this. I did the same research for my axle mods. Don't forget to calculate shipping into your numbers. For me it was over $1200 difference. So I just rebuilt the stock ones. Loving the 4.88 with OX lockers. I just really wish we could re gear the transfer case as well to get a super low crawl.

BackwoodsBoggers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Right after loading the axles out from east coast it’s well over what I want to spend on it. I’m thinking most of the issue I’m having with the front wheel bearings could be coming from the big lugs on the terminators. So I’m going to swap tires for now, if that helps then I’ll continue forward with axles, gears an so on