ooooooooooo

New 2018 Drum Brake Sounds

Bamagoat

Howdy folks,
Just picked up my White 2018 LE yesterday. After a year or so of waiting and wanting one. Had a rear locker installed. Normal clicks and clanks so far. Normal lunch box stuff.
But...
I have a scrubbing coming though from my left rear brake drum. It comes and goes. I noticed at the dealer. They checked it out and said the drum was touching the rear flange. They supposedly fixed it. Sure enough it was quite when I loaded it on my trailer. Took it on a night ride last night and sure enough it came back. If it’s simple, I don’t necessarily want to take it back to the dealer since they are 75 miles away. What would you guys check first? Brake adjustment??

Devildog

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Morning! And I had same issue and almost 100% Positive they left the spider gear spacer out of the Spartan locker when they installed it. Mine was left Out and I had the exact same problem your desiring. Also your rear bearing is probably blown out and chances are your inner seals are gone p.m. if you have any questions

Last edited:

Bamagoat

Thank you for replying! I got lucky... I pulled the tire and drum off and found the drum was barely rubbing on the back flange on the front upper corner. I took a piece of wood and my dead blow hammer and moved it enough so now it seems fine. I took her on a 15 mile excursion and no noise! The Spartans have even quieted down in the 30 miles I have put on it since I got her home last night. Lots of folks have complained about the noise they make, but I just know that means it working as it should. Thanks again for reaching out.

B

Bister

Glad it all worked out. I don't find my lockers noisy. I here them click some in town, that's about it.

Devildog

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Sure hope that’s it! That’s a simple fix! I wasn’t so lucky lol but got my issue corrected and she’s perfect. Oh the locker pop will definitely settle down I hardly notice mine now accept fronts when the warn hub locks are locked in

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Howdy folks,
Just picked up my White 2018 LE yesterday. After a year or so of waiting and wanting one. Had a rear locker installed. Normal clicks and clanks so far. Normal lunch box stuff.
But...
I have a scrubbing coming though from my left rear brake drum. It comes and goes. I noticed at the dealer. They checked it out and said the drum was touching the rear flange. They supposedly fixed it. Sure enough it was quite when I loaded it on my trailer. Took it on a night ride last night and sure enough it came back. If it’s simple, I don’t necessarily want to take it back to the dealer since they are 75 miles away. What would you guys check first? Brake adjustment??
I had the same problem, it is a spacer that they forgot to put in when they installed your rear locker. Once they put that spacer in, your problem will be solved :) look in my previous posts I had the same issue. Hope this helps!

Bamagoat

I had the same problem, it is a spacer that they forgot to put in when they installed your rear locker. Once they put that spacer in, your problem will be solved :) look in my previous posts I had the same issue. Hope this helps!
Yeah it was perfectly quiet for 10 miles or so and then the issue came back yesterday. I am taking it back to my dealer tomorrow and leaving it to let them fix it. I will tell them about the spacer. Realty is the rear back plate hasn’t moved. The axel/brake drum has. My unit had 2 miles on it when I picked it up and no damage. I think you are 100% correct. Something is not spaced properly in the Spartan.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes, that is the exact same thing that happened to mine and it had 10 miles on it. It made a sound like the brake pad was almost sticking. They will need the spacer from the org. rear-end gears, if you have it. Hope this helps.

Bamagoat

Yeah it was perfectly quiet for 10 miles or so and then the issue came back yesterday. I am taking it back to my dealer tomorrow and leaving it to let them fix it. I will tell them about the spacer. Realty is the rear back plate hasn’t moved. The axel/brake drum has. My unit had 2 miles on it when I picked it up and no damage. I think you are 100% correct. Something is not spaced properly in the Spartan.
Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate the insight.

Devildog

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When you take it back to them, show this picture and explain that it is Installed in the spartan rear locker on step 23 and 24 but is not in the directions correctly as it also shows one for the front locker which is not required only the rear

4B614C33-40A3-4994-ABEF-B712B57ADEC6.jpeg

Last edited:

Devildog

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When take it back to then, show this picture and explain that it is Installed in the spartan rear locker on step 23 and 24 but is not in the directions correctly as it also shows one for the front locker which is not required only the rear

View attachment 4329
If they do not have the spacer anymore i.e. threw it away with your spider gears you can order one from Kaiser Willys website for $13

B

Bister

If they do not have the spacer anymore i.e. threw it away with your spider gears you can order one from Kaiser Willys website for $13
My dealer gave me back all my used parts in a box. You never know, you might want to put them back in some reason. They shouldn't be throwing anything away. Especially parts they think you don't need, then do. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

spavco

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Is there a part number or anything for that spacer? My brother just bought a roxor from the bank and we think it's missing the spacer. Thanks