ooooooooooo

Looking for lunchbox vs Ox lockers info

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My roxor will be my off road hunting machine mud snow dirt and an ocassional river crossing! All done with me and the dog mostly so i dont want to get stuck advantage of one style over another blue is street legal but wont spend much time on pavement. So which is the way to go i dont try crazy but i dont want to get stuck... chime in everyone What say you!?! Also should i have my utv dealer install whatever of the two idecide or go to a more vehicle rather than utv mechanic?

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
excellent questions. I am struggling with the same issues. If anyone knows a good place to have Ox lockers installed anywhere near eastern Idaho please message me.

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Trailway88

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have an Aussie Locker in my Land Cruiser, it's my daily. As long as it's installed properly it is very quiet. Passengers don't notice until I point it out and even then they can barely tell. And I haven't seen issues with tire wear or driveability. I'd definitely recommend a lunchbox locker.

B

Bister

I'm going with the roxor Lunchbox lockers front and rear and the warn hubs on the front. When they come in and the dealer has a chance to install, I will give you my opinion. This is all new to me so I have no opinion one way or the other. I just know I wasn't spending the money for OX lockers that I don't need. I'm not rock crawling. I just don't want to get hung up because of open diffs when I am out by myself. I probably would have been fine with just the back one; but hey, 'go big or go home'. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Im pretty sure I am going OX. They seem simple, the mechanical levers look quality. I'll probably install them myself, If I do I will do a video on it. I will be using this as a driver and the clicking of a lunchbox would drive me insane. But still Lunchbox is a good cheaper alternative just as if not more reliable than the OX.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If your got going to change gears and are a part time off roader the Spartan will server you well, and yes the OX is a good unite but quit expensive. If a you are changing gears the OX locker is not the best choice, Eaton makes a very good auto locker and is half the price. With the saved money you could put an LSD up front.

tcxtreme

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I do like OX but love E locker. Either way a more skilled driver as well as a better driving experience will be had with a selectable locker.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If you are installing a Spartan in the front axle, you will want lock outs, when in two wheel drive it will better for the Spartan, and drive better.
West Coast Off Road sells Warn lock outs for $160.99, cheapest i have seen. go to there web site and search for w29062. Spartan $237.80 on Amazon.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If you are installing a Spartan in the front axle, you will want lock outs, when in two wheel drive it will better for the Spartan, and drive better.
West Coast Off Road sells Warn lock outs for $160.99, cheapest i have seen. go to there web site and search for w29062. Spartan $237.80 on Amazon.
Not sure im on the correct west coast off road site there are a few where are they located?

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So just to update I have my Spartan Locker in hand (actually it is siting on the desk) I installed my Warn hubs over the weekend. My Dealer hasn't ever installed a locker so I am a little leery to be there crash test dummy! And they want 4 hours labor @129.00 thats 500 plus so I need to save up a little. I have tried the Jeep/offroad shops and since they cant find a Roxor in the labor book they all want me to bring it in even though I tell them its a Dana 44 Diff. For those of you that have had it done is 4 hrs labor in the ballpark?

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So just to update I have my Spartan Locker in hand (actually it is siting on the desk) I installed my Warn hubs over the weekend. My Dealer hasn't ever installed a locker so I am a little leery to be there crash test dummy! And they want 4 hours labor @129.00 thats 500 plus so I need to save up a little. I have tried the Jeep/offroad shops and since they cant find a Roxor in the labor book they all want me to bring it in even though I tell them its a Dana 44 Diff. For those of you that have had it done is 4 hrs labor in the ballpark?

IMHO, don't let the dealer do it. It is an automotive task, not a UTV task.

But yes, 4ish hours is what it takes even a pro.

tmichelena

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

What is the part number of the Spartan?

Erdinger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Spartan SL D44-19, from Quick Performance Racing, Ames, Iowa, thru Amazon, for $237. Just a couple weeks ago. I think I read somewhere else on this forum that prices had gone up a lot. Found this one at old prices though. I think.
Amazon.com: Spartan Locker for Dana 44 differential with 19 spline axles, includes heavy-duty cross pin shaft: Automotive.
Haven't installed yet. But looks good in the box.
Thinking about having teenage sons install it while i sit in lawn chair, drink beer, watching.
Thoughts?

IMG_1016.JPG

Chris Beyer

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Spartan SL D44-19, from Quick Performance Racing, Ames, Iowa, thru Amazon, for $237. Just a couple weeks ago. I think I read somewhere else on this forum that prices had gone up a lot. Found this one at old prices though. I think.
Amazon.com: Spartan Locker for Dana 44 differential with 19 spline axles, includes heavy-duty cross pin shaft: Automotive.
Haven't installed yet. But looks good in the box.
Thinking about having teenage sons install it while i sit in lawn chair, drink beer, watching.
Thoughts?

View attachment 6618
Must have video...