ooooooooooo

Roxor highway capability

bjdeacon

Hello, everyone

new to the group here. I love these Roxors and plan to get one. I do have a question though, although this won’t be my daily driver, I would like to make the upgrades to make it street legal and drive it to work a couple of days a week. The drive to work is 30 miles mostly highway. How feasible is it to want to drive my Roxor two days a week?
Thanks!

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I drive my daily here in Utah when weather warms up. Here it's licensed as a SxS so laws here say no road over 55 or highway. You would have to see how you can license it there in Kansas, what limitations exist. If you license it as a Normal vehicle you can very much get it on highway just get a tune or your stuck at 55mph.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Daily driver in Arizona.

Arizona allows SxS on city streets and highways with small plates. As CJ2ROX said, each state has its own rule on what is street legal for a SxS.
Also, every state has different rules on how to get a VIN and actual car registration (big plates) for a Roxor.

After tune and with 3.73 gearing, 65 mph is a comfortable speed - for driver and machine.

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello, everyone

new to the group here. I love these Roxors and plan to get one. I do have a question though, although this won’t be my daily driver, I would like to make the upgrades to make it street legal and drive it to work a couple of days a week. The drive to work is 30 miles mostly highway. How feasible is it to want to drive my Roxor two days a week?
Thanks!
Like other have said, get it tuned. With a stock engine it will be sluggish. I have never driven a stock unit as I had mine tuned before I put on the trailer. After building a cab, blinkers windshield with wipers, it is highway legal now. Been on the freeway for a few short stretchs at speed without issues. Turns a bit over 2300rpm at 70

bjdeacon

Like other have said, get it tuned. With a stock engine it will be sluggish. I have never driven a stock unit as I had mine tuned before I put on the trailer. After building a cab, blinkers windshield with wipers, it is highway legal now. Been on the freeway for a few short stretchs at speed without issues. Turns a bit over 2300rpm at 70
Thank you for your response! That’s helpful

bjdeacon

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking. Just wanted you guys feedback as you have experience

bjdeacon

I drive my daily here in Utah when weather warms up. Here it's licensed as a SxS so laws here say no road over 55 or highway. You would have to see how you can license it there in Kansas, what limitations exist. If you license it as a Normal vehicle you can very much get it on highway just get a tune or your stuck at 55mph.
Thanks for the help! I’m researching laws in Kansas

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for the help! I’m researching laws in Kansas
Be mindful that if you get a new one with the 5.38 gearing it will not achieve highway speeds. The 18_19 models are 3.73 and turn engine rpms about the same as a normal pickup. 45-50 willl be your comfort zone with the later models.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Be mindful that if you get a new one with the 5.38 gearing it will not achieve highway speeds. The 18_19 models are 3.73 and turn engine rpms about the same as a normal pickup. 45-50 willl be your comfort zone with the later models.
True unless they lift and put larger tires. Then the cruising speed will increase depending on how large they go in tire size.

mopar93

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
True unless they lift and put larger tires. Then the cruising speed will increase depending on how large they go in tire size.

The tires would have to be extremely tall in order to get the RPM's to be the same at a certain speed as what they would be with the 3.73 gears. You would need a tire about 43 inches in diameter. That would be quite strange.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The tires would have to be extremely tall in order to get the RPM's to be the same at a certain speed as what they would be with the 3.73 gears. You would need a tire about 43 inches in diameter. That would be quite strange.
Correct however when lifting and going to a taller tire one usually gears lower than stock to help compensate for the increased weight and rolling resistance of the tires as well as wind resistance from the increased lift height. Imo the 3.73 is too tall of a gear even with stock tires as putting around in first moves too fast. I’m running 4.88s and 33s and was considering even going to 5.13s but decided on 4.88s to help keep the rpms down a tad more. The 5.38s with a set of 35s would be more than acceptable on the highway for cruising speed and rpm balance.

Daddyflea

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I've got 5.38s and 315/75/r16s. It's true the RPMs don't get down to the same range as 3.73s but I can do 65 at about 2650 rpms. It's not ideal, but it's ok.
Let me get this straight. I have a new 2022 and it has the 538 gears, Unfortunately mine has been in the shop now for almost two months. I did get out one time and it did run 55 but the limiter shut it down. I will be flashing the ECM as soon as I get it back but I am unsure of what speed I should set the Limiter? Not sure with these gears it will go much faster without over Reving the engine.

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Let me get this straight. I have a new 2022 and it has the 538 gears, Unfortunately mine has been in the shop now for almost two months. I did get out one time and it did run 55 but the limiter shut it down. I will be flashing the ECM as soon as I get it back but I am unsure of what speed I should set the Limiter? Not sure with these gears it will go much faster without over Reving the engine.
Ecu flash will just remove the mph limiter altogether. There's not need to set a new one.
After that it will be limited by gearing, rpms, and tires size.

Larger tires will let you roll faster at the same rpms.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have a 2020 with the same gears, you will set your limit by what's comfortable. I have a comfortable cruising speed with 235 85 R16 tires. It's still right around 55, watch your RPms and just what your comfortable with. Running into the limiter sucks and it gets alot more pep with the tune

bassguy354

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’ve got a 2018 model that is street legal in Michigan. It’s got a Diesel Freaks stage 2 computer tune & an aftermarket exhaust. I’ve had it on the interstate several times. Once I get going above about 65, mine gets a little unstable feeling. I suspect it is the wind catching the bikini top. I have barely driven it over 70, but I have seen videos of other people driving theirs in excess of 80. I daily drive mine to work when the weather is nice and the biggest problem I encounter is people trying to ask about it when I’m stopped in traffic or at a fueling station. Just be mindful of the weather & you’ll be fine!

Farmer78

Here in Texas there is an exception for farmers in the Transportation Code that allows them to drive a SXS on all highways except limited access pavements if they are within 25 miles of their home office. Just have to have an orange triangle pennant 6' above the ground much like a sand rail would run. However, there is not a way that I have seen to upgrade so that I can get a regular Texas tag. I went to Dirt Legal and they obtained an out of state motorcycle registration for mine and it has become my daily driver. 2019 model with hardcab and all the "stuff" to be highway legal. Stage one upgrade and I have had it to 76 mph on the freeway. Way to fast to drive safely.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Here in Texas there is an exception for farmers in the Transportation Code that allows them to drive a SXS on all highways except limited access pavements if they are within 25 miles of their home office. Just have to have an orange triangle pennant 6' above the ground much like a sand rail would run. However, there is not a way that I have seen to upgrade so that I can get a regular Texas tag. I went to Dirt Legal and they obtained an out of state motorcycle registration for mine and it has become my daily driver. 2019 model with hardcab and all the "stuff" to be highway legal. Stage one upgrade and I have had it to 76 mph on the freeway. Way to fast to drive safely.
I’m very familiar with the AG exemption. There’s more to it than the orange flag but that’s the only thing the Roxor lacks to comply. I use it very frequently.

What state did they give you? I’m assuming South Dakota. Good luck with that. The Roxor does not meet texas’ definition of a motorcycle. You’ll also fall under the after 30 days you must transfer registration to texas which you know can’t be done as texas won’t register a utv other than that yellow striped small plate that only gives you a 2 mile radius from home and on roads 35 mph and under. Most likely the law will be scratching their head wondering why a Jeep has a motorcycle plate. they might be ok with it and they might not.

Farmer78

I’m very familiar with the AG exemption. There’s more to it than the orange flag but that’s the only thing the Roxor lacks to comply. I use it very frequently.

What state did they give you? I’m assuming South Dakota. Good luck with that. The Roxor does not meet texas’ definition of a motorcycle. You’ll also fall under the after 30 days you must transfer registration to texas which you know can’t be done as texas won’t register a utv other than that yellow striped small plate that only gives you a 2 mile radius from home and on roads 35 mph and under. Most likely the law will be scratching their head wondering why a Jeep has a motorcycle plate. they might be ok with it and they might not.
That may be true. Had a DOT officier pull up behind me the other day while I was filling with diesel. I finished and reached under the seat to get my regitration and a copy of the Trans. Code just in case. Looked up and he was grinning at me. I gave him a wave and drove off. I was lucky I guess. If the tag does not work, I will take it off and put the orange flag back on. Probably will get to visit with a justice of the peace some day about how to use it. Luckily, I live in rural Texas and don't often drive in a big city. Just wanted to be able to drive on the interstate highways.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Being rural helps tremendously. And other than the night time prohibition and as long as the 25 mile radius works for you the code is very generous with things that are AG related. Very easy to meet code, just have to know it and be able to articulate it. That alone would probably prevent you from meeting the JP due to a ticket.