ooooooooooo

axle play

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Does anyone know how much axle play is normal? Im talking about how much the wheel should be able to move in and out on the axle. I am having horrible grinding noises, and the brake drum housing is rubbing on the dust cover for the brakes. It was in one section, and I tapped the brake cover back a a little, and that was fine for a while. Now, the noise is worse, and it looks like the entire dust cover is getting rubbed (as evidenced by rubbing marks and missing ground down metal on the dust cover). I measured the slop in the axle, and it is about 2mm as measured with calipers. It seems like more, but that is what it measured. So my question is, how much axle play is normal? Any ideas on what is going on causing the drum to rub the dust cover?
I did get a Torq locker installed, and the issues with the rubbing started after that.
Thanks!!

B

Bister

Does anyone know how much axle play is normal? Im talking about how much the wheel should be able to move in and out on the axle. I am having horrible grinding noises, and the brake drum housing is rubbing on the dust cover for the brakes. It was in one section, and I tapped the brake cover back a a little, and that was fine for a while. Now, the noise is worse, and it looks like the entire dust cover is getting rubbed (as evidenced by rubbing marks and missing ground down metal on the dust cover). I measured the slop in the axle, and it is about 2mm as measured with calipers. It seems like more, but that is what it measured. So my question is, how much axle play is normal? Any ideas on what is going on causing the drum to rub the dust cover?
I did get a Torq locker installed, and the issues with the rubbing started after that.
Thanks!!
Is a Torq locker similar to a Spartan locker? I know when some had Spartans installed, the spacer between the axles didn't get put back it and it created a problem like you are having. I'm not familiar with a Torq locker.

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks Les,
Yes, that thread describes my dilemma precisely, except for the torq vs Spartan difference. That part is confusing. The Torq directions do not state to use the spacer, but I do not have the spacer in my box of parts that came back from the dealer. So that is confusing. The Torq directions do not state to not use the spacer either. So, I do not know if there is one in there now or not. If there is one in there, I would think there would be less play, maybe. Does 2mm sound excessive? I dont know this either. There is more information on the Spartan with the Roxor, not much on the Torq.
But, that thread you shared did sum up the problem I am having exactly. Looks like I need to take it back to the dealer.
Thanks Les!

B

Bister

I don't know if there should be really any play. That stuff is above my pay grade, I leave that to the guys with better mechanical ability than myself.

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I feel the same way, ha ha. Looking at it and seeing the movement seems like a lot, but I truly don't know what it is supposed to be like.