ooooooooooo

Smoking during start

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey all. Im new to diesels. From what I've read the Roxor diesel is a reliable and old fashioned diesel designed for longevity. I also know that diesel behaves differently than gas in the cold. It's been about 30 degrees here in Wyoming and when I start it after sitting I notice it runs rough and emits visible blue smoke from tailpipe. After its warmed up I see that it goes away and runs fine. Just wanna see if this is the norm or not.
I love the vehicle though regardless. Super fun to drive!

B

Bister

Yep, mine does the same thing. If I park it in my attached garage, I stick the hose from my shop vac on the tail pipe and out the door when I start it. If it's in my work shop, it leaves a pretty good cloud, even though both places are around 50ºF. It'll be a little worse at 30º.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey look at the write up under “ Air Inlet Heater Function” under engine & tech, not sure how to shoot you the link but I found a loose connection on the heater relay and now mine starts fine and smooth in the 30’s

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey all. Im new to diesels. From what I've read the Roxor diesel is a reliable and old fashioned diesel designed for longevity. I also know that diesel behaves differently than gas in the cold. It's been about 30 degrees here in Wyoming and when I start it after sitting I notice it runs rough and emits visible blue smoke from tailpipe. After its warmed up I see that it goes away and runs fine. Just wanna see if this is the norm or not.
I love the vehicle though regardless. Super fun to drive!
Make sure your turning the key to the run position and letting it warm up prior to starting. You will see the little yellow "heating coil" light flicker. However from what I understand this uses a heater grid not a glow plug. If I do that I have a minimum of smoke and it runs just fine.

Jarob

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Totally normal for a Diesel engine to emit blueish smoke when started under could conditions. The smoke it unburned fuel not oil so nothing to worry about.

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine smokes like a mad, but I start it only like once every few weeks because I am building it and making it street legal. Smoke is a diesel thing. I kinda like it, except for when it's in the garage it will smoke you out.

cumminfourya

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine is Wyoming and does the same thing. I thought maybe it had something to do with being cold and the altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Im not into the smoke. Honestly it runs really clean when its warmed up but wow it sure does smoke when started cold.

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This seems less of an issue when it is not SUPER cold out. Also more noticeable if the vehicle has been sitting for several days or more.

TwiggRoxor

It's a diesel/cold weather thing. My '01 Cummins Dodge does the same thing - warm starts, no smoke or haze. Cold weather (Maryland here)...it's like a haze machine at a rock concert. Make sure you wait for the heater/glow plug light to quit flashing before you start it!