ooooooooooo

street legal in pa

whiterockrunner

Anybody made it street legal in pennsylvania? I did try the search function first but did not find any threads about pa. Dirtlegal said they can issue a out of state plate but not sure how much it is going to restrict me. Just looking to drive around town not highways. Thanks

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I took a look at the PennDOT rules online, and it looks like it isn't doable. There are some exceptions, the Roxor could be a type A vehicle (<10,000 lbs GVW) if you are a farmer. You are limited to a 50 mile radius and only for certain purposes such as traveling between farm properties, or taking the vehicle in for repair. And you can only drive it on the "highway" from sunrise to sunset. You have to be a real farmer, providing tax forms as proof. And this assumes that they will let you get an exemption for a vehicle that is deemed off-road only by the manufacturer. The website below uses the word farm truck and farm vehicle, but who knows what that means to a bureaucrat?

Another route that would require a lot of work is buying a junk Jeep, combining parts from it with the Roxor, along with whatever you need to get up to minimum street legal for the year of Jeep you have, and use the VIN of the junker to get a reconstructed title. Keep all your receipts, they want to make sure you paid sales tax on everything when you go to get the title. And the vehicle must go through an enhanced inspection, working from the premise the reconstructed vehicle was badly damaged and needs to be checked carefully, so you can't just send photos and hope they won't notice that it is a Roxor in disguise. Plus proof of insurance, in either case.

Since I'm not a lawyer, the second route may be total nonsense, but it seems to be what the online documents say, and seems similar to what other states require.

Titling Registration and Exemption

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/Reconstructed_Vehicles.pdf

Doug

whiterockrunner

So I spoke with a pa dealer and dirt legal. What they do is register a street legal title in south dakota or florida with your pa address and renew that every year. I am not clear how that makes it ok to drive on pa roads but that seems to be enough. The bigger problem seems to be finding somebody to insure you for on road use.

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I spoke with a pa dealer and dirt legal. What they do is register a street legal title in south dakota or florida with your pa address and renew that every year. I am not clear how that makes it ok to drive on pa roads but that seems to be enough. The bigger problem seems to be finding somebody to insure you for on road use.

According to this web site, new residents have 20 days after taking residence in PA to transfer the title:

Motor Vehicle Information for New Residents

I would assume the same would be true if you bought a titled vehicle from out of state as well. I do agree, convincing an insurance agent to insure this vehicle would be a big hurdle, since you would need that before you can register a vehicle in PA.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

The south dakota plate is for a motorcycle. In Louisiana motorcycles by law are no more than 3 wheels. Same issues DLR brings up apply in most states. I'm just not comfortable with this work around. From being in business for many years I've learned you don't mess with the State. If you have issues driving a non street legal vehicle on the roads in Louisiana they confiscate your vehicle and it wont be released until you can make it street legal. I can just see the sheriff's office using my vehicle.

whiterockrunner

According to this web site, new residents have 20 days after taking residence in PA to transfer the title:

Motor Vehicle Information for New Residents

I would assume the same would be true if you bought a titled vehicle from out of state as well. I do agree, convincing an insurance agent to insure this vehicle would be a big hurdle, since you would need that before you can register a vehicle in PA.

The way they get around seems to be by registering in your name and address in the first place. So you are not a new resident. Just a pa resident who owns something in south dakota or florida.

whiterockrunner

The south dakota plate is for a motorcycle. In Louisiana motorcycles by law are no more than 3 wheels. Same issues DLR brings up apply in most states. I'm just not comfortable with this work around. From being in business for many years I've learned you don't mess with the State. If you have issues driving a non street legal vehicle on the roads in Louisiana they confiscate your vehicle and it wont be released until you can make it street legal. I can just see the sheriff's office using my vehicle.

Good point, Thanks! Not worth the trouble. Not fun if you are scared everytime you drive it.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The way they get around seems to be by registering in your name and address in the first place. So you are not a new resident. Just a pa resident who owns something in south dakota or florida.

My Attorney said if I set up an LLC in the licensing state I could plate it legally that way through the LLC. That way they LLC in the plating state owns the vehicle in that state not my home state. Many states have online LLC setup.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The issue revolves around the fact that the MSO says “not for highway use.” That is why it is an issue in almost every state in the Union. I hope your attorney didn’t charge you much.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The issue revolves around the fact that the MSO says “not for highway use.” That is why it is an issue in almost every state in the Union. I hope your attorney didn’t charge you much.
Brother in law. lol If you can find a state they are street legal in its a legal option.

rrt5000

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
What if you could make it a Kit Car? Is that possible? All those replica A/C cobras and such are built in garages and are titled to the state.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just got my South Dakota plates in NY and soon I'll be driving around on them. Getting insurance was easy. Together it cost me $200.

The fact that they give you a motorcycle plate is an issue. But will NY cops even know that. Will they have the right to even stop me? If they stop me I'll have plates and registration. How will they know I don't have a place in South Dakota?

I'll drive it around for a few months and report back.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BTW I drove this around NY for 2 years with zero issues but I had NY plates.

To me it much more offensive compared to the Roxor. So I feel ill be OK probably.

picture-745614.jpg

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Progressive. I did in all online in 5 minutes. Less then a $100 for liability

Mark Hazlett

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I took a look at the PennDOT rules online, and it looks like it isn't doable. There are some exceptions, the Roxor could be a type A vehicle (<10,000 lbs GVW) if you are a farmer. You are limited to a 50 mile radius and only for certain purposes such as traveling between farm properties, or taking the vehicle in for repair. And you can only drive it on the "highway" from sunrise to sunset. You have to be a real farmer, providing tax forms as proof. And this assumes that they will let you get an exemption for a vehicle that is deemed off-road only by the manufacturer. The website below uses the word farm truck and farm vehicle, but who knows what that means to a bureaucrat?

Another route that would require a lot of work is buying a junk Jeep, combining parts from it with the Roxor, along with whatever you need to get up to minimum street legal for the year of Jeep you have, and use the VIN of the junker to get a reconstructed title. Keep all your receipts, they want to make sure you paid sales tax on everything when you go to get the title. And the vehicle must go through an enhanced inspection, working from the premise the reconstructed vehicle was badly damaged and needs to be checked carefully, so you can't just send photos and hope they won't notice that it is a Roxor in disguise. Plus proof of insurance, in either case.

Since I'm not a lawyer, the second route may be total nonsense, but it seems to be what the online documents say, and seems similar to what other states require.

Titling Registration and Exemption

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/Reconstructed_Vehicles.pdf

Doug
Wondering if it could be registered through another state, then transferred to Pa???

Mark Hazlett

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The MSO does say " not for highway use". That, from my understanding, is because the lack a few items. Such as the turn signals, wipers, windshield, plate mount etc. So after making those modifications, I think an application for registration could be filed and an enhanced inspection done. Afterwards it would be like any other vehicle in Pa.. I will be checking on that before buying a vehicle I can't drive.