ooooooooooo

30 Spline Axle Swap

Nicholasdaniels202

So I’m about to swap out the 19 spline axles for 30 spline axles and I’m trying to get a parts list together. The question I have is can I reuse the 3.73 ring gear and pinion or do I have to get a new one for the carrier. I know I have to get a 30 spline Carrier but is there anything else I need to get.
Also, I’m getting Locking Hubs and all new bearings.
Any help would be appreciated.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Are you doing front or rear axle? From what I have read and gathered, may be best to go through and talk to On The Rox Fab. They seem to have better prices and very helpful. I think they have an instruction guide on it maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicholasdaniels202

Are you doing front or rear axle? From what I have read and gathered, may be best to go through and talk to On The Rox Fab. They seem to have better prices and very helpful. I think they have an instruction guide on it maybe?

I’m doing the front. The old u joints gave out and sheared the front axles.
I’ve looked through On the Rox Fab and am planning on buying their CV Axle kit. I may call them tomorrow and see what I need.
The only problem being I want to keep the gear the same and noticed that they didn’t offer a 3.73 gear

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Gotcha. Yeah especially since that’s what you are planning I would say they can get you going. Good luck on it!

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The stock ring and pinion are special size. Gonna have to upgrade everything inside. OTR has the complete kits with all the shims and bearings needed. I changed out to 4.88 gears with OX electric lockers and love them. Made the Rubicon trail comfortable.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’m doing the front. The old u joints gave out and sheared the front axles.
I’ve looked through On the Rox Fab and am planning on buying their CV Axle kit. I may call them tomorrow and see what I need.
The only problem being I want to keep the gear the same and noticed that they didn’t offer a 3.73 gear
i have already done this. first if you can afford the front CV axles go with them, CV axles do not become weaker as you turn, u-joint axles do, and when you are turning you will not feel the lump of a u-joint. Ok, to reuse your gears you will need a Dana 44 carrier for 3:73 and down gears, then you will need the ring gear spacer. Normal Dana 44 carriers have a difference of 1/4 inch for the ring gear bolt flange, however Mahindra makes there carrier in the middle of that 1/4 inch. so withe a normal Dana carrier and the 1/8 th spacer the ring gear is back in the right position. i have been doing gear changes for my Jeep friends for over a decade, i have a set of bearing for this purpose. once i bolted up the ring gear with the spacer, using the set up bearings i set up the back lash to match what i had before the change and have been running this for over two years now without any issues. If you go with the CV axles you will also need to change the axle seals, they come with the axles and are not hard to change.