ooooooooooo

New Member in AZ

Tokarev

I recently learned about the existence of Roxors from a co-worker. He retired and is talking about buying one as a retirement toy. He bought some land in Georgia and wants something to putt around on.

I have owned a few Jeeps over the years and have always kind of enjoyed them so looking to buy a Roxor seems more or less like a no-brainer. I haven't decided which model to go after yet but am currently leaning towards a "Classic" and adding/subtracting stuff as need and/or money allows.

Anyway, here is a recent experience:

I went to the closest dealer over the weekend to take a spin. Walked around and kicked the tires on the one 2018 on the lot. We jumped in to go for a test drive.

Immediately upon pulling out of the parking lot the check engine light comes on and we lose power. Flooring the peddle made the engine bog badly as did pretty much anything other than idle.

The poor salesman still tried to keep it happening. Told me the rig has a two year warranty and they will fix the rig Tuesday. I told him there should be nothing to fix because the rig was brand new and shouldn't need warranty work from sitting on the lot. I live 140 miles from the dealer and took the check engine light as a sign of things to come. Do I want to have to trailer a rig 280 miles (maybe 560 if it has to be left there) every time it needs work?

Too bad. I like the way these look and the classic design appeals to me. I guess Mahindra cloned the Jeep right down to the reliability...

Having owned Ural and Royal Enfield motorcycles, I understand that funky mechanical issues and routine maintenance are part of the charm. I assume Mahindra knows the general reputation of stuff made in certain countries and has looked at trying to avoid a certain stigma by setting up assembly in the US. Anyway, I don't mind doing general maintenance stuff but don't want to have to haul the rig to a dealer every time there's something funky due to bad assembly and/or QC.

People understandably ask why someone would buy this over a used CJ/YJ/TJ. That's a valid question. For me, the appeal is the bare bones simplicity along with a turbo diesel.

I have to admit I'm still somewhat charmed by these. But I think I might start watching Craigslist and similar sites instead of looking at new.

Here's the culprit with the check engine issue:

741606ae1f0e049472e68ea87143c0be.jpg

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Where are you at in az. I have to go to mesa. From Harford area.

fourhounds

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I recently learned about the existence of Roxors from a co-worker. He retired and is talking about buying one as a retirement toy. He bought some land in Georgia and wants something to putt around on.

I have owned a few Jeeps over the years and have always kind of enjoyed them so looking to buy a Roxor seems more or less like a no-brainer. I haven't decided which model to go after yet but am currently leaning towards a "Classic" and adding/subtracting stuff as need and/or money allows.

I went to the closest dealer over the weekend to take a spin. Walked around and kicked the tires on the one 2018 on the lot. We jumped in to go for a test drive.

Immediately upon pulling out of the parking lot the check engine light comes on and we lose power. Flooring the peddle made the engine bog badly as did pretty much anything other than idle.

The poor salesman still tried to keep it happening. Told me the rig has a two year warranty and they will fix the rig Tuesday. I told him there should be nothing to fix because the rig was brand new and shouldn't need warranty work from sitting on the lot. I live 140 miles from the dealer and took the check engine light as a sign of things to come. Do I want to have to trailer a rig 280 miles (maybe 560 if it has to be left there) every time it needs work?

Too bad. I like the way these look and the classic design appeals to me. I guess Mahindra cloned the Jeep right down to the reliability...

Having owned Ural and Royal Enfield motorcycles, I understand that funky mechanical issues and routine maintenance are part of the charm. I assume Mahindra knows the general reputation of stuff made in certain countries and has looked at trying to avoid a certain stigma by setting up assembly in the US. Anyway, I don't mind doing general maintenance stuff but don't want to have to haul the rig to a dealer every time there's something funky due to bad assembly and/or QC.

People understandably ask why someone would buy this over a used CJ/YJ/TJ. That's a valid question. For me, the appeal is the bare bones simplicity along with a turbo diesel.

I have to admit I'm still somewhat charmed by these. But I think I might start watching Craigslist and similar sites instead of looking at new.

View attachment 4592

fourhounds

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If your seatbelt is not fastened she will only move about 3 mph. and lots of black exhaust LOL I learned the hard way
Also the 2018 model top speed only 45...... 2019 top speed is 55. Stock

Tokarev

If your seatbelt is not fastened she will only move about 3 mph. and lots of black exhaust LOL I learned the hard way
Also the 2018 model top speed only 45...... 2019 top speed is 55. Stock

We checked that but the seatbelt was securely fastened and the "seatbelt" light was off.

I talked to the salesman briefly a few days ago. He said the shop was able to diagnose and fix whatever the problem was although he didn't know what was the cause or remedy.

rseth020

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Found this ...eric anderson from mahindra explaining 6 major difference between roxor & sxs.

Something to notice is he said "still classified as UTV"

fourhounds

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Each state has different requirements. Some include must have Windshield, Wipers, license plate light, back up lights, turn signals, horn, seatbelts, DOT approved tires, curb weight, able to maintain posted speed limits and on and on...…………………......
So because you may have it lawfully registered as road worthy in one state it may not be legal in another state

Last edited:

fourhounds

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

View attachment 4592
check out the rear wheel well / very poor prep for paint / already peeling off...….. my roxor also too

Phoenixbob

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We checked that but the seatbelt was securely fastened and the "seatbelt" light was off.

View attachment 4592

I talked to the salesman briefly a few days ago. He said the shop was able to diagnose and fix whatever the problem was although he didn't know what was the cause or remedy.
Nash in Mesa? They got 2 of those silver ones in from a dealer that went under I was told. I have one of them and it runs fine. But I am not too far so warranty work is not too much of an issue.

Tokarev

check out the rear wheel well / very poor prep for paint / already peeling off...….. my roxor also too
I see that in the photo. Didn't notice it while at the shop.

Yes. Nash Powersports.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DAMCars

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I was at Nash Scottsdale today picking up my console upgrade and they had a silver one. Looks nice in person.

Tokarev

I was at Nash Scottsdale today picking up my console upgrade and they had a silver one. Looks nice in person.
Yeah I liked the color. They also had a sort of matte gray one at the Phoenix location.

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That might be mine. It had 6.8 miles on it when i got it. Came from del rio texas, some company that did not want to do business with roxor anymore i was told. If it is the same one, it hasnt given me any grief yet.
There were 3 of the same color and 1 black one that came to az from tx from an auction, the sales guy told me. 1 is claimed so i have a 50 percent chance that one is in my garage.

Last edited:

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine does have bare metal where tape covered holes the underneath before spray, dents or protrusions on the sides from factory welds, rust here and there from sitting in the elements for a year in Tx. Other than that, showroom quality, ha ha.

Last edited:

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That is it. That was scottsdale tokarev, wasnt it? I got it on the 6th.

20190906_144429.jpg

Tokarev

Whatever the issue I'm sure it was no big deal and promptly fixed.

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wonder if they had a tune put in. If the boost pops that vacuum hose off without the hold down bracket, all those things will happen I believe. It would be a shame if that's what happened, lost a sale because of a stupid hose..

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
They did not advertise it with a tune, nor charge for it when I bought it. Does now though, ha ha.
I suppose it still could have been that (vacuum hose coming off). Any other ideas on what it could have been? I suppose it does not matter now, and I shouldnt let it bother me.