ooooooooooo

Process for street legal in Michigan?

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am getting Roxy ready to get street legal in Michigan, when the law goes into effect at the end of the month and I was wondering does anyone know what the process is going to be get the new title and plates?

Here is everything I have done on my Roxor to get it street legal, am I missing anything, I went off the states old TR-54 form?

On the Rox windshield frame and had Glass Dr install Dot approved glass in it.
Windshield wipers
Windshield washer
Turn signals
License plate holder and light
Outside mirrors

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am getting Roxy ready to get street legal in Michigan, when the law goes into effect at the end of the month and I was wondering does anyone know what the process is going to be get the new title and plates?

Here is everything I have done on my Roxor to get it street legal, am I missing anything, I went off the states old TR-54 form?

On the Rox windshield frame and had Glass Dr install Dot approved glass in it.
Windshield wipers
Windshield washer
Turn signals
License plate holder and light
Outside mirrors

The bill would require the Secretary of State, upon application and payment of proper fees and submission of all documentation required by the Secretary of State, to issue a VIN in the manner provided in Section 230 of the Code and a certificate of title to an assembled vehicle that satisfies all applicable requirements of the Code and that contains the following equipment: Headlights, including at least one headlight on each side and high- and low-beam headlights. Front and rear turn signals. At least one taillight. (If the vehicle had two taillights, both would have to be in working order.) Registration plate light. Brake lights. Horn. Bright light indicator. Windshield wipers.

House Fiscal Agency HB 5639 (proposed H-1 substitute) Page 2 of 2

Windshield washers. Brake equipment as required under the Code. Safety belts. (This would only apply to 1965 and newer model vehicles.) Safety glass windshield. (The windshield could not be made of plexiglass, would have to be of a sufficient size to protect the driver of the vehicle and passengers, and would have to be made of a transparent material and be free of cracks or obstructions.) An adjustable outside rearview mirror on the driver's side, except that a truck with a half-ton or more capacity would have to have an outside rearview mirror on each side of the vehicle. For a passenger vehicle, bumpers that are between 14 and 22 inches above the ground when the vehicle is not in 4-wheel drive. Tires that have 2/32-inch tread, do not have exposed cord or tread separation, and are approved for use by the United States Department of Transportation. Exhaust that is in good working order and does not produce excessive noise. (If the original design of the exhaust included a tailpipe and resonator, the exhaust would have to include a tailpipe and resonator.) Differential gear.

The bill will take effect 90 days after being enacted.

tcxtreme

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
It will probably take you a couple trips. You will have to go to the cop shop and have them look at your roxor im sure. then take the forms back to the SOS

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
yes, and sounds like we will probably need to wait to have the police inspect until SOS release the inspection form, which probably won't be until around 1st of April.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I went to get my vehicle registration tags today and asked what’s going to be the procedure for getting the sxs’s plated and she says you can only get them plated if they were previously, She doesn’t know anything about the new bill and didn’t want to hear anything about it, instead of arguing I said I’ll see you at the end of the month when you get your paperwork on it. But like others said, it’ll be some form you bring to the proper authority and get signed off.

xm381a2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Michigan SOS March 28 is the day the process to start info from Secretary of State Lansing forms provided by Leo TR-54 look for dates 2019 not 2017.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Do you have a link to the tr-54 dated 2019, the only one I can find on the SOS is 2017?

xm381a2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
They will be available at the end of the month and by law enforcement officers that inspect their road Worthiness

bassguy354

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Like the rest of you Michigan folks, I've been working on getting my Roxor up to the state's road legal standards. There is one thing that may be difficult for us: insurance. Does anybody know where to get full coverage Michigan no-fault insurance for a road legal Roxor? If so, how much are you being quoted? Does it get insured as a Roxor or as a generic assembled vehicle? If anybody finds a great deal or an agent that understands how to insure the Roxor properly & cheaply, please share with everyone else! Thanks!

PS- gofer99, did you get your Roxor at Leaders in Kalamazoo?

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
yep, bought it at Leaders in Kazoo.

No idea on insurance yet, the companies that keep coming up in other posts are State Farm and Progressive, that they may have "on road" insurance for the Roxor in other states.

xm381a2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ins will not be that bad but will depends on your Insurance policies and company.
If you insurance as off road and then get legal for road it may be dicey.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
update - I called my county sheriff's department today to get an inspection and of course they have heard nothing on the new law (HB5639). He said he would send somebody out to inspect it, if I can validate that I can get road insurance (which is really irrelevant for them to get a title) and a copy of the new law with the new form. Once I can get the new TR-54 they are getting a call back to say come on out.

xm381a2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The new law will not be in effect till the 28 of March when it takes effect so April Tr-54 should be updated by sos.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
From SOS in Michigan

Public Act 680 of 2018 was signed into law by Governor Snyder this past December. The law amends the Michigan Vehicle Code to allow a side-by-side ORV to be re-titled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use. The new law was effective March 28, 2019. Owners of side-by-side ORV utility vehicles such as the John Deere Gator and Polaris Ranger will be eligible to modify their units for on-road use. Owners will follow the Department’s standard assembled vehicle title procedure. The ORV must be retrofitted to have high and low-beam headlights, brake lights, taillights, turn signals, horn, windshield, windshield wipers, windshield washer, street-legal tires, and all other on-road equipment required by the Michigan Vehicle Code. The ORV will be re-titled with the make showing as “Assembled” and a new state-assigned vehicle identification number (VIN). To be eligible for a license plate, the ORV must be insured with Michigan no-fault insurance, the same type of insurance that other on-road vehicles must have. The Department cautions that ORV owners should be aware that an increasing number of insurance companies are no longer insuring these for on-road use due to liability and safety issues because the ORV was originally manufactured exclusively for off-road use. Owners are encouraged to see if their insurance company will issue on-road no-fault insurance before modifying their ORV.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I wonder, if a Roxor has the state required equipment, already has a license plate and insurance, but from another state, will it be accepted? In other words, can a AZ plated Roxor VISITING MI be OK? I'm going to go with yes. But never know if there is specific language not allowing such.

In a nut shell, I know I can use my Roxor anywhere in AZ, anywhere in UT except freeway and some other limitation, I think MT, ID, WY, and WA. NV I'm not sure, CA and OR a hard no for now. Seems that I can go from the Mexican to Canadian border no problems.

We should form up a quick down and dirty Roxor friendly with notations what we can and cannot do.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
" can a AZ plated Roxor VISITING MI be OK? I'm going to go with yes."

Wouldn't say that yet, previously an individual was busted with an out of state plate on a Roxor, things may have changed with the updated law in Michigan that was just changed.

gofer99

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ready for the LEO inspection, talked with my insurance agent and they were able to quote a "on road" policy, should be getting closer. For grins, I called Progressive just to see if they could quote a policy and was told no.

Bill Patridge

Founding Member
Ready for the LEO inspection, talked with my insurance agent and they were able to quote a "on road" policy, should be getting closer. For grins, I called Progressive just to see if they could quote a policy and was told no.
Keep us informed...