ooooooooooo

Oil leaking from filter on *very* cold start

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Started up the Roxor today. It was very cold, around 3 deg F. It actually took two tries to start. After it got started and I got done running it I noticed a small puddle of oil under the Roxor. It looked like it was coming from the oil filter.
Yes, I do know how to change a filter and oil but was wondering if perhaps the super cold temps maybe had something to do with it? I've not had this issue before however I've never started it when it was this cold.
Can thick oil build up pressure in causing it to squirt out where the weakest link is? Once it warms up again I'll probably call my dealer but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Brett09

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I've ran into this before a couple times in the past. It's happened at different temperatures. All of the times I've verified the filter was tight and the seal was seated upon removal. Each time a filter replacement cured the problem. Its not common but not unheard of.

In your case being that it was so cold out the filter and the sealing surface could have not had adequate pressure to fully seal or it could have been defective. I would replace the filter and top off the oil. Monitor the area on your next start up until operating temperature.

To answer your question about pressure the filter itself has a spring at the bottom that will allow oil to bypass the filter media if the pressure is high. The filter itself could be defective and have been more then the seal could retain. Again I would replace the filter and go from there.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've ran into this before a couple times in the past. It's happened at different temperatures. All of the times I've verified the filter was tight and the seal was seated upon removal. Each time a filter replacement cured the problem. Its not common but not unheard of.

In your case being that it was so cold out the filter and the sealing surface could have not had adequate pressure to fully seal or it could have been defective. I would replace the filter and top off the oil. Monitor the area on your next start up until operating temperature.

To answer your question about pressure the filter itself has a spring at the bottom that will allow oil to bypass the filter media if the pressure is high. The filter itself could be defective and have been more then the seal could retain. Again I would replace the filter and go from there.

x2

General

Founding Member
Remember that gaskets will deform and leak if they're squeezed too tightly during install (correct torque). Screwing on the filter too tightly will cause the O-ring to flatten and enlarge so it no longer creates an ideal seal, causing occasional leakage. I don't think this effect is affected much by temperature though. I just checked the Mahindra filter, and comically it says, "Over tightening can cause leakage."

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: I went and tightened the filter. I checked oil and it was still within the acceptable low and high notches on the dipstick. Started her up and the leak appears to be gone. Wondering if the dealer just didn't tighten the filter enough when they changed the filter (I bought a demo model with 500 miles on it, so I made sure the oil had been change before I signed the purchase agreement).
The cold start and VERY cold oil could have increased compression enough to blow it off a little. Oh well, I will keep monitoring it to be safe.