ooooooooooo

ROXOR 42" Front Bumper

Bob R1

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
To start off with, buying a Cecco 42" Basic Bumper for $200 Plus Shipping is not a bad option at all. This was my original plan. If you count in all the running around getting things rounded up and fabricated the Cecco Basic Bumper is not a bad option at all.

However I thought, I Can Build A Front Bumper.

Doing my research I determined that a 5" Channel would work for a Roxor Front Bumper. A trip to Pipe Plus near Willow Springs Missouri and I was started. They cut the Five Inch Channel with a Band Saw on both ends so that it was square. Total Length 42". I also picked up Two sections Six Inches Long of 2" X 1/4" Thick Flat Stock for the Bumper Ends.

The first thing on the build was the removal of the Factory Front Bumper. Four Bolts, and it is off. I am sure that most reading this know that the ROXOR is made with Four Bumper Mounting Nuts on each side. The Factory Bumper made from recycled Beer Cans only uses two of the four mounting points per side. You now have Four of the required Eight Mounting Bolts. More on this later.

Frame Horn Hooks:
If you plan to install Hooks on the top of the Frame Horns, this is the time to do so. This is fairly simple. Pick up the Hooks at Harbor Freight, I used the front Winch Plate hole, and drilled the second hole behind it. You will then use a Box End Wrench to hold the Flange Nut inside the Frame Horn to get the nut started. Installing the Hooks at this point beats removing the Bumper later. The Hooks are handy if you use your Roxor.

Next thing is installing the Bolt Holes to mount the bumper. A template would be handy. What I did was to do measurements and mount the Channel centered on the Frame Horns. I then used spray paint from the back to mark the Bolt Holes. This worked to a degree. Most upgrading to a much more robust front bumper will also mount D-Shackles on the bumper. Ordering the D-Shackle Mounts from Cecco to start with might help you to locate the Four bolt holes per side.
I then drilled the mounting holes from the rear where the spray paint marked the hole locations. This got me close. I still needed to tweak the holes a little for perfect alignment. I did my tweaking with a big round file. Much easier would have been a Die Grinder, or even a Rotary File for a Drill.

Next up was welding the End caps on the Channel. I took my parts to my local fabrication shop, and had the end caps welded on. The 6 Inch long sections on a 5" channel was not a mistake. I had the end caps welded on with the extra Inch sticking down on the bottom for a Tab to keep the Hi Lift Jack from sliding out from under the bumper. My rear bumper on my Wrangler MOAB has the Tabs factory installed. The front MOAB bumper made by American Expedition Vehicles is designed for the jack nose to go into a 2" X 2" hole in the AEV Skid Plate.

We are now down to clean up, and painting. I did some contouring on the Tab with a DIABLO Steel Demon Grinding and Polishing Flap Disc on my angle grinder. A wire wheel did most of the rest of the clean up. A wipe down with alcohol and I was ready to paint. First I primed with RUST-OLEUM Flat Black Primer. Then I painted with some AEV Bumper paint that I had on hand from my Wrangler MOAB Bumper Chop. No need for the AEV Bumper Paint you will do just fine with RUSR-OLEUM #331182 ULTRA MATTE Black spray paint, which is very possibly the same thing with a different label. The last coat was RUST-OLEUM GLOSS CLEAR ENAMEL.

BUMPER BOLTS:
If you have made the order with Cecco Racing for the Front Shackle Mounts. They come with all Eight Mounting Bolts.
However if you did not make the order you will probably want to go to a Roxor Dealer or Roxor Parts Direct and order Four Bumper Bolts. Another not as good option would be to stop my a Hardware Store and get the correct side Bolts and Flat Washers to mount the bumper.

The 42" Heavy Duty Bumper, with Cecco Racing Shackle Mounts and 7/8" D-Shackles, as well as the Frame Horn Mounted Hooks lets you know the Roxor is all business.

I hope that you enjoyed my build.

Bob R

Last edited:

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
To start off with, buying a Cecco 42" Basic Bumper for $200 Plus Shipping is not a bad option at all. This was my original plan. If you count in all the running around getting things rounded up and fabricated the Cecco Basic Bumper is not a bad option at all.

However I thought, I Can Build A Front Bumper.

Doing my research I determined that a 5" Channel would work for a Roxor Front Bumper. A trip to Pipe Plus near Willow Springs Missouri and I was started. They cut the Five Inch Channel with a Band Saw on both ends so that it was square. Total Length 42". I also picked up Two sections of 2" X 1/4" Thick Flat Stock for the Bumper Ends.

The first thing on the build was the removal of the Factory Front Bumper. Four Bolts, and it is off. I am sure that most reading this know that the ROXOR is made with Four Bumper Mounting Nuts on each side. The Factory Bumper made from recycled Beer Cans only uses two of the four mounting points per side. You now have Four of the required Eight Mounting Bolts. More on this later.

Frame Horn Hooks:
If you plan to install Hooks on the top of the Frame Horns, this is the time to do so. This is fairly simple. Pick up the Hooks at Harbor Freight, I used the front Winch Plate hole, and drilled the second hole behind it. You will then use a Box End Wrench to hold the Flange Nut inside the Frame Horn to get the nut started. Installing the Hooks at this point beats removing the Bumper later. The Hooks are handy if you use your Roxor.

Next thing is installing the Bolt Holes to mount the bumper. A template would be handy. What I did was to do measurements and mount the Channel centered on the Frame Horns. I then used spray paint from the back to mark the Bolt Holes. This worked to a degree. Most upgrading to a much more robust front bumper will also mount D-Shackles on the bumper. Ordering the D-Shackle Mounts from Cecco to start with might help you to locate the Four bolt holes per side.
I then drilled the mounting holes from the rear where the spray paint marked the hole locations. This got me close. I still needed to tweak the holes a little for perfect alignment. I did my tweaking with a big round file. Much easier would have been a Die Grinder, or even a Rotary File for a Drill.

Next up was welding the End caps on the Channel. I took my parts to my local fabrication shop, and had the end caps welded on. The 6 Inch long sections on a 5" channel was not a mistake. I had the end caps welded on with the extra Inch sticking down on the bottom for a Tab to keep the Hi Lift Jack from sliding out from under the bumper. My rear bumper on my Wrangler MOAB has the Tabs factory installed. The front MOAB bumper made by American Expedition Vehicles is designed for the jack nose to go into a 2" X 2" hole in the AEV Skid Plate.

We are now down to clean up, and painting. I did some contouring on the Tab with a DIABLO Steel Demon Grinding and Polishing Flap Disc on my angle grinder. A wire wheel did most of the rest of the clean up. A wipe down with alcohol and I was ready to paint. First I primed with RUST-OLEUM Flat Black Primer. Then I painted with some AEV Bumper paint that I had on hand from my Wrangler MOAB Bumper Chop. No need for the AEV Bumper Paint you will do just fine with RUSR-OLEUM #331182 ULTRA MATTE Black spray paint, which is very possibly the same thing with a different label. The last coat was RUST-OLEUM GLOSS CLEAR ENAMEL.

BUMPER BOLTS:
If you have made the order with Cecco Racing for the Front Shackle Mounts. They come with all Eight Mounting Bolts.
However if you did not make the order you will probably want to go to a Roxor Dealer or Roxor Parts Direct and order Four Bumper Bolts. Another not as good option would be to stop my a Hardware Store and get the correct side Bolts and Flat Washers to mount the bumper.

The 42" Heavy Duty Bumper, with Cecco Racing Shackle Mounts and 7/8" D-Shackles, as well as the Frame Horn Mounted Hooks lets you know the Roxor is all business.

I hope that you enjoyed my build.

Bob R
Sounds like a good build. I’d love to see a couple pictures of it. I’ve been thinking about the Ceeco myself, because i worked with electronics, my metal/wood building skills are dreadful. But winter is coming soon, and that sounds like a fun thing to try

Bob R1

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
reedcharlie75 PM Me with your Cel Phone Number, and I will send you a picture or two. You are more than welcome to post them if you would like. I have no idea how to post a picture now days.

Bob R

Bob R1

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Reedcharlie75

Front Bumper Pictures sent.
If you can post the pictures on here, be my guest.

Bob R

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Bob R1’s bumper pictures

Resized_20241014_153401_1728938062700.jpeg Resized_20241014_153326_1728938025531.jpeg

Reactions: 1BB