ooooooooooo

Painful first gear acceleration

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just took delivery of my roxor.

Everything seems fine except for acceleration on 1st gear.
It's just ridiculously bad. Once it gets going its fine. But I'm shocked at initial acceleration from a stop.

Is this normal?

15658091123958440514374855122714.jpg

MAGAHAWK

It's just ridiculously bad. Once it gets going its fine. But I'm shocked at initial acceleration from a stop.

Is this normal?

View attachment 4435[ Looks nice in red - Your Roxor is intended as an off road machine, hence the gear ratio and torque factor. It will climb a wall in 4 low. You're probably just used to your 911 or the Audi.
get it off road where you can enjoy it and use as intended - who knows, we might even get you converted to a off road enthusiast yet. Enjoy nature and get a little mud on your tires. Guarantee you it beats the hell out of putting around on a Vespa. Have some fun (chicks dig it too) :cool:

MAGAHAWK

Looks good in RED :cool:Your Roxor gear ratios and torque factors are designed for off road use You can damn near climb a wall in 4Low. You're probably just used to driving your 911 or Audi. Get out there and get a little mud on your tires and enjoy nature - we might get you converted to an off road enthusiast yet! Guarantee you it beats the hell out of putting around on a Vespa!! Have some fun!! PS: Chicks dig it too

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You would be surprised by the vespa :)

Called the dealer. He thinks it's unusual. Probably sending someone over to check it out.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just took it for another drive- there is a burning smell like the handbrake is on- but it's off

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just took it for another drive- there is a burning smell like the handbrake is on- but it's off
Mine had it too. It’s the paint around the exhaust cooking off. Every new vehicle has it but you smell it less due to a cab around you. It’ll go away after a little use.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Keep in mind that it’s a 3,000 lb vehicle with 64 hp. An ECU tune can double that for $695.
Burning smell is normal and wears off after the first tank of diesel or so.

B

Bister

It is probably off and just the new smell burins off as mentioned above, but might be worth it to jack it up and spin the wheels to make sure.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks- good ideas.

It was standing in the wet for about a year- so corrosion isn't out of the question. The low hp and high weight could also have something to do with it. But on a slight incline- it takes about 5 seconds plus to get moving, revving up to 3000hp. Makes me feel that its a corroded brake.

Spinning the wheels individually is a great idea

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks- good ideas.

It was standing in the wet for about a year- so corrosion isn't out of the question. The low hp and high weight could also have something to do with it. But on a slight incline- it takes about 5 seconds plus to get moving, revving up to 3000hp. Makes me feel that its a corroded brake.

Spinning the wheels individually is a great idea

My advice would be just drive it. It seems like a lot of guys on this site are spending all day working on their roxors, and then fixing their modifications. Do you want to be one of the guys who has fun with his roxor, or do you want to spend your weekends cursing at it? Your at a fork in the road and it's time to decide your fate.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It turns out I am a massive dummy. It was in 4 wheel drive all along. I put it in 2 wheel drive and all was well. It's not a Ferrari but it did manage to chug along at some kind of speed.
The right solution is usually the simplist one. Lesson for life.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes. it's respectably slow. After all, there's just not much about Roxor's 1947 aerodynamic design that says speed. Like a truculent turtle, it's strength lies elsewhere. The tough 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine is geared for longevity, quietly capable of pulling loads greater than the vehicle's weight and in 2H/4H accelerates faster than most tractors. I have not had an issue with the time it takes to reach top speed and frequently don't get beyond third gear. Many 4 wheelers easily could leave me in their dust; more importantly, cows never do. Were I doing a lot of urban/highway driving in addition to off road, and acceleration was a factor, I might opt for something else, but, chances are, it wouldn't have near the charm. As for OEM turn radius, that's arguably the easiest of any Roxor fix -- less wrench time than it takes to crawl underneath. Embrace the quirks, enjoy the throwbacks to an earlier era and have fun with yours.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Oops it started again. Can't go up a minor hill in 1st. And a smell of burning brake. I am thinking its a rusty handbrake cable. I will find out tomorrow

Bhayarock

Oops it started again. Can't go up a minor hill in 1st. And a smell of burning brake. I am thinking its a rusty handbrake cable. I will find out tomorrow
Can you keep track of engine RPMs in the first gear and also when you switch to 2nd.
May be others who have stock ECUs can correlate with yours.
I am hoping you already corrected your transfer case mistake and assuming it's a manual be sure you are not keeping a foot on the clutch too much while in 1st gear.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

Is this normal?

View attachment 4435
I just picked my new 2019 this afternoon, and that's exactly how I felt when I first jumped in it. I had to drive it about 50 miles from the dealership to home on city streets, and for awhile I was disturbed by the total lack of acceleration. But by the time I got halfway home, I realized I had been driving this vehicle wrong...like it has a gas engine...like I've pretty much always driven gasoline powered engines, basically getting my foot into it, hitting fairly high RPMs.
Then I thought about it...this little diesel makes it's peak torque at about 1,400 RPMs...why the hell was I reving it up so much? Try keeping the RPMs down...put it in it's powerband and you'll be surprised at how much quicker it becomes. I mean it's not breathtaking by any means, you have to be realistic, but once I realized I was driving it wrong, it started to really shine. Plus, First is only meant to just get it rolling, then hit Second, but keep the revs down and it picks up speed a lot quicker.

Last edited:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
These Roxors scream for a stage one tune , mine now that we doubled the hp is almost too fast ! On the highway the time to reach 75 is quite short , very responsive. ..... My problem is it’s too long legged, not enough gears or too many ! Off rd I have to just leave transfer case in 4 Lo and drive around in second gear.......as far as diesel peddle goes I don’t really need it all that much. I pull a 8’ off rd trailer for landscaping work , you never know it’s behind with all that tourq.....I long for a ten speed trans or a two sp axle, or both !

B

Bister

Sounds more like the clutch is slipping. You sure that isn't clutch you smell, not brakes?

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I went to mechanic and I think he was correct in his assessment that it was a stuck caliper.

The reason why it was intermittent was because it happens when it heats up. So first thing in the morning it's cooler and it's fine. Later when it gets hotter it starts binding.

And that's exactly what it feels like.

He couldn't be sure because it was fine when I went early this morning. I need to heat it up but it's not legal for me to drive on road yet so it will have to wait a week to be sure.