ooooooooooo

Question - Transfer Case and Manual Transmission Fluid - GL4

SKW

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The owner's manual states that the transfer case fluid and manual transmission fluid should be 80W90 GL4 gear oil. I have looked extensively and find that GL4 is really hard to come by. I saw on the back of a GL5 80W90 that it states that it does protect against corrosion of copper and bronze... So, what are you guys using?

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I ordered my GL4 from amaazon .There is a hand pump on there too that makes filling easy. ((it just fits on the jug.) I'll have to look at my jug to get the name of the 5 star that I chose - I did the replacement last year when I torn up the pinion seal with a piece of wire.

Reactions: SKW

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The owner's manual states that the transfer case fluid and manual transmission fluid should be 80W90 GL4 gear oil. I have looked extensively and find that GL4 is really hard to come by. I saw on the back of a GL5 80W90 that it states that it does protect against corrosion of copper and bronze... So, what are you guys using?

Just got my Roxor today. I’m checked all my fluids except the transmission. The owners manual as very nice detailed instructions for every thing except the transmission. How do you check the transmission fluid level. I did find a plastic plug on the top of the transmisson.

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It’s on the driver side between the clutch fork and the reverse switch

42A9016D-84B7-4A82-A012-B4B00F7E8128.jpeg 707266C3-6D9D-4312-90A9-26F399DDEBE0.jpeg

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks, I’d seen that plug but did not think it was high enough to allow for 2 quarts below it.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Excellent! I had also been looking for where you could fill the transmission fluid. I experienced the same thing that many of the members have in that fluid in my differentials and transfer cases were quite low. I'm worried the same is true of the transmission. Does anyone know how you determine whether the fluid level is low? Is it the same as in the transfer case and differentials? If you open the plug and it's not dripping out then it's too low?

I also had a hard time finding GL4 80W90 but eventually tracked down some GL4 85W90 at NAPA Auto parts. Because I rarely drive my machine when it's cold out (if ever) I am hoping 85W90 will be a reasonable replacement for 80W90. If anyone thinks what I add it is a problem please let me know and I'll replace it with the spec fluid.

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
85w90 should be fine, as long as it’s GL-4. Checking level is the same as the diffs and transfer case

B

Bister

I found Pennzoil 75W90 Syntheic GL4, thats all that was anywhere near me and to the specs, so that's what I'll be using now since I blew a bunch of oil out, my bad. The spec say 1.6 litres for the TCase, it takes about 1.8 to get it to flow out the hole, that's probably why everyone feels they are low. The factory is probably measuring the 1.6 litres. That 200ml won't make a difference in my mind. Transmission is probably the same. I checked mine and had to bend the pinky to touch the oil. I didn't add any to it.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wound up buying 2 quarts of royal purple 80/90 gl5/4 fluid. Took both bottles to top all me gear boxes off. Bottle specifically states It’s safe for all yellow metals in trans. Good enough for me. I think it’ll end up Being what I keep on hand to put in all boxes. Probably end up buying it in a 5 gallon pale and putting it in my homemade fluid dispenser to make top offs easy.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for everyone's quick replies and helpful feedback. Glad I'm not doing this alone!

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I found Valvoline conventional 80W-90 that says it is suitable for both GL4 and GL5 applications. Does that make sense to you all?
The label says:
"Recommended for conventional hypoid differentials and non-synchronized manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or GL-4 fluid is specified."
It is priced at $7.99/qt or $24.99/gal at Advance Auto Parts.

1590092085167.png

1590092085167.png

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I found Valvoline conventional 80W-90 that says it is suitable for both GL4 and GL5 applications. Does that make sense to you all?
The label says:
"Recommended for conventional hypoid differentials and non-synchronized manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or GL-4 fluid is specified."
It is priced at $7.99/qt or $24.99/gal at Advance Auto Parts.

View attachment 6647

View attachment 6647

Says non syncro trans. I’d pass. Synchros are usually a yellow metal so if it’s safe for that your good. Not sure if the trans is syncro but I would assume so to play it safe. I’m fairly positive it is. You don’t want any fluid that will attack the yellow metals (synchros).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes, Roxors have a synchronized trans. Easy way to tell if a transmission is non synchronized is if you have to double clutch to shift

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I also found Valvoline synthetic 75W-90

View attachment 6648
Yes, Roxors have a synchronized trans. Easy way to tell if a transmission is non synchronized is if you have to double clutch to shift
[/QUOTE
Thanks - I'll keep looking - GL4 is hard to find.

Ljb1993

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I found this a little too late, but I couldn't find any gl-4 either but I found out mobil delvac 1 trans 50 covers gl-4 spec and I think a 50 weight engine oil converts to a 90 weight gear lube

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
GL4 80/90 is commonly used in construction or farm equipment. For instance, mini excavators require it in the planetary gear in the final drive. I have been buying GL 4 80/90 at the local farm supply store (Cal Ranch) for some years. I just bought a galon last week for about $30. Brand is Harvest King.
If you have any tractor dealer or heavy equipment dealer near by, see if they have it.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks AZROX - this is clever 'work-around'.