ooooooooooo

Speedometer Repair Service

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I posted this on all of the Facebook groups, but I figured I should post it here as well. I am offering a mail-in repair service if anyone has the dreaded dead speedometer. I've done enough of them now that I have all of the parts needed in stock and can offer a three-day turnaround time.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can you remove the pin that stops the needle from showing speed above 60?
Removing it wouldn't be an issue. I'm just not sure that the needle would function correctly afterwards though. I believe the computer that controls the needle needs both stops for calibration on startup. Has someone verified that this is not the case?

OL' Gringo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Removing it wouldn't be an issue. I'm just not sure that the needle would function correctly afterwards though. I believe the computer that controls the needle needs both stops for calibration on startup. Has someone verified that this is not the case?
How do you get to that pin to remove it.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The first thing I would do before pulling it is to verify the speed sensor is sending good data. Buy the $20 OBD2 adapter and any cheap OBD2 scanner that can read live data. A lot of people like the Ancel from Amazon. Then you can see what the speed sensor is putting out in real time. If the data comes back good, then I can replace your needle motor and motor controller.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My speedo bounces above 45. My scanguage also shows the bounce. Not sure why it does it, I just live with it.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Have you pulled the speed sensor and inspected it?
Not yet. Haven’t felt like chasing it down. Doesn’t seem to really affect anything at all. It’ll bounce up and down about 10 mph above 45, of course once the speedo is pegged it stays pegged and the bounce is only seen on the scanguage.

Toned

I posted this on all of the Facebook groups, but I figured I should post it here as well. I am offering a mail-in repair service if anyone has the dreaded dead speedometer. I've done enough of them now that I have all of the parts needed in stock and can offer a three-day turnaround time.
Can you fix the: When the odometer displays FFF?

Toned

I winded up with a Roxor cluster cause i got a call from a desperate Mahindra dealer that can't get them repaired under warranty, for months and for many clusters. I repair instruments clusters as a lucrative hobby.All of the Roxio clusters suffer from the FFF issue. Seems the software got corrupted on the chip or the chip itself is internaly damaged. I mostly suspect only corrupted. When you says the data access port is disabled from factory.
Do you have a bench set up so you can test them? More than just power up? Would it be possible ripping the code from the chip? I know some get trough with gm cars and trucks. After researching on the subject seems evereybody has a cluster replacement/ fix problem. My client said he had more than 2 dozen waiting for repair and no solution. Eager to hear your opinion. Tony Cluster.

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My speedo needle drags a bit / hangs up on the plastic disk with the numbers on it . can you fix that? The speedo works good , just need to flatten the plastic disk some so it doesn't drag .

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I winded up with a Roxor cluster cause i got a call from a desperate Mahindra dealer that can't get them repaired under warranty, for months and for many clusters. I repair instruments clusters as a lucrative hobby.All of the Roxio clusters suffer from the FFF issue. Seems the software got corrupted on the chip or the chip itself is internaly damaged. I mostly suspect only corrupted. When you says the data access port is disabled from factory.
Do you have a bench set up so you can test them? More than just power up? Would it be possible ripping the code from the chip? I know some get trough with gm cars and trucks. After researching on the subject seems evereybody has a cluster replacement/ fix problem. My client said he had more than 2 dozen waiting for repair and no solution. Eager to hear your opinion. Tony Cluster.
The MCU is an older Freescale S12 unit. They are programmed via the background debug pin. There is a programming option to disable the pin after initial programming, these seem to be configured that way. No matter what hacking tool I use, I get no response from the pin and so cannot get any data from the MCU. I don't think the on board data is corrupted, because then I would think that none of the other functions would work. These S12s don't actually have a separate EEPROM, and instead use a part of the flash storage as a sort of virtual EEPROM. Along with this, they also have flexible addressing ranges. I think the buffer that stores the virtual EEPROM address is what is getting corrupted and so the MCU no longer reads the correct address. Hexadecimal F after all indicates essentially no data, as opposed to the random garbage you would get from corrupted data.

At this point, until someone can secure a binary for the MCU, any units with a burned out MCU or the F issue are kind of out of luck. Aside from those two issues, I've been able to repair all others.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My speedo needle drags a bit / hangs up on the plastic disk with the numbers on it . can you fix that? The speedo works good , just need to flatten the plastic disk some so it doesn't drag .
Absolutely. The needle is a compression fit, so it's likely that it was installed too deep. Would you like me to PM you my address?

Toned

So if I understood correctly.
The mcu onboard memory got corrupted and even though it could still possibly be fixed temporarily by a Bin reflash, even the manufacturer will need to either change the mcu and put a new Bin in or the whole board cause of the irrevesable disabled pin on the Mcu?
I ve sent a message to Simco about the issue, wonder if I get any response. They probably got there hands tied cause of the odometer/hours meter solely in the cluster. My costumer has 2 dozen of the on warranty and cant get em fixed, this will only get worst as more fall out of warranty. Thanks for your excellent response and Merry xmas . If you have any other ideas of how to get around this my costumer has a handfull waiting.